router reports some random local IP to dyndns.org

thevictor390

Teen Wankeler
Car(s)
'17 Mazda MX-5 RF, '89 Toyota Blizzard SX5
I have a dyndns.org account set up, but my new router keeps providing it with the IP address 192.168.1.47. That's clearly a local IP and there isn't a local device on my network using it. WTF?

I'm really not very good with networking but the router seems to understand its WAN IP according to the web interface. I also updated the firmware but it didn't help.

And idea what could be wrong? Is my shiny new otherwise-perfect router finally revealing its fatal flaw?

Sorry the router is behind a cable modem that, to my knowledge, is just a modem and nothing else. I have never attempted to configure it and wouldn't be sure exactly how to do so. It's never been necessary even for dyndns.

Last edited:
That really sounds like a machine is reporting its internal IP to DynDNS, but if you're sure there isn't a machine with that IP, I have no idea. Is your network on the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet?

The gateway (router) is 192.168.1.1, 255.255.255.0 subnet mask. 192.168.1.47 would be valid but as far as I can tell (list of connected devices and trying to ping the address), there is nothing at it. There has to be something I'm missing.

I give up, I completely turned off dyndns on my router and my account is still being mysteriously updated with 192.168.1.47. What. The. Fuck.

Sorry to bump this topic again, but it must be recorded to the annals of history that I am an idiot. I borrowed a cheap router from a friend a while back, programmed my dyndns info into it, then returned it a while later. He proceeded to implement it behind another router on his local network. You see where this is going.

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall: