Roadtrips 2017 - Be they Big or Small

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Since Adu already started the Ringmeet 2017 thread I figured what the hell let's start bandying ideas around for Roadtrips. I will be bringing a vehicle of my own on one of them next year and I may even be in a position to partake in something more than a three day sprint.

One idea I have had is France - we've done bits here and there on other roadtrips before but never something with a truly Gallic flavour but there are other European options available of course. I do love the Balkans too. And the Alps.

Ah fuck it, go crazy. People can only say "no".

Let's collate ideas here then one or other or both trips can split off into separate threads.

For the long roadtrip we've tried brainstorming it with our usual group, but not much success so far.

I was floating the idea of doing Estonia to western Russia (Spb, Moscow) and back via northern Ukraine (Kiev, Chernobyl, Lviv). Finns were up to it and also Adrian, but everyone else seemed strongly opposed :p Granted, it wouldn't be much of interesting driving, but for sure, some sort of interesting experience.

The other briefly discussed option is Spain. We haven't been there yet, and they certainly have their share of hilly terrain and scenic locations. Even just the Pyrenees would be interesting for me. This got most support, and looks most likely right now, but very little to no planning has been done.

Ivan was enthusiastically planning for Balkans in 2018, so we've crossed it off the list for 2017.

As usual, due to Finland's proximity to nothing interesting and the cost of bringing cars over the Baltic sea, I'm not very interested in short trips. It's all or nothing for me, can't say which yet. In any case, I have no opinion on the short trip.

Since I will most likely have female company this year I am pondering just getting the ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo the weekend before Ringmeet then spending 4 days travelling east in a leisurely fashion taking in parts of France.

It's not a group roadtrip but it would be a nice way for Michelle and I to spend a few romantic days together before hooking up with a bunch of herberts from the interweb at Victoria Station.

I suggested Iceland since they seem to have quite a few great roads and best of all, no traffic. You could go for hours without seeing anyone!
Downside of course is that it is very expensive to get the cars over there. But it has to be done at one point

I am all for France/Spain or maybe even Africa... :)

Anything that doesn't require me to purchase a passport and request a visum please.

Spain ftw.

Due to logistical constraints of roadtripping in southern France or northern Spain, I will probably just roadtrip to the Ring and back from Finland, via the Baltics. If I do it in the Polo, I'll factor in a visit to the Wolfsburg plant; if I do it in the Mi16, it's a bit different. All depends what cars I'm running in August and which ones are road legal. I think the Balkans are being planned for 2018?

At the last count three, plus a detachable lady-garden that is dry clean only.

I suggested Iceland since they seem to have quite a few great roads and best of all, no traffic. You could go for hours without seeing anyone!
Downside of course is that it is very expensive to get the cars over there. But it has to be done at one point
As mentioned on Telegram, expensive is understating it. For a car ferry from Denmark, for one car with two people in one cabin it's ?2k round trip.

As mentioned on Telegram, expensive is understating it. For a car ferry from Denmark, for one car with two people in one cabin it's ?2k round trip.

This did actually pique my interest, and it's something I'd really want to do. Prices in April seem to be less than half that (400 something per person with a small car) and you can book a group cabin where a bed costs 9 eur per person.

If ever we did that I'd get a cheap flight and a rental. Could get a manual Mazda CX3 for 3 days for just over ?200. Return flights can be had for a little over ?100 a head if you look hard enough and book at the right time.

If ever we did that I'd get a cheap flight and a rental. Could get a manual Mazda CX3 for 3 days for just over ?200. Return flights can be had for a little over ?100 a head if you look hard enough and book at the right time.

Iceland tour with rental roulette max 200eur for the whole time, make some sort of TG race of who get best deal :D

also still waiting for a desition on what is the main roadtrip so i can calculate if i can afford it :(

edited a typo :p

I'm heading near Italian lakes, to tour the surroundings and southern Switzerland. Planning on returning to my roadtrip roots, so to speak. Good roads, occasional hiking stops etc. Open for company if someone else wants to head that way. :)

Iceland tour with rental roulette max 200eur for the whole time, make some sort of TG race of who get best deal :D

That sounds like a good laugh, looks like there are lots of cars to choose from including the Duster. Lots of dirt roads to play on.

Highly unlikely that I'll be doing a roadtrip this year though.

also still waiting for a desition on what is the main roadtrip so i can calculate if i can afford it :(

Spain = rentalbro's?