S6 2007/11/24 AS Club

pdanev

Forum Addict
Good weekend overall. Nice combo with some interesting wind forces... First pole in Q this season, wohoo!

1st race was ok, Burnsy overtook me at chicane entry, didn't think he'd make a move there but very well done! I couldn't keep up in the straights with the extra weight even with drafting. Ok I did post the quickest laptime but when 2 cars are side by side and you carry extra weight then it's impossible to overtake. At least on this track. I think the weight penalty was by far the worst on this combo.

2nd race was nice too, too bad I didn't defend very well and got quickly overtaken by Burnsy and Mischief. After that I made a mistake last corner run onto grass, lost 2-3seconds there, couldn't catch up. Looked like an incredibly battle for 1st place though! I did have a bit of a hot moment in lap 18 in the chicane. Bit late and bit fast entry, quick weight transfer, cut too much on exit an got slightly on 2 wheels. Same story in last lap too only that almost gave me a heart attack, I was about to flip that one if I don't countersteer.

Too bad MXM made a tele-pit in the 1st place, he was doing nice times I was looking forward to a battle.

PS: I loved the way everyone was all over the place in the 1st 4-5 laps because of the wind. Was quite different from the 1st race. :)

My first race was crap, in lap 2 I braked early since I noticed there was a strong wind, but I had some sort of weird braking problem, that caused lockups and instability.
I did have a nice short fight with Mischief at the end though.

In race 2 I got a decent start, but a tiny touch of the grass after the chicane caused me to lose 3-4 spots.

Stats and points:
http://download.yousendit.com/4084046F0A2F3E8D

It looks like we have a tie for first place.

Race 1:

Here's my first half of the race:

[YOUTUBE]JL20hXMFbmE[/YOUTUBE]

After the pit stop I settled down and concentrated on trying to catch some people. This was going to be difficult since I didn't know if I would even be able to. I kept gaining on geeman and ESPNSTI. I finally overtook ESPNSTI on lap 28 and drove away. Once I got to geeman, I just couldn't pass him for some reason. Eventually I made a mistake on the back straight chicane and ESPNSTI overtook me. I decided to just overtake ESPNsti to salvage some points since he is ahead of me in points. On the last lap into T1 I got right on ESPNsti's ass. Followed him all the way through the back straight and onto the chicane. I took the inside and braked early. It looked like ESPNSTI braked late and therefore went off line onto the dirty part of the track. He slid while trying to control the car. I stuck to the line and drag raced him to the last corner. This time I stayed on the racing line and he took the inside. Again, overshot the corner and I drove past him on the inside of the corner.

Race 2:

On the first lap, big mistake, ended up towards the back. Got it together and concentrated on getting to the front. Lap 6. ESPNsti makes a mistake in the last corner and it puts him into my sights. I drafted him down the straight, pulled out to the inside, and overtook him over the bump and into T1. On that same lap I overtook geeman on the last corner. That was my strongest corner of the race since it is where I did most of my overtaking and making sure I got a good run for the straightaway. After the next set of laps, Burnsy and Pete were in front of me. We were running almost the exact same times because the distance was not shrinking or growing. I decided to concentrate on my laps now and just secure third place. By lap 10 I was starting to reel in Pete. The weight was definitely in my favour. Two more laps and I got a good run out of the last corner, drafted Pete, and overtook him in T1. Another strong corner for me was T1 as well since I got a very good drive out of the corner. Usually pulled out quite a distance on anybody behind me. I was happy to have gained second place but I knew Pete wouldn't give up that easily. Kept hitting my marks and see if I could catch Burnsy but I doubted that. He is usually faster than me. On lap 20 the battle for first place started. It was back and forth between him and I on the front straight. I would get a good drive out of the last corner and he would defend his line for T1 and prevail. This went on for 3 laps and finally on lap 24 I decided to brake late since I just had a bit of my nose in front. Burnsy gave us the room to take T1 cleanly with me in front of him. I almost gave it all back on lap 26 when I caught a bit of the grass coming out of the chicane.

That's really a shame about the 1st race, you should have been clearly on the top of the grid like you did in the 2nd race.

PS: epp_b you should use the look left/right functions in LFS, especially while recovering. Look at ~20s in the video. Your recovery back to the track was ridiculous, mischief was on line, even way too much inside as he saw you recovering, but you pulled your car right onto him. You should have accelerated on the outside of the track, look 2-3times to your left if there is anyone there, instead of making a very sharp turn to the centre of the track for no reason. Ok nothing serious happened just a small nudge, but nevertheless always look around when recovering!!!

Last edited:
Qual, difference: 0.01 :(
Race 1, because of the weight got a terrible start, and because of the wind and my normal braking point, i couldnt brake hard enough in T1 in the 2nd lap. Nudged Mischief of the racing line :( The ballast had much inpact on this track.
Race 2, Again terrible start. And tried to fight back to the front. Slowly but steady I came closer to Geeman. Almost got him, with a few tenth at the finishline.