Saabs anyone?

Raven18940

So where are the other saab nuts? I know you're out there, don't be bashful.

here's some info on the new 9-3 Aero and it's new crackin v6 turbo engine

http://media.gm.com/servlet/Gateway.../viewpressreldetail.do?domain=472&docid=14112

While the torque and power outputs are about the same as the current high-output 2.3 turbo, I think this engine is a step in the right direction for GM run saab. Well done I say.

not a Saab nut, as you can see, I'm more of a Volvo nut. But Saab's are cool as well, wouldn't mind owning one someday :D

Volvo :x they are the enemy

j/k it's swedish so that's close enough :p

errr...

where can we download it?

I don't have an account..

I'm very interested in it, it's supposed to be AWD apparently, and my uncle might get one in 2 years once his lease is over

his current car:

normal_front4.JPG

normal_rear1.JPG

and are you telling me it's only 250hp?

what a fucking joke!!!!

it was supposed to be more like 300, which is still not that much for a TURBO V6

Ren, I think the site where you host your pics are down, the pics you posted and your sig appear in a Red cross for me

Well there won't be any AWD til the new Epsilon2 platform, sorry. But here's the info on the pretty new engine if you're interested

Six Cylinder Turbo Power gives

Saab 9-3 Aero Class-leading Appeal

* Unique offer in segment, more torque than other six cylinder gasolineengines
* Saab 9-3 Aero 2.8V6 Turbo fastest-ever Saab
* First gasoline V6 designed from start for Saab's turbochargedapplication
* Light, compact, all-aluminum construction
* Twin-scroll turbocharger for smooth response
* Variable cam phasing for improved breathing
* Stainless steel exhaust manifolds for lower cold-start emissions
* Sinter-forged connecting rods for extra strength
* Tuned twin exhaust for sporty engine note

The Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan Aero with its new 2.8V6 Turbo engine is, quite simply, the fastest accelerating car ever to carry the Saab badge. It represents the culmination of almost 30 years' experience from Saab as acknowledged leaders in the art of turbocharging.

For the first time, Saab customers will be able to enjoy the combined benefits of turbocharged power and six cylinder refinement in a purpose-built package. With massive pulling power (350 Nm) spread widely across the engine's speed range, the 250 bhp/184 kW 2.8V6 Turbo generates more torque than any other six cylinder gasoline engine in the Saab 9-3 segment.

Saab Automobile Powertrain's expert knowledge and experience of turbocharging is recognized by its role as a Center of Expertise within General Motors for the development of turbocharged gasoline engines. The Swedish engineers were therefore closely involved during the conceptual design and development of GM's new global V6 engine architecture, ensuring it included the possibility of a turbocharged application.

Sophisticated technology
The 2.8V6 Turbo has a 60? vee-angle between its cylinder banks for perfect balance and combines excellent multi-valve refinement with outstanding performance. The all aluminum construction provides a light and compact architecture, well suited to its transverse, front-wheel-drive installation in the Saab 9-3 Aero.

The cylinder heads, each with double chain-driven overhead camshafts operating four valves per cylinder, are of high specification aluminum and unique to this turbocharged variant. The design ensures enhanced heat resistance under 85 bar cylinder pressures, as well as minimum maintenance costs.

Also unique are pistons with hard anodized ring grooves for durability and under-skirt oil jet cooling, together with steel con-rods that are strengthened by sinter-forging, a process that involves molding metal in a powered form. The exhaust valves are filled with sodium to further enhance cooling. The cylinders have cast iron liners and a bore/stoke of 89.00 / 74.8 mm.

For improved engine breathing, variable cam phasing on the inlet side is electronically controlled and hydraulically actuated, allowing continuously variable adjustment through 50? of crankshaft rotation. On the road, this translates to a more flexible power delivery and better fuel economy under different engine loads.

A die-cast aluminum oil sump is designed to increase structural stiffness and the strong, four-bearing crankshaft is made from micro-alloy forged steel, a specification more commonly seen in competition performance or diesel engines.

The twin-scroll, water-cooled Mitsubishi TDO4-15TK turbocharger, operates at 0.6 bar maximum boost with intercooling and an integral by-pass valve. It is mounted centrally above the transmission and fed by both banks of cylinders. The use of two separate inlet tracts, one for each cylinder bank, separates the exhaust gas pulses, improving gas flow, reducing energy losses and raising turbocharger efficiency. The turbine wheel is made from a special high-grade steel alloy, commonly used in the turbocharged engines of world championship rally cars, which is resistant to erosion, cracking and creeping under high temperatures and centrifugal forces.

Also unique are double-skin exhaust manifolds, which are hydroformed with stainless steel liners to improve cold start emissions by minimizing heat absorption to the manifold. Air injection into each manifold for up to 30 seconds after a cold start also helps the central pre-catalyst, positioned upstream of the main catalytic converter, achieve 'light off', its effective working temperature, as early as possible.

Smart engine management
The 32-bit engine management system, with software calibrated specifically for the Saab 9-3 application, utilizes a torque-based engine control strategy and direct coil-over-plug ignition with a robust engine-mounted control unit. Ignition timing, fuel injection, turbo boost pressure, air mass measurement and the throttle setting are all key engine functions controlled by the software.

The sophisticated control strategy is designed to deliver smooth performance in all driving conditions. The system works with the vehicle?s transmission to modulate torque, providing stirring performance and excellent engine response. The system can also limit torque in low-traction conditions, helping provide confident, sure-footed driving. Variable fuel pressure further contributes to smooth idle and driving characteristics.

For driving comfort, control of the electronic throttle through the movement of the accelerator pedal is programmed to be sensitive to different driving conditions, with greater pedal movement introduced at lower vehicle speeds, such as when maneuvering or parking. At low engine speeds, the engine control system also brings the turbo in quickly by momentarily opening the throttle slightly more than requested by the driver.

On the road the new 9-3 Aero 2.8V6 Turbo packs a formidable punch and the driver will also immediately appreciate the smooth power delivery, like an iron first in a velvet glove. Apart from the boost gauge in the dashboard, the only clue to the presence of a turbocharger is an uncannily effortless rate of acceleration.

Pick-up from tick-over at just 720 rpm is instant, due to the engine's relatively large multi-cylinder capacity. At about 1,000 rpm, the turbo begins to build a massive wall of torque that is already in place by the time the tachometer swings through 2,000 rpm. It endows the 9-3 Aero with a level of performance never before seen in a Saab car.
Maximum torque is generated all the way from 2,000 rpm to 4,500 rpm, with 90 per cent of this value available at an exceptionally low 1,500 rpm. Careful programming of the engine management software means that under a full throttle load, from take-off or low engine speeds, 90 per cent of maximum acceleration is delivered within one second.

The zero to 100 kph dash is accomplished in just 6.9 seconds, but in-gear acceleration provides even more impressive evidence of this engine's outstanding elasticity. In top gear, the transition from 80 to 120 kph can be accomplished in just 8.3 seconds, a figure that places the 9-3 Aero among the very best in its class.

The fun-to-drive nature of this performance is also matched by an exhilarating engine note that can be heard inside and outside the car. This has been achieved by tuning the twin sports exhausts downstream of the main catalyst. It gives the new Saab 9-3 Aero a distinctive aural character in keeping with its position as the sporting flagship of the range.

The engine is offered with a choice of six-speed manual or automatic transmissions. The close-ratio manual gearbox includes duel output shafts to reduce transmission vibration, together with a dual mass flywheel this ensures smooth and refined performance.

The 'smart' Asin AW automatic transmission is adaptive to driver usage patterns and prevailing road conditions. It can sense changes in engine performance, engine load, road gradient and altitude, quickly finding the right gear without an irritating 'hunting'.

For closer driver involvement, Saab Sentronic, a sequential manual gearshift, is also included. When the shift lever is moved across the gate to ?manual? Sentronic mode, ?up? and ?down? changes can be made with full lock-up in 3/4/5 or 6th gears. This process is taken a step further by the option of steering wheel buttons, which bring gear-shifting right to the fingertips of the driver.

Overall, the 2.8V6 Turbo generates class-leading levels of torque with a seamless, turbine-like power delivery. Itcombines the inherent advantages of a six-cylinder engine - refinement and a rapid throttle response - with the effortless, torque-boosting properties of turbocharging.

Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan Aero 2.8V6T:

Technical Specifications and Performance

2,792 cc. V6. Bore 89mm, Stroke 74.8mm
Aluminum cylinder heads and block.
2 x DOHC chain-driven, 24 valves. Variable valve timing (inlet)
Turbocharged, intercooled.
Max boost pressure, 0.6 bar
Compression ratio, 9.5:1
Bosch Motronic engine management.
Direct ignition, multi-point fuel injection, electronic throttle control
Max.power: 250 bhp (184 kW) @ 5,500 rpm
Max torque: 350 Nm @ 2,000 - 4,500 rpm

CO2*
(g/km)

M6 239
A6 252

Performance*

0-100 km/h
(s)

M6 6.9

A6 7.9

80-120 km/h
6th gear (s)

M6 8.3

Top speed

Km/h

M6 250

A6 245

Fuel consumption*

Combined

(l/100 km)

M6 10.0
A6 10.5

M6: Six-speed manual gearbox
A6: Six-speed automatic transmission

* All performance, fuel consumption and CO2 data provisional

CONTACT(S):

Christer Nilsson
Media relations manager, Saab Automobile
Phone 0046-(0)520-854 86
Mobile 0046-(0)70-603 24 12
e-Mail: christer.u.nilsson@se.saab.com

DAMN

GM IS SO DAMN GHEY!!!!

no AWD and this PUSSY engine!!!

a TURBO V6 of 250hp??? fuck you GM!

Competition makes way better than that with NA V6's or Turbo 4's :thumbsdown:

My uncle will be pissed, but hopefully he'll get something better than that..

0-100 km/h
(s)

M6 6.9

A6 7.9

that is NOT even QUICK, let alone FAST! the curent 210hp manual Aero does it in 7.3!!! this will be an overpriced piece of shit, like the Pontiac G6 GXP

it's ridiculous, seriously GM, FUCK YOU, you suck and I'm glad you're losing money, stop making shitty cars and destroying brands charisma..

andyhui01 said:
Ren, I think the site where you host your pics are down, the pics you posted and your sig appear in a Red cross for me

it's not...

damn... maybe its my internet... V62.8l engine is kickass... plus a 6-spd Auto Gearbox... what more do you want?... ren, bear in mind that this is a sedan, therefore 6.8secs is pretty fast, mind you a Bimmer 328 is doing about 7secs and a RX8 is realistically doing low 6sixes ;)

Renesis said:
DAMN

GM IS SO DAMN GHEY!!!!

no AWD and this PUSSY engine!!!

a TURBO V6 of 250hp??? fuck you GM!

Competition makes way better than that with NA V6's or Turbo 4's :thumbsdown:

My uncle will be pissed, but hopefully he'll get something better than that..

0-100 km/h
(s)

M6 6.9

A6 7.9

that is NOT even QUICK, let alone FAST! the curent 210hp manual Aero does it in 7.3!!! this will be an overpriced piece of shit, like the Pontiac G6 GXP

it's ridiculous, seriously GM, FUCK YOU, you suck and I'm glad you're losing money, stop making shitty cars and destroying brands charisma..
'
:p Awfully critical aren't we. Well the reason it does 0-60 in 6.9 seconds is cause of traction, FWD sucking off the line and such. What this car has that others don't is boat loads of torque. It'll eat anything in it's class on the highway. And what competition are you talking about anyway that has turboed 4's and great NA 6's. The BMW 330 only has 225 bhp.

dude, it's NOT FAST!!!!

it's 0.4 sec faster than the current model! :roll:

and it's an amazingly WEAK output for a Turbo V6

BTW, the RX-8 does it in 5.9 secs and it can seat four too.. ;)

if you go to the RX-8 forum which I'm sure you do, you will see alot of owners have trouble getting it under 6 even with dropping the clutch at like 5k RPM....

This car seats 5 and will pwn you from 65-155 ;)

andyhui01 said:
if you go to the RX-8 forum which I'm sure you do, you will see alot of owners have trouble getting it under 6 even with dropping the clutch at like 5k RPM....

If you did as much as me you'd know that ideal times are achieved with a drop clutch at 7500 RPM and lots of wheelspin.

And you'd also know that every magazine number is unrealistic, jsut by the way it's measured.

anyway, back on topic

GM is gay

GM bought Saab

Saab is gay

:x

Raven18940 said:
This car seats 5 and will pwn you from 65-155 ;)

not so sure about that, sure from a roll it's very fast.. but with 155 you're being optimistic me thinks, unless it's got MUCH better performance than the regular 2.0T, which I doubt since it's only 0.4 secs faster to 100km/h

<--- Big-time Saabphile

Anyway, the 2.8 is sounding to be a pretty nice engine, but what advantage does it have over the current 2.3 turbo four in the 9-5 Aero? Both engines have the same power figures.

And my big beef here is that we've been promised an AWD 9-3x years ago, but looks like it will show-up on the next-gen German-built 9-3. That new 2.8 would've compliment it nicely, but FWD is pretty much limiting some serious performance driving.

I hope this is the start of the right direction for Saab. I really do want them to be successful and build-up a credible line-up that will wipe the smile off of BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Volvo's face, that is if GM is really serious about it. But they really need to dump the "Saabaru" and "Saablazer" first if they want to be taken seriously.

Since when does FWD suck off the line? And sure, mid range power may be good, but I have to side with Ren, the 0-100 / 0-60 times are pretty poor for what it should be...heck, my car is supposed to do 7.2.....not that I've ever timed it.

Viggen said:
Anyway, the 2.8 is sounding to be a pretty nice engine, but what advantage does it have over the current 2.3 turbo four in the 9-5 Aero? Both engines have the same power figures.

I guess the 6-cyl engine would have less turbo lag compared to the current 4-banger setup... therefore better performance

The 2.7L twin-turbo V6 in the last Audi S4 was "only" 250HP, and that thing launches like a fighter jet. The only reason the Saab is so relatively slow to 60 is the FWD, but if you've ever driven anything with a small twin-scroll turbo, you'll feel what real torque is like. It comes in a big swell really fast, and then just keeps building and building. You sink into your seat all the way through the rev range.

I'm sure the numbers don't do it justice, this is a fast car. Something more high strung gets better peak power, like an RX8, but on any run longer than 1/4 mile this thing will catch up.

I bet the torque steer is a bitch though. :thumbsdown:

SiR_dude said:
Since when does FWD suck off the line? And sure, mid range power may be good, but I have to side with Ren, the 0-100 / 0-60 times are pretty poor for what it should be...heck, my car is supposed to do 7.2.....not that I've ever timed it.
Since the laws of physics were in place. :p Maybe your car isn't bad, but a saab is considerably heavier. The wheelspin on the 9-5 aero was so bad that boost is limited by 30% in 1st and 2nd to try and control it. Not that it works very well, I can still light up the tires effortlessly in first gear. It's kinda cool though cause on the 2nd-3rd up change there's no change in acceleration.

Here's a figure for you, in 3rd gear my car can do 55-90 in 7 seconds. And a 9-3 is lighter, even more aerodynamic, and has 20 more hp.