Sandy Bridge (Builds, Discussion and Random Shit)

Sandy Bridge-E will be octo-core with quad channel RAM, and a decently overclocked air-cooled 2600k will out-brute force an overclocked i7-990X.

I'm personally more tempted with the forthcoming 22nm Ivy Bridge parts which will be out around the same time. And I think I *may* just be able to hold out till then.

That's the thing, I'm too lazy to overclock stuff, I'm looking for out-of-box annihilation like the i7s are to the LGA775s. Until that happens, I don't think i'll be upgrading.

That's the thing, I'm too lazy to overclock stuff, I'm looking for out-of-box annihilation like the i7s are to the LGA775s. Until that happens, I don't think i'll be upgrading.

uhmm... Overclocking a 2500K or a 2600K to 4.2GHz is literally just going into the BIOS and raising the multiplier from whatever it is to 42x... Not even a 5min job... You don't even have to mess with voltages, memory timings etc, just raise one multiplier...

4.2GHz is conservative, and hence easy. Getting a 5GHz OC for daily use is far more interesting and requires more effort, especially since you want watercooling to keep temps low, but its far more doable than getting a S478 P4 to 4GHz was...

Anybody know how the HD 3000 performs in video editing. My dad is a casual video editor (nothing extraordinary, just cutting, adding titles with serifs, no HD (yet)) and his old machine is um... old. If he could save buying a discreet graphics card, that would be great.

Anybody know how the HD 3000 performs in video editing. My dad is a casual video editor (nothing extraordinary, just cutting, adding titles with serifs, no HD (yet)) and his old machine is um... old. If he could save buying a discreet graphics card, that would be great.

Editing raws will depend mainly on the software you're using and the raw CPU power. Encoding the raw will be quite quick.

Last edited:
uhmm... Overclocking a 2500K or a 2600K to 4.2GHz is literally just going into the BIOS and raising the multiplier from whatever it is to 42x... Not even a 5min job... You don't even have to mess with voltages, memory timings etc, just raise one multiplier...

4.2GHz is conservative, and hence easy. Getting a 5GHz OC for daily use is far more interesting and requires more effort, especially since you want watercooling to keep temps low, but its far more doable than getting a S478 P4 to 4GHz was...

As said, if I want to get into overclocking, I'll do it to something with a better baseline, i.e. 3.0ghz hex or octo cores. That's what I'm waiting for.

As said, if I want to get into overclocking, I'll do it to something with a better baseline, i.e. 3.0ghz hex or octo cores. That's what I'm waiting for.

Nope. The higher end chips just aren't worth it quite yet, unless you do a lot of video encoding or heavy maths (I believe with CUDA/Stream, CPUs matter even less there now, and video encoding with SB is bonkers fast). More often than not its the GPU, HDD/SSD that are limiting factors in real terms.

Editing raws will depend mainly on the software you're using and the raw CPU power. Encoding the raw will be quite quick.
Mmm that's what I figured too. I read that Premiere uses CUDA, but that CUDA is fast but crap at quality. The HD 3000 should be well enough for him.

Last edited:
Looks like Bulldozer was a pretty big flop. I wish wasn't the case, because it would be nice to see a competitor to Intel's offerings.

Got my 2500k up and running, with a nice 120mm HSF. Overclocked to 4.2 GHz and running like a champ (32?C idling and 55-58?C running Prime95). I don't need any more speed than that, but given how well it's warming up the computer room, I might overclock it more as winter approaches; what's a safe temperature for Sandy Bridge? :lol:

Got my 2500k up and running, with a nice 120mm HSF. Overclocked to 4.2 GHz and running like a champ (32?C idling and 55-58?C running Prime95). I don't need any more speed than that, but given how well it's warming up the computer room, I might overclock it more as winter approaches; what's a safe temperature for Sandy Bridge? :lol:

Generally safe max for intel chips is about 100C. I've abused the crap out of an E8400 running about 80C for days on end and it was still good. For longevity though I wouldn't want to go much above 70C for extended periods.

I have a coolit eco on my 2500k. My idle temperatures are around 34-36C....seems a bit high considering it hasn't been overclocked and chaos has lower temps with a higher voltage.

Also, what kind of speeds can I get with this cooler? Anybody with experience?

My early i7-920 (pre D0) has been running at 70-90c underload since 2009 without any problems, and I imagine the 32nm cpus are much the same.

I have a coolit eco on my 2500k. My idle temperatures are around 34-36C....seems a bit high considering it hasn't been overclocked and chaos has lower temps with a higher voltage.

Might be worth mentioning that I keep my apartment around 15?C in the winter to save on my heating bill. :p