Russia and Ukraine

:poop:
Der Spiegel after a plane brief with Scholz on his war goals."Victory for Ukraine does not seem to be an option. The strategy could be called active waiting. The Germans are cautiously supplying arms, participating in boycotts & waiting for Putin to say his war goals are reached"

Last couple of days Russia seems to be gaining some ground, but they are running out of tanks, pulling T62's out of storage:

Visually confirmed so far, backlog of a couple of hundred more to be verified:

Tanks (715, of which destroyed: 391, damaged: 22, abandoned: 55, captured: 244)​

Last edited:
The people voted for Merkel 2.0 and they got him. Sit and wait because if you don’t do anything, you can’t offend anyone. And it’s better for business, too.

I can’t even eat as much as I have to puke. At least I voted for the one party whose members of government have their heads above the sand.

Nato 'doing literally nothing' to stop Russia, says Ukraine​

Ukraine’s foreign minister, Dmytro Kuleba, accused Nato of “doing literally nothing” in the face of Russia’s invasion of his country.

Why aren't we enforcing freedom of navigation in these international waters as we do in the Pacific? If our Allies in the Black Sea won't do it, then allow HMS Defender or USS Donald Cook back in.

Germany now saying NATO agreement to not supply tanks or IFV's preventing them supplying the Marder, but with US supplying 200 M113's with 25mm cannons, it doesn't add up.

Angebliche Nato-Vereinbarung : Panzer aus Deutschland: Wer lügt?​

Alleged NATO agreement : Tanks from Germany: Who is lying?

So the TL;DR for non-German speakers is: German news say that there is, according to the German ministry of Defence an unofficial NATO line not to give Western heavy weapons to Ukraine, reasoning that Russia would see that as NATO entering the war for real. Or something like that.

In my opinion, that stinks. It seems to me that the plan is to do just enough to be seen as supporting Ukraine in the public eye.
And for the record, the German government and Chancellor Scholz in particular are getting a lot of flak in German media right now for their hesitation and indecisiveness. I would say that the German public is very much not content with what the government is doing or rather, not doing. On the other hand, the shortages and more importantly, price hikes are only just beginning to hit. I am not sure how long people in Germany (and the West at large) are willing to put up with being involved in a faraway war in this matter. I hope I'm wrong on this.

Kremlin is considering another assault on Kyiv and planning victory in Ukraine by the fall​

Czech defense minister says:
I am happy to go on record with this - there is no such thing as an informal agreement or “ban” on delivery of particular weapon systems. The Czech government would not support or be part of any such thing.

Some experts say that in the Sievierodonetsk/Lysyansk region there is a 1:7 Russian superiority.

“The shelling of Sievierodonetsk is growing exponentially,” said Serhiy Haidai, the governor of Ukraine’s Luhansk region, which is now 95% controlled by the Russians. He estimated 10,000 Russian troops and an extra 2,500 pieces of equipment had been committed to the attack.

Bayraktar costs about €5m:

Lithuania fundraises 3.3 million euros to buy Bayraktar drones for Ukraine within two days.

The fundraising attracted money at a rate of about 1,500 euros per minute, according to Lithuanian TV presenter Andrius Tapina. Former Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite also joined the fundraising initiative to raise 5 million euros to buy drones for Ukraine initiated on May 25.

Amazing to raise over €5m in a few days

The folly of "off-ramps"​

When Ukraine wins the war, Putin will build his own​

Some observers of the Russo-Ukrainian war seem to think that its greatest danger is that Ukraine will win, or win too quickly, and that this will be uncomfortable for Putin, and that we should care.

Germany decided to give the surplus Marder IFV's to Greece, so they can give UA ancient BMP-1A1's