Running Hotter Spark Plugs

Sot

Hi Everyone
Just like every young rev head, Im always after little things which can give me that little bit more power. I heard that running a set hotter spark plugs will maybe give me a little more power. Im just worried that they will blow a hole into my pistons lol. Has anyone had any encounters with this type of Mod.

Cheers

The only thing I can think of that will change is allowing more of the mixture to combust, or combust faster. You then might problems with detonation by forcing it to combust sooner. I'd be careful with stuff like that.

colder
COLDER spark plugs help improve power...

If you have to ask a question like this then you should not touch your engine. If you want to go faster seek face to face advice from someone who knows, it could otherwise end in tears.

Changing the heat range on your plugs is done only as a last resort to correct a problem with fuelling or combustion chamber temperatures - either due to poor design, trying to push an engine beyond its design limits, or some other reason.

Changing spark plug heat range was common back when cars had carburetors and "accurate fuelling" was a joke. It was needed then, it's rarely needed now. Hotter spark plugs can hurt power - so can colder spark plugs. Even changing plug types and makers can affect power delivery or emissions - and a spark plug that gives one engine type a power boost may actually be a detriment to one from another maker.

In other words, don't bother unless your type of car is known to have fuelling issues that are resolved by running a different heat range plug. If you want more power, concentrate on intake and exhaust first. Spark plugs are the *last* place I'd go looking for more power.