Autoblog: Rumormill: Lamborghini to build SUV atop Porsche Cayenne platform?

nsx_23

Forum Addict
lm002.jpg

Browse posts by:

Make/ModelVehicle Style/Type
All Categories
Features
Breaking news:

First official 2012 BMW M5 shots hit the web

??
Rumormill: Lamborghini to build SUV atop Porsche Cayenne platform?

by Jeremy Korzeniewski (RSS feed) on Jun 15th 2011 at 8:59AM

Lamborghini LM002 ? Click above for high-res image gallery

It's been a while since we last heard rumors of a Lamborghini LM002 revival, so we figured it was high time to dip our toe back into the Rambo Lambo waters. Auto Express is reporting that Lamborghini and Porsche, both under the control of the far-reaching Volkswagen Group, are considering a collaboration that would see a new Italian SUV be built atop the platform that will underpin the next Porsche Cayenne.

Instead of the V6 and V8 engines (also available in hybrid and turbocharged guises...) used by Porsche, the Lamborghini 'ute would reportedly use one of the Italian firm's trusty V12 powerplants. Auto Express quotes unnamed sources as saying the Lambo SUV is seen as a competitive advantage over rival Ferrari. While Lamborghini has a history building military-spec machinery like the LM002 (coupled with its history in farm equipment), Ferrari purists would surely shun anything but a true sports car from Maranello.

In addition to the SUV, a production version of the four-door Lamborghini Estoque, which would use a platform shared with the Porsche Panamera and also likely an Audi A9 and future entry-level Bentley models, would also be on the menu. Might these two future Lamborghini machines constitute the "everyday" model line the automaker is looking for? Time will tell.

Estoque, LM002, new gallardo and Aventador in the same showroom would make for quiet a sight.

1295427112-Lamborghini-Estoque_Concept_2008_1600x1200_wallpaper_06.jpg

Big Lambo with a V12?

fuck yes

I'd really love to see the Murcielago SV's engine used for this. The one that is old and sounds like 'the trumpeting of elephants' at the top of the rev-counter.

I'd love it if they built a new version of the LM002, but I have a feeling this will be a bit lackluster. The thing I loved about the LM002 was, sure it was bonkers, but it was also a cabable 4x4, I think they'll be aiming more at the shopping mall crawler market with this one.

Also, am I the only one that thinks platform sharing is absolutely unacceptable on high end supercars?! If I spend $300K on a car, I don't want it coming out of a parts bin!!! I have to agree with clarkson, VW ruined Lambo.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose because to me as a car LM002 wasn't bonkers, it was plain ugly even back then (and still is). As for platform/design sharing - sign of times. I already look at the new Lambos and think "This looks nice, clean, well laid out and put together. Just like a proper Audi should".

The LM002 was designed for military use (remember Lamborghini is a tractor company*). It was sold to the public after they lost out to American General's HMMWV.

*The car company has since split off and is now under VWs control.

As long as it shares 0% of it's looks with the Cayenne, I am all for this. Seeing an SUV screaming down the highway with the heavenly bellow of a Lambo V12 would be quite the sight.

IMO a Lambo SUV is quite fitting for the brand.

Lambos are considered to be slightly mad. Making a two ton SUV with a great big high revving V12 is slightly mad - Makes sense. The Russians and Sheiks will love it.

If it's like the LM002, as much a proper off-roader as it is bonkers, then I'm all for it. But if it's nothing but a high-end soft-roader, well then screw that. And I have a feeling it will be.