Router Issues: Router is browing out

Whappeh

Car(s)
05 Nissan Xterra 4x4
What would happen in the long run by plugging a 1amp plug into a router that only needs 0.5amps to operate?

Other then the obvious it explodes and I get aids.

Backstory: I got a new router, and the power has just not been staying on. I've had the dongle it came with, rated at 0.5amp pluged into it all day, and it'll turn on, run for about 30 minutes then pop off really fast. My old router from the same company had a 1amp plug that fits the new router, and when that is plugged it, it doesn't seem to have any connection issues.

Oddly, this started today. It ran fine for 48 hours on the 0.5 plug before it started browning out. Does anyone know of anything else that could potentially cause this? It also started when I was using bit-torrent to download some stuff and had to open my ports for the new router.

Any and all help is appreciated.

It will "wear down" the eletronics inside it. Basically, self destruction.

It will "wear down" the eletronics inside it. Basically, self destruction.

I was told that the voltage (which is the same) is more important then the amps, which are not. And thus it could be fine.

I was told that the voltage (which is the same) is more important then the amps, which are not. And thus it could be fine.

Generally that is true, as you'll do more harm with say a 12volt laptop that you plug an 18volt power supply into rather than going from 0.5amp to 1amp. You can shorten the life in theory but I don't think you'd break it anytime soon.

If you just bought it, why not just exchange the thing? It's probably defective.

If you just bought it, why not just exchange the thing? It's probably defective.

Since yesterday was trash day, I tossed all the boxes and whatnot. <_<

Edit: And the 1amp switch seems to be holding, so I'll just use that until a problem is presented.

As long as the voltage is the same there is no problem. A device pulls current(amps) the charger does not push current. So as long as the voltage is the same the router will only pull as much current as it needs. You will not hurt the router in any way.

As long as the voltage is the same there is no problem. A device pulls current(amps) the charger does not push current. So as long as the voltage is the same the router will only pull as much current as it needs. You will not hurt the router in any way.

^What he said. The amps on an adapter/power cube/plug are a rating, i.e. that's how much current you can safely run through the adapter. The Adapter itself only provides the voltage, and as long as that's the same as your old one, you could be using a 500 amp adapter for all that it matters.

What's probably the real reason your router is giving out is because it's cheap and can't handle all the connections that bittorrent uses.