Sabine Schmitz - RIP

Elijah B.

Spent a while yesterday re-watching her Top Gear visits, and a bunch of other videos I've never seen before. :(

This weekend: TG pays tribute to Sabine Schmitz with a 30-min special

Current and former TG hosts and special guests will pay tribute to Sabine in a half-hour show

Top Gear will pay tribute to Queen of the Nürburgring Sabine Schmitz, who died last month aged 51, with a half-hour special.

The programme will be available to stream through BBC iPlayer from 9pm this Sunday, April 4th, immediately after the Top Gear series finale on BBC One. It will also be broadcast at 7:30pm on BBC One on Wednesday, April 7th.

The racing driver, who won the Nürburgring 24 Hours twice, first appeared on Top Gear in 2004. She returned as a host a little over a decade later.

The specially-produced programme will see Top Gear’s current presenters – Freddie Flintoff, Chris Harris and Paddy McGuinness – joined by former hosts Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, James May, Rory Reid and Matt LeBlanc, as well as guests such as David Coulthard, Susie and Toto Wolff, and Jess Hawkins.

Clare Pizey, Top Gear’s Executive Producer, said: “We send our heartfelt condolences to Sabine’s partner Klaus and her family whose loss is so much greater than ours. We had to pay a special tribute to Sabine as she was a such a big part of our Top Gear family and we will never forget the joy we had working with and knowing her.”

Alex Renton, co-Executive Producer on Top Gear added: “Sabine was part of Top Gear for over 15 years and it was no surprise that so many people who had worked with her over that period dropped everything to be a part of this tribute. She was so loved and will be greatly missed by us all.”

Will be available on BBC iPlayer at 9PM on sunday

Link: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/weekend-tg-pays-tribute-sabine-schmitz-30-min-special

I just saw this news. RIP Sabine.

Last Saturday was the first race for Frikadelli Racing since Sabine passed away. One of her cars with Frédéric Makowiecki and Dennis Olsen onboard started from pole and finished second.

Frikadelli Racing initially secured pole position for the race in qualifying. With a time of 7: 53.565 minutes, Olsen relegated the competition from Phoenix-Racing (# 11) to second place by 2.264 seconds. “That was a good lap,” said the Norwegian. “We worked out a very good setup during the test and set-up run on Friday. On the lap itself, I had no traffic and was able to drive freely. ”

Referring to the recent passing of Frikadelli Racing and ‘Ring race icon Sabine Schmitz he added:

“I am very happy for the team. I think Sabine watched us from above and she is proud of us. ”

tribute

Race 2 - Nürburgring Endurance Series (NLS) 2021​

VLN Nürburgring Endurance Series NLS3 race report: Frikadelli Racing takes emotional 1-2 victory

Last edited:

Really cool choice for the corner. :thumbsup:

I just stumbled upon this onboard video from a VLN race a few years back and I think it's fitting to post here:

For anyone who missed it, here is Johannes Scheid tribute lap before the start of this years N24, in the car that they won it in 1996:

(select subs)

NLS race Saturday morning. Might be something about it in the pre race ceremony. Coverage on RLM.