Rumormill: Front-wheel drive, hybrid Honda S2000 "replacement" coming in 2012

I'd say that small affordable sporty cars as a group are endangered, and it doesn't matter which wheels are driven.
Its the sad state of the Japanese auto companies many becoming boring. All starting with Toyota, dropping every single fun car in their lineup. The 90s saw the demise of my car(last RWD sedan for their world lineup not Asia) and the Supra, the MR2 and Celica died by 2005 for most markets.

I admire Mazda attempting to keep sport alive in as many of its cars as it can. Its so nice to see a whole lineup which at least has spirit. Mazda has stayed true its sports cars with the MX-5 still going and at least a Rotary powered car. Everyone else except Nissan(they only dropped the SX cars) has decided to make money instead of making exciting cars.

I admire Mazda attempting to keep sport alive in as many of its cars as it can. Its so nice to see a whole lineup which at least has spirit. Mazda has stayed true its sports cars with the MX-5 still going and at least a Rotary powered car. Everyone else except Nissan(they only dropped the SX cars) has decided to make money instead of making exciting cars.

Everyone?

800px-2008_Subaru_WRX_STI_front.jpg

You still haven't told me a damn thing about it. What is it? Whats it running for a drivetrain, etc?

It's a Ginetta-Zytek hybrid LMP1 car being run by Corsa Motorsports. It uses a tandem drive system, like the Prius or any other conventional hybrid, but it charges the batteries with the brakes. The driver can select how much electrical boost to run with, even going so far as to run the whole thing with the electric motor (it can reach only 75 MPH using the motor).

So far, it's pretty slow (the Ginettas have been), but it uses a ton less fuel so if they can get the bugs worked out it may prove incredibly competitive. Lime Rock was only it's second outing, and it's first official race. It finished 3rd, but it was 7 laps down on the two Acuras. However, it's about twice as efficient as the other LMP1s.

Ginetta's pushing it because they are going to be producing a lot more hybrid and pure electric sports cars.

Last edited:
Everyone?

800px-2008_Subaru_WRX_STI_front.jpg

STi is awesome but it's a rally car really. As an AWD driver I can tell you that AWD on tarmac is not quite as exciting as RWD also the reason why MX-5 and the S2000 are so great is because of their low weight so they are very chuckable, STi/Evo as awesome as they are are just too heavy for throwing them around corners.

STi is awesome but it's a rally car really. As an AWD driver I can tell you that AWD on tarmac is not quite as exciting as RWD also the reason why MX-5 and the S2000 are so great is because of their low weight so they are very chuckable, STi/Evo as awesome as they are are just too heavy for throwing them around corners.

well the trick is to use the clever diffs and awd to rocket out of the corner as if there is an ax murderer behind you. Evo and STi are VERY fast on tarmac. They are very different from the miata or s2000 in the mission and feel, but they are fast nonetheless

well the trick is to use the clever diffs and awd to rocket out of the corner as if there is an ax murderer behind you. Evo and STi are VERY fast on tarmac. They are very different from the miata or s2000 in the mission and feel, but they are fast nonetheless

No argument there :)

what is it with the dullness these days the companies must understand there is still people who would quite like a simple, affordable car with RWD besides aren't all the S cars RWD?, it is this kind of fucked-up decisions that make me cringe (see: exterior design of the new jaaaaag XJ) and see this year as another black age in car design (see: 1970's)

come to think the only fun cars from japan that i can think of are: the MX-5, the Evo, the impreza, and the S2000

Last edited:
what is it with the dullness these days the companies must undertand there is still people who would quite like a simple, affordable car with RWD besides aren't all the S cars RWD?, it is this kind of fucked-up descicions that make me cringe (see: exterior design of the new jaaaaag XJ) and see this year as another black age in car design (see: 1970's)

come to think the only fun cars from japan that i can think of are: the MX-5, the Evo, the impreza, and the S2000

RX8, 350Z, RSX Type-S, Civic Si, Mazdaspeed 3... just some off the top of my head that are still in production (I assume your "list" doesnt include older cars)

RX8, 350Z, RSX Type-S, Civic Si, Mazdaspeed 3... just some off the top of my head that are still in production (I assume your "list" doesnt include older cars)

RSX is still in prod? They don't sell em here though :( What are S cars btw?

Seems our only refuge for cheap RWD car is from the company we always make fun off :D

RSX is still in prod? They don't sell em here though :( What are S cars btw?

Seems our only refuge for cheap RWD car is from the company we always make fun off :D

LeVeL, in regard to your post, i only listed some cars that i recalled on top of my head still, thanks for listing those aswell and yes, that list excludes older cars if it didn't the RX-7 and celica will be there at the top

and to answer you prizrak, the S cars were small rodsters built by honda in the 1960s and the S2000 of today there was the S500, the S600, and the S800, often they were chain drive, just like a bike, and they revved to 9000+RPM

S500

800px-1963_Honda_S500_01.jpg

S600

HondaS600-001.jpg

S800

HondaS800.JPG

and last but not least the S800 race car

S800%E3%80%80RSCrececar.JPG

Fast doesn't always equal fun or excitement. The most entertaining thing about my friends 2.5l turbo WRX is the noises it makes. It's extremely uneventful (though fast) on any kind of road or track, but they don't seem to really egg one to drive for hours on end in the mountain/canyon roads here.

Everytime I hit the end of a twisty road in either of my cars, regardless of it having been 2 hours in 100F temps, I always have to contemplate heading home the easy, low fuel sipping, way or having another go.... and then I let everyone know i'll be late for dinner and head back up the mountain :thumbsup:

gaasc,

Thanks I want those S cars BACK!!!!!!!!

thedguy,
Sadly I know exactly what you are talking about, my car is extremely uneventful to drive its a very point and click type of vehicle.