S2000 vs RX8 vs 350Z

S2000 vs RX8 vs 350Z

• Total voters
350Z. I've seen a 1k-hp VQ35, I don't think we'll ever see a 1k-hp rotary, and MAYBE on the Honda...but it's a Honda, so it's not likely. :D

You sure you aren't 17? Who the hell needs 1000hp in a street car...

And there have been many rotaries well over 1000hp. 3 and 4 rotors have come close to 2000.

Do I smell an all-hondas-are-ricers douschebag? Also, who the hell cares about those power numbers? If that's what was being discussed, the thread would be about vipers and corvettes!

Nope, not one bit. I work at a machine shop where every engine that comes in is getting prepped to be raced, so my feelings may be biased.

Besides, what's the point of buying cars like those without making them go faster :D

I wouldnt buy any of them. I can cook rice in my ordinary pan.

Not sure if that's an ordinary Joke or a rice(r) joke? Either way it's off base.

As for DJDark, not everyone a drag racer, and there are far better cars than the 350 for that.

Nope, not one bit. I work at a machine shop where every engine that comes in is getting prepped to be raced, so my feelings may be biased.

Besides, what's the point of buying cars like those without making them go faster :D

Do you mean faster on the drag strip or faster around corners? The RX-8 is not the fastest off the line but it's a beautifully handling car that just eats up the corners - a true sports car.

I'm biased but the 350z all the way. It looks the best and has the best overall performance and daily driveability imo. RX-8's rotary engine is more of a negative than anything else given its proven unreliability and the interior is way too small - my head was nearly touching the roof.

S2000 is too much of a bare bones sports car to live with and I'm not a fan of convertibles at all especially as a DD.

None of the cars match the Z's balance of speed and handling either and even though Clarkson made a really horrible review of it; the Zed got Top Gear Magazine's car of the year award IIRC.

Rampant cases of engine flooding and thirst for oil consumption all the while not providing torque albeit it does rev like a bike. Its also not the most friendly of engines for daily driving as you had to warm up the engine for X minutes, constantly check oil levels, shut it down cold, etc. RX-8 owners frequently found themselves stranded and I believe there may have been a class action lawsuit against some other aspects of the engine as well.

Then again I am horribly biased and somewhat bitter of Clarkson's video review - although I did like his take on the convertible Z more because he actually drove it like a sports car in that review. The RX-8 simply got a stupendous review by comparison hehe.

However for daily driving the Z gets the top nod since its power is downlow and you'll feel it and use it more than an engine where you have to rev to get similar results. On a rolling start the Z also gets the edge and on balanced road circuits its a faster choice and usually beats out its competition in magazine tests.

This is one of the few cases where I side with Fifth Gear and Tiff in picking the Zed over other Japanese sports cars.

Last edited:
I check my oil level maybe once a month. Its not like a freakin' 2 stroke dirtbike...

Also, EFI rotaries hardly ever flood. Mine has never done it and its 25 years old :lol:

So do you run your Z hard when its cold? Honestly its not good for any engine.

Last edited:
^ Should've expected that. Laugh all you want but those indeed are drawbacks to the RX-8.

^ Should've expected that. Laugh all you want but those indeed are drawbacks to the RX-8.

Not saying they aren't. First run of Renesis engines had an oiling problem, but it has been fixed. Often times Mazda would replace the entire engine free of charge. It is a good engine though.

I thought it was standard practise for any engine to warm it up and regularly check the oil levels?

Pretty sure the newer RX-8 comes with a 100,000 mile engine warranty.

Hey, I know rotaries can have their quirks but lets keep within the realms of reality.

Honestly, I would probably pick the 350z too, but I am a bit of a nissan fan at heart.

Last edited:
Without a doubt all motors should be warmed up, however unlike most motors the rotary engine takes a lot more damage if you ignore such warnings.

Which also means you can't just start up the RX-8 and drive a couple feet out of your driveway and shut it down because you run the risk of flooding. Its manual also recommends checking the oil level every second gas fill-up which all adds up to it being annoying imo especially if its going to be used a lot.

Then again I am also terribly biased.

I just wasn't impressed with the Z I drove. Everything felt numb.

^Likewise with the RX-8. Body roll and no torque shied me away. We can do this all day haha.

I test drove 5 S2000s before I got my MSM. I REALLY wish I could have got one, but they were out of my price range.. :(

I really couldn't decide between the S2000 and 350Z. Being a fan of smaller, nimbler cars I'd go for the S2000 probably, but part of me wants that more 'iniviting' 350Z. But it would be the S2000, yes.

If it was S2000 vs 370Z, I'd defintally go for the latter.

RX-8. looks better, unique engine, not too common..

I drove all three in addition to the SKY Redline when I was shopping for my DD.

First off, the S2000 is a BLAST! I love the looks, the performance, everything. But I'm 6'3 and I didn't fit. It's too tiny and Miata-ish. I liked it, but my feminine side was not quite strong enough to buy it. Plus, the B-pillar blocked my stoplights and I wasn't up for neck pains every day.

The RX-8. Well, my mother always said that if I had nothing nice to say...

Ah, hell with her. It's a limp-wristed and ugly little monstrosity. It's a major setback from the RX-7 and doesn't even deserve to be in the same category. While it was fun around corners, there was nothing else redeeming about the thing.

The SKY Redline, not sure if they sell Saturns in Europe, was great. All the same plus points as the S2000 except that the build quality is not quite as good. Unfortunately, it was again too small for me. I felt like I was in a go cart. It is the best looking of those three, however.

But then there is the 350Z. Not only did it put the biggest smile on my face (which was my key reason for buying it), but the car is just plain beautiful. I'm not sure anything in the price range compares. It's muscular bulldog stance really contrasts with it's great curves. Plus, it felt like it performed better than the rest of them with the exception of the S2000 midget-car. The exhaust note was incredible as well.

If they decide to make an S2000 for men, I'd buy it. Fantastic car. I'd also buy a SKY if the build quality is improved But I'd still have to say the 350Z is more fun from what I experienced.