Saddam Hussein Sentenced To Death

Scott

Car(s)
'13 Hyundai Sonata, '95 Audi S-6 '06 Jetta TDI
Saddam Hussein sentenced to death by hanging... why even bother appealing?

I wonder what this will do to the situation in Iraq... if anything.

Thread moved and title updated to be a little more descriptive than just "DEATH". ;)

*raises hand* Can I throw the lever?

mass murdering fuck-head.

So who goes next? Bush or Cheany?

Oh dear, this is exactly what I didn't want to happen.

Good, Saddam deserves to die...

But having the announcement 2 days before the election.... hmmm:rolleyes:

You're joking or atleast over-exaggerating? If not, isn't that kind of contradictory? Bush was the one who ordered Sadaam to be brought to justice and he would most likely still be free otherwise.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not much of a Bush supporter (or any politician really) and he's made some obvious mistakes, but I just don't see why Bush is deserving of the same punishment as Sadaam. So I assume you're kidding.

Last edited:
You're joking or atleast over-exaggerating? If not, isn't that kind of contradictory? Bush was the one who ordered Sadaam to be brought to justice and he would most likely still be free otherwise.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not much of a Bush supporter (or any politician really) and he's made some obvious mistakes, but I just don't see why Bush is deserving of the same punishment as Sadaam. So I assume you're kidding.

Well, if you are going by the number of Iraqi civilians killed by the actions taken by each man, then Bush is just as bad, if not worse.

At this point I kind of feel like putting all politicians in line for the gallows. I'm tired of this election season, of the mud slinging, the deception and how the more things change the more they stay the same. Elections are bought and paid for and all the candidates are equally slimy in my eyes. They might as well change the ballot to vote for the big business or special interest group you want to support.

Well, if you are going by the number of Iraqi civilians killed by the actions taken by each man, then Bush is just as bad, if not worse.

At this point I kind of feel like putting all politicians in line for the gallows. I'm tired of this election season, of the mud slinging, the deception and how the more things change the more they stay the same. Elections are bought and paid for and all the candidates are equally slimy in my eyes. They might as well change the ballot to vote for the big business or special interest group you want to support.

Civilian causulties in war is terrible, but I think few wars are without them. I know many innocent Germans and Japanese were killed by Allied bombing in WWII for example, yet it was for a bittersweet-noble cause. Such is war, unfortunately. Again, I'm not a Bush supporter, nor am I pleased with the war in Iraq, but the heinous killing that Saddam did is different than civilian casualties caused by the troops in Iraq. If Saddam was never taken down, many more would suffer his under his rule. Yet the situation is such a mess, it's hard to imagine that things will ever be peaceful there.

I agree with you about politicians. It's a sleaze fest for sure.

Last edited:
Well, let's see. These are people who have been spilling each other's blood for over 2,000 years. There is no way a country only 200 years old will even make a dent in this problem and there is certainly not one president who will bring peace to the middle east.

I'm about to the point of saying build a giant wall around the entire region and make sure no one can get in or out. Then throw a bunch of guns over the wall and let them sort it out for themselves. Who ever is still alive gets the holy land.

I'm not a fan of Bush at all, but I have to call shenannigans on that shit. Insurgents != Iraqis. Also, look at how many more Iraqis are killed by these "freedom fighters" blowing shit up in public places.

Saddam in a single attack killed over 5,000 civilians, and maiming, disfiguring, or seriously debilitating 10,000 more. The numbers have been noted as being as high as 2 million killed under his rule. Between 450,000 and 730,000 in the Iran war he started, and untold numbers in mass graves. The current war that we have, and never had the number of troops we needed, is considerably lower: about 3000 troops gave themselves and reported civilian deaths are about 50,000. All told you can say it?s probably between 150,000-300,000 that in the long run is much less.

Mind you I know that Saddam believed what he was doing was for the best, and I would believe that he found the losses justifiable. If you are going to be a ruler of a country you have to sell your soul for the sake of your nation, if you cant accept this you will never be able to be President.

I'm not a fan of Bush at all, but I have to call shenannigans on that shit. Insurgents != Iraqis. Also, look at how many more Iraqis are killed by these "freedom fighters" blowing shit up in public places.

Good points.

About damn time. Most people figured he was going to get axed when he got captured, so why'd it take this long? Man, his defense attorney must be breathing a sigh of relief.

Saddam in a single attack killed over 5,000 civilians, and maiming, disfiguring, or seriously debilitating 10,000 more. The numbers have been noted as being as high as 2 million killed under his rule. Between 450,000 and 730,000 in the Iran war he started, and untold numbers in mass graves. The current war that we have, and never had the number of troops we needed, is considerably lower: about 3000 troops gave themselves and reported civilian deaths are about 50,000. All told you can say it?s probably between 150,000-300,000 that in the long run is much less.
Do you have a link? I'm not doubting you, I'd like to read it for myself.

Bush is out soon enough, and Cheney's soon to be on his fifth heart attack. I'm just disappointed he lived long enough to see his PNAC goals accomplished.

This isn't over yet. Appeal process.

Exactly... he'll probably meet the same fate as Milosevic.

What dictator has actually been executed for being convicted as a war criminal? Goering (I guess not a dictator technically) and Milosevic are two I can think of and they both died before they were taken to the gallows. International law is still so far away from working properly...

Overall though I don't agree with this as I don't agree with capital punishment. Especially in an ill-formed tribunal in a situation as fucked up and complex as this Iraqi business. There is no way a tribunal like this could be fair, not even close to it.

Last edited:
So? He should have been shot upon capture. "he uh, like, resisted arrest, and uh, threatened us, yeah".

Not that I agree with the Iraq war, but seriously, fuck Sadaam.

Well, let's see. These are people who have been spilling each other's blood for over 2,000 years. There is no way a country only 200 years old will even make a dent in this problem and there is certainly not one president who will bring peace to the middle east.

Here's something I've wondered for a while: why doesn't the U.S. government take care of the problems in it's own country first? Isn't that kind of...well y'know...their job?