Sad day for Mac Users

hokiethang

Car(s)
2007 Durango
It looks as if Apple has abandoned PowerPC and will be switching to Intel in 2007..

Looks like Hell is quite cold today

:cry:

(for links look on any mac rumors website, or slashdot)

Well i wouldn't diss them just yet. Wait what they fork out. Intel has a much larger production capacity than IBM and AMD put together, that'll hopefully lead to cheaper prices. But you never know.
And it'll also be interesting to see if they put in enough interest to make it a good cpu on par with thier mainstream cpu's.

I don't think its going to be as bad as what you guys think... Apple always switches OEM Manufacturers for the better... just like when they switched from Motorola to IBM... as Kip said, Intel has a much higher production capacity than IBM and I think this is one of the way apple is trying to lower its prices so it can compete with IBM compatible computers

Hookie, don't worry. Apple is just following the old NeXT compnay strategy: It's the OS, not the CPU.

Does this mean that Apple will eventually become a Software compnay that also has a sister firm doing quality electronic gadgets ? Maybe.

I own 17 years worth of NeXTSTEP, OpenStep and Mac OS X gear/software. I can run M68K, i386 and Sparc for many of my code. I don't have an HP-UX box, but that would work too.

Yeah, the sky seems a little different in colour today, but then again ...