Roman's rides: turbo PT & '94 Miata.

Roman

Resident Skydiver
Car(s)
Boring '02 Accent.
About time I got my own thread in this section.

It'll give me a chance to show you my new toy. :)

As of this spring, I now have two cars to have fun with.
I still have the PT which is the year round daily driver.
And since the PT is no handling king and doesn't have a sunroof, I got me a Miata to have a lot of fun in the sun.

So here they are, I managed to get both clean for a photoshoot not too far from here on a somewhat nice day that I was off
(very tough for me to get all those conditions together at once :eek: ):

Niceandclean2.jpg

Niceandclean3.jpg

Niceandclean4.jpg

"Attitude" shot :lol: :
Niceandclean10.jpg

I didn't think as I posed it would look that bad. :blink:

And my favorite with the two cars:
Niceandclean.jpg

Some of my new little toy by itself:

Clean4.jpg

Clean5.jpg

Not too shabby for a 14 year old car:
EngineBay.jpg

It was like that when I bought it in April and when the seller opened the hood it was deal sealer for me.

The PT hasn't changed much in the last year but I shot those two last fall and I don't think I have posted them on here yet:

nuit2.jpg

nuit3.jpg

All of them done all by myself with not so much time on my hands, a point&shoot and a tripod. :mrgreen:

Reactions: TC
Very nice! I love the "new toy" :thumbup:

A Miata and a PT Cruiser? Man, the jokes just write themselves sometimes.

:tease: :D

I like Miatas and I like white cars. Great looking little roadster you got there! Congrats!

Roman! Great to see you back - I'm liking the addition to your vehicular family too.

Who the hell did you buy that Miata from James May! Did he degrease the inside of the valve cover too?

I like Miatas and I like white cars. Great looking little roadster you got there! Congrats!

Nice to see you back on forums.

Miata looks so happy :D

Roman! Great to see you back - I'm liking the addition to your vehicular family too.

Thank you guys. :)

Who the hell did you buy that Miata from James May! Did he degrease the inside of the valve cover too?
:lmao:

It's the beauty of not being in a hurry to buy.
I saw quite a few ones that were in bad shape before I found two the same day that were equally clean, differently equipped but where one had been resprayed. I was hesitant about the respray and all four wheels had bad curb rash so I left to have a look at the other one and I ended up buying it.
It's a very rare find in Qu?bec to find a garage kept, no winter, original paint car, especially one not so new.
To top it off, it had low milleage, just shy of 110,000km and it is a Canadian car, not one imported from the US with a shady past. :)
Carfax and CarProof confirmed everything I was told by the seller and we agreed on the price, the rest has been bliss so far. :cool:

When I called the owner of the other one the next day to let him know I had made up my mind and had chosen the other one, he said not to worry about it, someone else had been over in the hour after I had left to go have a look at the white one that is now mine and had bought his green one right there on the spot. The ad was up only a single day ! :blink:
I have not regrets however as I had had time to go have a look at it before it sold. :)

Crazy Quebecers in a hurry to buy anything summer related when spring finally comes !!
If you're seriously looking for a good Miata here, you can take your time to look around but as I found out, you have to be ready to pull the trigger when you find yours. :shifty:

I've been combing Toronto for a Miata like yours. No luck yet. There are a couple with even lower mileage than yours, but they're asking for quite a lot of coin. The 1.8L from 1994-1997 are quite hard to find compared to the 1.6 1990 model.

I'm also not in a hurry to buy, so hopefully I'll be as lucky as you.
If you don't mind, can you PM me your purchase price just so I can have a comparison point?

There are a couple with even lower mileage than yours, but they're asking for quite a lot of coin. The 1.8L from 1994-1997 are quite hard to find compared to the 1.6 1990 model.

I'm also not in a hurry to buy, so hopefully I'll be as lucky as you.
You just might be luckier than I if you can wait til the end of the season.
Prices here are highest just before the white stuff goes away and that is when I found mine so it was in the market's prices but it was in a great deal better shape than the others I saw. And yes, go for the 1.8l engine if you can, it's just a better engine, especially the accessories that go around it (I can't stand a spring loaded, flow restricting, paddle air flow meter for one!).

Mine was off the road this week getting this little upgrade:

Done001.jpg

Done002.jpg

Done003.jpg

This is the real deal and no imitation style bar: it bolts in four points through the car's metal AND a backup plate on the other side using a total of 18 grade 8 bolts and nuts.
Now, I'll feel safe(r) when I'm pushing the car, especially around corners.
It also adds quite a bit of stiffness to the car's chassis.
Only downside, it adds about fifty pounds to the car.

Nice addition to the car!

At least they are not in chrome (Audi TT style) :S ;) And well... feeling safer ist worth it i suppose...
The twin hoop 'style bar' that was on the car when I bought it was chrome. :rolleyes:
Sold that thing quick and got a nice lump sum for it. Grey haired pappy's love those things and there are many driving Miatas around. :p

So my rollbar was pretty much free. :)
It does come in two available finish this Hard Dog Deuce but the other isn't chrome, it's polished stainless steel and it costs twice as much as the powdercoated one like I have.

Ok, then let it be polished stainless steal (and actually don't know whether the TT has chrome or those polished rollbars) - still looks cheap despite the price ;)

But hey, maybe it's just my jealous me talking. I would love a TT or a Miata - and if i had one i wouldn't care if even the roof was completely chromed :D So to the Miata i say really nice car. The PT Cruiser, hmm... well it looks very good - for a PT Cruiser :D

Chris

Ok, then let it be polished stainless steal - still looks cheap despite the price ;)
Don't get me wrong, I prefer the powdercoated look too for a safety item like a roll bar, especially as it might end up padded to complete the job.
What I meant to say that might not have come out like I intended is that style bars although they almost look the part, offer no protection (no braces, held up by only two bolts) and are made of chromed, thin walled tubes as opposed to roll bars that meet safety standards which are polished SS instead of chromed.

So to the Miata i say really nice car (1). The PT Cruiser, hmm... well it looks very good - for a PT Cruiser :D (2)
(1) Thanks. :)
(2) I get that a lot. :lol: :thumbup:

style bars although they almost look the part, offer no protection

Theres a reason theyre nicknamed 'mousetraps'. :p To be honest, the chances of rolling the car are very slim. The chances of you rolling at an angle where a rollbar/cage will actually protect you are even smaller. That said, I run a Carbing four-point on mine, and wouldnt be without it now:

http://img214.imageshack.**/img214/8458/cagedw7.jpg

http://img214.imageshack.**/img214/4081/14cv6ze1.jpg

Harddog stuff is excellent though, almost bought an M2 before this.

To be honest, the chances of rolling the car are very slim. The chances of you rolling at an angle where a rollbar/cage will actually protect you are even smaller.
True, on both counts.

As the saying goes:"Prepare for the worst, hope for the best"....

It could serve only to give me peace of mind whenever I push it a bit and double as a chassis stiffener for as long as I have the car and I wouldn't be happier ...but if I should ever really need it, it'll be there.

:)