Roadtrip 2014 - Patent Pending

Yep. Next year he'll have an ignition coil and a belt with him. It's quite possible nothing of that breaks but the alternator itself instead. :p

I put a 15A fuse in for the beakelights instead of the 10A one which originally belongs there, I already know which cars are equipped with fire extinguishers, just in case?

Last edited:
*Nothing that you have a spare of will break, everything else will*

This is one of my concerns about doing the RT in the Land Rover, I know I'll need lots of spare parts and something is bound to break that I can't fix.

...always check your belts?

We did. And we saw how it was one thread thinner everytime we looked. :D
And the sound of the belt shredding itself slowly to pieces had quite a presence.

The car will be ready at about 13:00. After that I can join the others again. Today is Transfagarasan day!

And this is the point where I slowly start to hate you people...

I started years ago. Saves time.

I want to see things. Not like last time, where we took a billions videos and none have surfaced afterwards.

Reactions: MWF
And the job is done. A new belt and all is well again. I'm underway in the next few minutes. Transfasagaran here I come!

Damn great road, this. I'm now on top of the Transfasagaran. 47, are you reading this? About how damn good the road is? :D

Ok, sorry.

Reactions: 47
You bastard!! :p

Yes, I know it's damn good, I'm partly responsible you're there, I wanted to see it again.
Of all the roads and alpine passes, this one I love the most. Maybe because Romania is a bit 'different',
or maybe because that was my first big trip with the bike, I dunno.
And if at least a part of the southern part is newly paved, then it should be even better!

Have fun you guys! And I hope someone bough me a fridge magnet !

Reactions: lip
Exactly. Pics or GTFO! :D

You should have come along :p

You should have come along :p

Exactly. Hehe.

And now currently I pay dearly for my gloating, because the Laguna is back in the Garage in Sibiu, with its check engine light on and roughness at idle. - One of my spare coils may come in handy.

Hey, the lady at the garage showroom just gave me a free coke. Yesterday it was 3 Lei. Maybe I looked more broken when I walked in today. :lol:

Report:

One coil got replaced today and during the first few minutes after leaving the Garage all was well, but the roughness and the blinking engine check light soon came back. Meh. - But instead of going back to the same garage I now went to the main Renault dealership in Sibiu for a bigger check.

And that check showed that the Laguna's engine is on it's last stretch: It seems rubber parts from the inside of the main wheel that drives the aux-belt have found their ways into the engine.

The car is still somewhat driveable, but in now way is it in a condition to get limped trough the rest of the Roadtrip. So I have decided to end my participation.

I talked on the phone with my towing insurance, and it turns ot I only have free car- and driver recovery in Switzerland and all EU-Countries, but not in Romania. - So on then with the game of driving the car into Hungary. If I break down there the Laguna will be brought home without costs, and also I get a train or a flight ticket.

And now, I have won the first round already: I'm currently about 80km after the Romanian/Hungarian border! Ha!

1. To all the Roadtrip people: Have a nice rest journey. And again, thanks for the patience and help.

2. Adrian, I still have one of your radios including handheld and arial in my car. PM me an adress where I can send it back to you.

3. I assume reservations are not a problem with camping places and with 47's pad, but I think there are still 2 hotel stopps which probably still want my reserved room to be payed, even if I dont use it. To the poor chap who has to fork out that money, again send me a PM with A Bank number and I will send you the dosh.

And now the game is on again, for the second round: I still have to do 1000km from here in the southeast corner of Hungary to my homeplace in Switzerland. In a car that has its engine warning light now permanently on, tries to shake of its stickers during idle, and basicly could crap out at any moment. - Watch this space. :D

Over and out.

I have free towing even in Romania, just have to claim I was passenger.

Wow lip, good luck!