RS4 vs E46 M3

• Total voters
I'm sure this is a repost...

But M3 CS FTW.

Current gen? Then the RS4.

Fuck all this cock-talk.

I'm going to say C63 AMG.

But I'd kill for an M3 CSL.

Bad comparison. B7 RS4 is a 420HP high revving V8, the E46 M3 is a 340HP high revving I6. Both handle beautifully. RS4 comes with 4 doors and usable rear seats and AWD to make sure that power can be put down even in less than perfect conditions. No matter how you stack em against each other the RS4 wins. Current M3 vs RS4 is a different story however.

For my family planning (none yet) the m3 is enough for at least 2.5 years. afterwards I can always get another car

Easy...B7 RS4 is a faster, more practical car. It also has a more updated interior unlike the last gen BMW.

However...if it was the RS4 vs E90 M3 vs C63 amg...that would be the hardest decision in the damn world. I would not be able to make the decision between the M3 or the C63...M3 has a sweet high reving V8....but damn the C63 has a 6.2l V8 with mountains of torque that sound amazing.

see? impossible...i would just have to get both.

E46 M3 should go down in history as one of the best looking cars ever made, especially for the money but the RS4 is what I would rather own as my primary car.

The one that drifts, no fun in understeering awd.

the 10 year old kid in me agrees with you, but the adult with a brain and half a clue realizes that i'm never actually going to 'drift' in a drift capable car in any real world driving conditions, so i'd rather have the RS4 for the rear doors, practical 4 door subtle rocket FTW.

The one that drifts, no fun in understeering awd.

If you are understeering you are doing it wrong :p With 420HP V8 you can drift it quite easily. You could always put a 2 way diff in the back and a diff with more rear bias in the center :p

the 10 year old kid in me agrees with you, but the adult with a brain and half a clue realizes that i'm never actually going to 'drift' in a drift capable car in any real world driving conditions, so i'd rather have the RS4 for the rear doors, practical 4 door subtle rocket FTW.

Well, then drift it on trackdays? Simple as that.:)

If you are understeering you are doing it wrong :p With 420HP V8 you can drift it quite easily. You could always put a 2 way diff in the back and a diff with more rear bias in the center :p

No real need with the RS4...it already has a 4:1 Ratio Center diff. Back end will step out just fine. If we were talking about an S4, thats a different story, it only comes stock with a 2:1 ratio.

Last edited:
Bad comparison. B7 RS4 is a 420HP high revving V8, the E46 M3 is a 340HP high revving I6.

Easy...B7 RS4 is a faster, more practical car.

Not quite, Audi puts down about the same power (slightly more at times) as the M3 on the dyno. The AWD system is notorious for drivetrain power loss.

RWD Coupe with an efficient powertrain FTW. Besides the straight 6 revs much harder and more thrilling than the V8. The sense of urgency is what the RS4 lacked.

But it's all personal preference, both are properly fast cars.