Samsung NX100 - Yes or no?

rideclutch

Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar ST
I'm heading off overseas next month, so I'm thinking about buying a new camera for the trip. I was gonna look into buying a quality SLR camera, but then I saw this Samsung NX100 being advertised. Obviously it's no top of the range product, but I figured being a complete n00b at Photography it might just do the trick and let me take a few decent snaps. I also didn't really want to spend a fortune on a good camera and not know how to use it while I was there.

So anyone know if this will do the trick, or should I look elsewhere? Not worried about absolute quality images, just needs to be easy to use and give me a few options on how to take the photo. Thanks :D

It's still a four-thirds, SLR-type sort of camera with an interchangeable lens. Get it with nice prime (30/2 or 20/2.8), zoom with your feet and you'll have a nice little setup.

Depending on how much of a n00b you consider yourself to be, consider also the Sony NEX-3 or -5, the Panasonic GF2, or the Olympus E-PL2; they're in the same general category of large-sensor compact cameras but all with different interfaces and levels of ease of use. The Sony is said to be very good for people who just want to take pictures without too much fiddling with camera controls, while the Panasonic and the Olympus have more expansion potential if you want to get serious about photography. Be aware that of these cameras, the Sony and Samsung don't have built-in flashes, and the Samsung doesn't offer image stabilization in either its lenses or the body, which can make it less suited for low-light photography.

Last edited:
Depending on how much of a n00b you consider yourself to be, consider also the Sony NEX-3 or -5, the Panasonic GF2, or the Olympus E-PL2; they're in the same general category of large-sensor compact cameras but all with different interfaces and levels of ease of use. The Sony is said to be very good for people who just want to take pictures without too much fiddling with camera controls, while the Panasonic and the Olympus have more expansion potential if you want to get serious about photography. Be aware that of these cameras, the Sony and Samsung don't have built-in flashes, and the Samsung doesn't offer image stabilization in either its lenses or the body, which can make it less suited for low-light photography.

When talking about mirrorless ILC systems, we should all do the duty of clarifying the crop factor on the different sensors, esp to a n00b.

Both the Sony and Samsung use full sized APS-C sensor, which in layman speak means its the same size sensor and therefore viewfinder coverage area as most consumer level dSLRs, while the Panasonic and Olympus using their 4/3'ds standard sensor, is smaller having a crop factor of 2.0x vs the APS-C sensored 1.5x and less coverage thru the viewfinder.

OP: If you want ease of use, image quality, performance, honestly the Sony NEX series does all of the above a bit better than the competition. The only downsides is for some serious exeperienced photographers, the ergonomics and user interface are too compact camera oriented for their liking, but for inexperienced users, many of the ones I know love it.

I've started shying away from the micro4/3rds cameras because of the smaller image sensors, slower fps and worse low light ISO performance. yes they are capable of taking some brilliant photos some of the time, but I found the performance limitations of my GF1 in less than perfect lighting situations frankly irritating and the image noise is horrible above 800, making it difficult to bump ISO to shoot faster when needed. Frankly my Canon powershot S90 was handling those situations better and its a compact.

OP: If you want ease of use, image quality, performance, honestly the Sony NEX series does all of the above a bit better than the competition. The only downsides is for some serious exeperienced photographers, the ergonomics and user interface are too compact camera oriented for their liking, but for inexperienced users, many of the ones I know love it.
I wouldn't recommend Sony to my worst enemy. That's just too cruel.

Sony = spawn of SATAN!

Should never have bought a Hollywood studio.

Nor made their DVD players the most difficult to make region free.

I wouldn't recommend Sony to my worst enemy. That's just too cruel.

I'm going to repeat what I said, I know many die hard Canon and Nikon shooters who picked up a NEX5 to use on the side or for situations that don't warrant lugging an SLR, they've been quite pleased with the performance and I'm impressed with the out of the camera shots they've posted. I'm considering picking up one to try out when I have the cash to spare.

Unlike some people, I don't get mired down in blind brand loyalty/hate. I like/dislike individual products on their own merits/faults.

I'm not saying it's a bad product, I just avoid Sony as a rule. They are a hateful company.

I'm not saying it's a bad product, I just avoid Sony as a rule. They are a hateful company.

You do realize the ppl who run the camera company aren't even close to the same ppl who run the TV production...or the film studios. 'Sony' is just a label for the corporate umbrella.

Actually i know you already know that, but whatever, you free to dislike what you like, I ask you politely and nicely not let that attitude crap on my advice towards someone else looking for an opinion.

No I think it is fair to state with reasons why one may avoid products from a given company, so long as you make it clear that you are not commenting directly upon the capability of the product recommended.

It may be, at that price point, a very good product (I bought a PS3 for instance) but I still think Sony went from being one of the good corpoate guys to a bad guy with the acquisition of the hollywood studios. It has adversely affected their corporate decision making ever since.

I fear it happens to all multinationals sooner or later, something will happen and their corporate culture will be infected probably by a company that was shit and they bought, trouble is that some of the management from the failed company will come on board and fuck up the bigger company.

Sometimes it is other reasons but usually to do with outside management coming in. ...

Cough, Mercedes. ...

Good for freaking you. I agree with edkwon, don't let your attitude get in the way of the advice of others.