Salute to those who learn English!

ViperGTS-R said:
Also did anyone know (and correct me if i am wrong) that greek is the only language in the world based on math. All the letters of the greek alphabet are represented by a number and if you add the numbers in a word and compare it to a synonym word the sum is exactly the same...Same thing goes to sentences that have the same meaning. If you add the numbers of each word in the sentence and compare the sum to the sum of the words in a different sentence with the same meaning you get the same number..

It's quite fascinating if you think about it :D

Wow. I didn't know that... :shock:

Now an interesting question is what flavour of English do people learn. Well for non English speaking EU citizens the answer is of course . ... American English generally.

In China it's old formal British English, which explains why the textbooks are filled with people named "Sandy", apparently. :p

teeb, I've never seen Firefly, though my nerd friends say it's good. I probably should, sometime. Heh.

Cobol74 said:
Now an interesting question is what flavour of English do people learn. Well for non English speaking EU citizens the answer is of course . ... American English generally.

Nope, I had English English :p which is why I still refuse to write colour without the u :mrgreen:

When i got my proficiency degree in english i had to take 2 exams.. One from Cambrige uni for British english and one from Michigan for American english..

Got an A in both of them 8)

Cobol74 said:

Interesting you should say. We learn english english in norwegian schools, I write through not thru, colour etc. But because of the american cultural influence in tv and movies, my accent is a mash of english and american.

mgkdk said:
Cobol74 said:

Nope, I had English English :p which is why I still refuse to write colour without the u :mrgreen:
x2

I'd actually bet on the opposite. I think most bilingual/english schools in EU teach British English.

Another one who learned English/English at school. Watching all these American movies has spoiled my perfect Oxford accent though. :lol:

swek said:
Onother one who learned English/English at school. Watching all these American movies has spoiled my perfect Oxford accent though. :lol:
Your accents probablly better than my northern accent.
When I was in London some people couldn't really understand me unless a tried to neutralise my accent.

English/English here as well.. Lord have mercy on the man who spoke or wrote american words on our classes (yes, the teacher was an old hag with no children and/or life :lol: )

I guess we also had proper english, allthough there were some so called "native speakers" - americans and canadians that taught/helped in the highschool.
So you pick up some from them, some from the mtv :lol: .. and you have masses of people that don't speak anything really - tutti frutti english.
But we try...

Glad i learnt another language when i was young but as for now picking up a new language is quite difficult. To start is easy, to completely master it (speak and understand) is difficult.

English schools in mainland China taught mainly the British variant, which is why my parents still pronounce answer "ahnswer" and my cousins go into fits of giggles whenver they see "W.C."

I actually learned English as a second language, but it over took my primary one (chinese). Now i can only speak Chinese...but not read or write.

They tried to teach me English English but I fought back and kept speaking American English! Hood, Trunk and Truck!