Rubber trim around windshield ripped. How best to fix?

cookiebun

Car(s)
a bad one
Can I fix this myself with a glue gun or should I take to a windshield shop?
My dad says the windshield could pop out if I don't get it fixed.
It's about an 18 inch length of rubber that's ripped. I have it tacked down now with duct tape.
It's a crap car, not worth spending a ton of $ on. :)
Thanks.

I don't think your window will pop out. If I am reading you correctly, you are talking about a rubber peice that is the outer most layer, that is really more for looks than any form of structural restraint.

Exactly, I think this is just your "weather strip" that is suppos to direct rain water from the roof of the car. I had the same problem and replaced it with simple black electrical tape. You have to be really close to the car to notice.

My rubber seal on the bottom of my windscreen went all hard, cracked (because my car's outside all the time) and bits are missing but it's not terribly necessary.

A few things though, how old is the car, model/make etc? Older cars have windscreens which are inserted by a rope in a thick rubber seal, if that's the case then you may have problems. Newer cars windscreens are different as the glass is effectively glued on to the chassis with sealant and sticky backed foam (that just stops the sealant gushing out the sides when they secure the widscreen.) The rubber seals not being there won't make the windscreen pop but depending how bad it is, it may not be wise to plan a long journey.

Thanks for the replies.
It's a 2001 Korean import I got pretty cheap 4 years ago. The damage actually happened during a 110 mile drive. Other than killing 2 batteries, I've had no serious problems with this car.
Except for the psychotic power locks.