Russia and Ukraine

But these days, for probably the first time ever, I feel ashamed to be German.

Might not be the first time for me, but I feel the same. The amount of help that individual citizens can give to the Ukrainians is limited and naturally excludes military hardware, so our government must do a lot more.

Seen reports that Germany and others have upgraded software fire controls on the self propelled 155mm howitzers, so it integrates with UA artillery control systems and counter battery radar, so they can respond in seconds to incoming attacks.

Last edited:
Swiss also blocking Leopards -
decommissioned Leopard 2 tanks will not be handed over to Poland; this would require a decommissioning and therefore a parliamentary decision.
(machine translation)

Ukraine has called on the west to supply 300 rocket launchers, 500 tanks and 1,000 howitzers before a key meeting on Wednesday amid concern in some quarters it is pushing its demands for Nato-standard weapons to the limit.

Gen Mark Hertling
jun 16
During an interview, the terrific @MarquardtA asked me why the US wasn't delivering the weapons "some" in UKR said they had requested (1000 artillery, 500 tanks, etc). I cited @SecDef press conference from Madrid yesterday, where Austin rebuked the same question. 1/9
The @SecDef noted he was specifically coordinating equipment transfer and weapons priorities with Ukraine's Defense Minister Reznikov. Reznikov's top priorities are: -Long Range fires -Armor vehicles -Mid-range ADA systems -Howitzers Then Austin provided some numbers...2/
-Reznikov asked for 10 battalions of artillery, the west has provided 12. -R asked for 200 tanks, UKR has received 270 -Ukraine received 97,000 anti-tank missiles, more than they requested, which is also more than the number of tanks in the entire world. 3/
-The west has shipped 500,000 rds of arty ammo, most is precision GPS --POL, UK, NL, Canada, GE are all sending long-range precision strike wpns & ammo (HIMARs & MLRS). -US sending Harpoon anti-ship missiles...and more Training & support for all is also included. 4//
Austin was speaking from Madrid, where the 3d meeting of the "contact group" was coordinating weapon "packages" to ship to UKR. That group now has 50 nations...Georgia & Moldova are now a part. National "packages" all combine weapons, training & maintenance support. 5/
Austin addressed how western systems didn't have to "match" RU weapon in #s, as capabilities far outweigh RUn quality. (critically important point) GEN Milley also reported those training on HIMARs in Germany finished yesterday & those systems will be operational. 6/