Routers for the year 2020

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
The future is now and isn't it glorious? No? Shit....

I've been running a Netgear N600 type router since around 2013-2014ish. I'm pretty sure it's out of support since the news with recent security warnings have not warranted any updates from netgear for my model of router. Currently I have this wireless router hooked up to my IP's modem and just have my N600 router be the DHCP server as well. I am not a guru when it comes to home networking at all. I've tried to change the admin ID and password from default but can't find that on this router. I'm not a complete dunce but also not someone who knows the ins and outs. My home devices are my work iPhone 8, an HP Envy laptop from 2016 connected via wireless, an older AMD A10 build which is wired Ethernet to the router, a recently built Gigabyte X570 Ryzen that is wireless build and an Insignia smart TV connected via wireless that does Youtube and Netflix. TV is only on when I use it as in, it's on a powerstrip I am turning on an off between uses.

What's good theses days for my use case? Only 1 or 2 devices are used at a time, my home is around 1240 sq ft/115 cu. meters. While it would be cool, it's not required to get wireless out to the deck or my garage. House is from 1922 while it has been remodeled, it still can kill 2.4GHz as soon as you step outside. Router is currently in the basement because thats there the line comes in and I can't be bothered to move it. It reaches all corners inside the house so I'm not concerned.

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'13 Moto Guzzi V7, '08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
I repurposed an old Core2 duo as a pfsense box. It is a bit more on the technical side and has a British car interior as an interface, but it's secure by default.

I've been recommending Apple Airports for awhile. They still provide security updates and they are secure by default. ~$100 for one on eBay.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo
I'm kind of sort of in the market for a router too. I had an AC Airport for a little while back when they were current and really liked it. Not much in the way of features which is another way of saying "very little to go wrong". Sadly, my ISP cranked up the speeds which meant I got a new cable modem, which couldn't be bridged so I had to go back to using the features built into the modem.

Now I have a new modem again which isn't half as reliable as the old one was, but I had to get one because my ISP got absorbed by a bigger one and discontinued software updates for it.

I'm not against spending money on a solution that works, and I've been eyeing this:

https://store.amplifi.com/products/amplifi-mesh-wi-fi-system

I've used their pro-sumer networking gear before and it seems to be solid, feature-rich and very good value.

A single wifi source covers my small flat just fine, EXCEPT for a spot in the bedroom, and while in my car outside. The latter might sound like a first world problem but it's annoying to have spotty wi-fi on the driveway when your trip usually begins by firing up a streaming service.

Last edited:

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
Hey, so I'm avoiding work at the moment by looking at routers again. Since this work from home stuff is more common, I've noticed my router likes to just disconnect all connections once a day whenever it feels like it and that's become annoying.

I'm not against spending money on a solution that works, and I've been eyeing this:

https://store.amplifi.com/products/amplifi-mesh-wi-fi-system
This looks like a good solution as I can put those narrow bars on opposite ends of the house so that I can get signal across my property in the yard as well. What I did notice is for some reason, Newegg is charging almost double for the "gaming" version which according to Amplifi is optimized for NVIDIA KLAUWD or whatever. Amplifi themselves charge less than $400 for it while Newegg wants $730 for the same thing...

Are there others I should be looking at?

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
06 XTerra, '00 VFR800, '07 ST1300, '11 Multistrada
We bought the NETGEAR R6700 Nighthawk AC1750 - it's absolute garbage. The thing needs to be power cycled every 48 hours or so just to stay up and the app is useless because it only works if the router is online. I'm also interested in a replacement.

RdKetchup

Snow Mexican Surender Monkey
DONOR
Car(s)
FoRS, Japanese touring triple
I bought a ASUS RT-AC3100 recently, and it's been working fine.

Before I had been using 2 ASUS RT-AC66U (creating a wireless bridge) for a few years.

Netgear is on my "never buy again" list.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
06 XTerra, '00 VFR800, '07 ST1300, '11 Multistrada
After this experience, it is for me too. Netgear used to be bullet proof, now it's barely functional.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
The thing that concerns me about getting a new router is, do I need the one that looks like a Gamer Edition alien fighter hawk or what? My new pc is Wifi6 ready, My internet speeds are 12mb down 2mb up, I game online but that seems to be ok with current hardware.... I don't need something that can accept 10Gbit network speeds, I don't do a lot of transferring. I have a 1.5TB usb drive connected to my router that has movies and stuff on it that I will watch from sometimes. highest res video has been 1080 which is rare. Every night I go to bed with a top gear episode played from there and it's been flawless.

What other information would be missing?

Perc

Car(s)
for me one of the selling points of the amplifi is that the repeater device plugs straight into the wall with no wires.

73GMCSprint

Car(s)
1973 GMC Sprint, Buick 455/TH400; 1994 Jeep XJ 4.0
After past experience working in IT, I will never buy Netgear. I've seen malfunctioning Netgear hardware take down an entire college LAN. Whenever the network went down it became a game of "find-the-old-Netgear-card-and-replace-it." If any other manufacturer's hardware died (unlikely in the first place), at least it only affected a single computer or switch.

For personal use, I've had both Asus and Linksys. I liked the Asus RT-N66U until it became unstable after about 4 years. It was fast, good UI for configuration, and was stable. Until it wasn't.
I replaced it with a Linksys EA9300. Compared to Asus, the UI is seriously lacking, but you eventually get things set up. Performance is generally good. I do have to reboot every now and then, maybe monthly. There's something about streaming media that bogs it down after a while, but a reboot fixes it.
I find it amusing you can still buy a new WRT54GL. But then again, it's probably the world's most reliable router.

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
Car(s)
3 of them
Can confirm, I had a WRT54 for about a decade before something that makes a whining noise when it breaks broke.

I am currently Using an E1200 that has been very good for me, except for the problem that our increased use means we are now reaching its limits for LAN. The poor thing seems unable to keep up without noticeable latency when hit by four phones and three computers simulatneously. It also has 10/100 ports which makes things like Parsec or streaming 4k content a bit of a toss-up even on a "clean" network. It will be replaced with an EA6350. It has 802.11ac, a better range than the 1200, and gigabit. For our uses and at under $40 renewed on Amazon, it's a steal.

Perc

Car(s)
I was stuck with a Fritzbox cable modem that thankfully was rock solid, reliable and fast, because it couldn’t be bridged. What killed it was when my ISP got bought up and the new company stopped providing security updates for the old modem. I eventually decided I wanted current updates so I had to buy their new standard modem, an Arris that so far has proven to be less than reliable. It has to be rebooted maybe be-weekly which is annoying when the Fritzbox needed prodding once maybe every five years or so.

Good news is the Arris can be bridged, which means I can turn it into a dumb cable bridge and pair it to a nice mesh setup whenever I decide I’ve had enough. Right now it feels dumb to invest in AC, but Wi-Fi 6 gear is expensive so the project is on hold for now.

Vipergts662

Car(s)
2016 Holden Commodore (chevy ss), 2010 Ford Edge
Ubiquiti is pretty damn good, I have their UniFi gateway attached to our modem and two of their aircubes as repeaters. No issues with any of their stuff unlike the netgear routers which are complete garbage.