Rumormill: Front-wheel drive, hybrid Honda S2000 "replacement" coming in 2012

my_serious_business.jpg

"FWD motorcycles..." :lmao: :roll:

20090718-b3ybycbkhsajq4nrfy3pqhwny.jpg

I lol'd.

I'm not bashing RWD or AWD, they are absolutely fantastic in many applications. However, I strongly disagree with the ignorant idea that FWD is boring, useless, and slow. That's all I'm trying to point out.

Fair enough. I would personally love a Mini S for some back roads fun and daily driving (parking is soooo easy).

Klankymen,

Dude you need to keep in mind that with short wheel base RWD is HORRENDOUS, think of driving a go kart on daily basis and spinning out everytime you try to take a corner at a decent rate of speed. I've been to a go kart track where they go like 40mph and it was hard work keeping that tail in check.

Think of a Mini S with supercharger fed torque going to the rear wheels on such a short wheelbase. The car will be extremely tail happy (any MSM drivers feel free to chime in since you would have relevant experience here) even under regular conditions. With a wheel base as short as the Mini FWD is not a problem at all (dynamically speaking).

Here is my breakdown on layouts (mind you I prefer RWD to anything else for fun)
FWD - great packaging, lowest driveline loss, lowest weight, performs well in wet and dry conditions.
RWD (FR) - great weight distribution, medium driveline loss, medium weight, great for handling, best in dry conditions.
RWD (MR) - best weight distribution, best dynamic weight transfer (CoG in the middle of the car), similar to FWD in packaging/driveline loss, should be slightly better than RWD (FR) in the wet.
RWD (RR) - absolutely insane, Porsche is the only company that can pull it off SOMEHOW.
AWD - usually front heavy (though S5 is 52:48 front:rear weight), highest weight, highest driveline loss, most effective at torque distribution, huge advantage over the other two in everything but dry conditions.

In a low power car FWD would be a very viable choice. Higher power vehicles will benefit from RWD/AWD.

Dude you need to keep in mind that with short wheel base RWD is HORRENDOUS, think of driving a go kart on daily basis and spinning out everytime you try to take a corner at a decent rate of speed. I've been to a go kart track where they go like 40mph and it was hard work keeping that tail in check.

My Miata scoffs at such accusations! As does my former AW11 MR2. ;)

Why Honda doesn't just take the FWD powertrain and make it a mid-engined car is beyond me.

Klankymen,

Think of a Mini S with supercharger fed torque going to the rear wheels on such a short wheelbase.

Short wheelbase? Didn't Jeremy Clarkson always bang on about the new Mini having the same wheelbase as the Land Rover or something?

My Miata scoffs at such accusations! As does my former AW11 MR2. ;)
How much power does your Miata make though and is it force fed? You can't compare an MR to an FR you know that :p
Why Honda doesn't just take the FWD powertrain and make it a mid-engined car is beyond me.
Simple, you make more money on something that ANYONE could buy/drive than something only enthusiasts would enjoy. Remember the S2000 was VERY niche, you need to be OK with relatively slow/low power sports car that will handle great. Most of my friends like the car as a daily but would want something with more power if they are going to track it. So basically if you have some twisty roads by where you live its awesome otherwise Z cars from BMW are more preferable.
Short wheelbase? Didn't Jeremy Clarkson always bang on about the new Mini having the same wheelbase as the Land Rover or something?
He also said that AWD works using magic and unicorns... I wouldn't really go by JC.

He also said that AWD works using magic and unicorns... I wouldn't really go by JC.

Actually the first generation new Mini did have a wheelbase that was only an inch or two shorter than that of the old Discovery.

Karts have a locked differential (solid axle), so naturally they're quite slidey. I don't think it's just because of their short wheelbase.

I think we only need to look at the Clio V6 and the BMW 1 to see the effects of RWD in a small car. From what I read, they're very nice handling little hatches.

Simple, you make more money on something that ANYONE could buy/drive than something only enthusiasts would enjoy. Remember the S2000 was VERY niche, you need to be OK with relatively slow/low power sports car that will handle great. Most of my friends like the car as a daily but would want something with more power if they are going to track it. So basically if you have some twisty roads by where you live its awesome otherwise Z cars from BMW are more preferable.

Honda should make a Z-like car with a bigger V6 in the middle. Like an NSX lite with a V6.

Last edited:
Actually the first generation new Mini did have a wheelbase that was only an inch or two shorter than that of the old Discovery.
Weird.....
Karts have a locked differential (solid axle), so naturally they're quite slidey. I don't think it's just because of their short wheelbase.

I think we only need to look at the Clio V6 and the BMW 1 to see the effects of RWD in a small car. From what I read, they're very nice handling little hatches.
Well that and rear wheels doing the braking so I think you are right it was not a good analogy. Not sure about Clio but the 1 series is not that short of a wheelbase.

Honda should make a Z-like car with a bigger V6 in the middle. Like an NSX lite with a V6.

They should also bring back the NSX :D

So basically an NSX, seeing as how the NSX already was a V6 car.

Yeah, Honda should bring back the NSX... what do you say to a 7 seater sliding door FWD minivan? That would be worthy of the name "NSX", right honda?

So reading the article, it's going to be FWD, hybrid and at best a hard top convertible.

This article decided to put "s2000 successor" as nothing more than to try and drum up some hits.

I'd wager it's more likely to be a hybrid 'vert, which realistically makes sense as it's a market no one has gone after. And we all know the greenies would snatch these up so now they can enjoy the earth they are trying to save ( :rolleyes: ) just a little bit more.

Oh and to the OP: Whats so bad about a sporty hybrid? If done right, and someone will eventually, could lead to a fun to drive car that gets excellent gas mileage, and will cost a tone in maintenance :p

This article decided to put "s2000 successor" as nothing more than to try and drum up some hits.
That is exactly what I was going to come in here to say. The S2000 will probably be either killed or redesigned. This thing, this eco-bullshit thing, will be more like a Toyota Avalon convertible fighter ... thing.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?!!

FWD S replacement? What's Honda doing?

Klankymen,

Dude you need to keep in mind that with short wheel base RWD is HORRENDOUS, think of driving a go kart on daily basis and spinning out everytime you.

Thats also because a go-kart doesnt have a diff.

So reading the article, it's going to be FWD, hybrid and at best a hard top convertible.

I'd wager it's more likely to be a hybrid 'vert, which realistically makes sense as it's a market no one has gone after. And we all know the greenies would snatch these up so now they can enjoy the earth they are trying to save ( :rolleyes: ) just a little bit more.
Problem with a hybrid vert is aerodynamics and weight. Remember main reason Prius looks like shit is to decrease drag otherwise hybrid system is not really helping much.
Oh and to the OP: Whats so bad about a sporty hybrid? If done right, and someone will eventually, could lead to a fun to drive car that gets excellent gas mileage, and will cost a tone in maintenance :p
Hybrid = more weight. Driven sporty it won't be getting good mileage so really it makes no sense.

Hybrid = more weight. Driven sporty it won't be getting good mileage so really it makes no sense.

Agreed. In addition, I hate the bullshit about hybrids being so great for the Earth. Stupid Prius has the worst manufacturing process ever....

I would much rather have a sporty diesel than a sporty hybrid, like that BMW 330d tuned by Wetterauer in S05E03 of D-Motor. That thing was sickkkk. :cool:

I mean, Honda can go ahead and make this car, just don't call it a successor to the S2000. Call it something else.

Edit: Lol, just realized I made the first post and the hundredth post on this topic. :lol: