Sandy Bridge (Builds, Discussion and Random Shit)

Looking to upgrade my current system. I currently have the following important specs:

E8500
HD4870 (512mb)
3GB RAM (1GB BalliStix, 2GB OCZ)
Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L Motherboard
OCZ Mod-X Stream Pro 500w PSU
Crucial RealSSD C300 60GB~ SSD
WD Green 7200rpm 1TB HDD (possible on its way out, been clicking for a while)

This is in a medium form factor case which I am happy to upgrade but it will have to remain that size.
I intend to keep the PSU and drives from the old system (and odds & sods such as DVD burner, card reader etc).

It won't be used for hardcore gaming but will be used for modern games such as Skyrim etc. My current system has done 3 years and still plays brand new games on high settings so I'm looking for a similar level of longetivity.
I'm not one for overclocking at all so assume everything will be used vanilla. Due to this I also don't want a heatsink the size of a small skyscraper.
I do want it to be next to silent in non intensive usage like my current system.
The most important thing is cost. I've got about ?500 to spend on the upgrade which may be tight but should be enough.
Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

With those specs I'd wait for Ivy Bridge. (Coming March or April next year.)

While ram may be slightly more expensive by that time (due to companies cutting the supply of 4GB sticks in an attempt to raise prices,) the new GPUs and CPUs out should be worth the wait.

^What he said

Wait for Ivy Bridge and the new generation GPUs.

Fair enough. I wouldn't be doing the upgrade until January anyway so another few months isn't really a problem.

So the 2500K successor has a whole 100 MHz more than the old one. Hopefully those 18 fewer TDPs indicate it'll overclock more, at least.

Looks like Ivy Bridge is just a small improvement over Sandy Bridge, that said I don't plan on replacing my 2500k anytime soon (probably not for at least three years).

Looks like Ivy Bridge is just a small improvement over Sandy Bridge, that said I don't plan on replacing my 2500k anytime soon (probably not for at least three years).

yeah with this in mind I'm just gonna go socket 2011 at this point.

This. I'm not going to replace my 2500k anytime soon considering that I've got it water cooled and running it at stock clocks. I can OC it anytime I want.

With that new info in mind, I'm glad I just ordered this system:

1CoolerMaster HAF X Case$209.00
1CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W$285.00
1Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW OEM$29.00
1G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL (4x4GB) DDR3$109.00
2OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD 2.5"$418.00
2Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Overclocked V2$778.00
1Corsair Hydro Series H100 CPU Cooler$165.00
1Intel Core i7 3930K$679.00
1Gigabyte G1.Assassin2 Motherboard$459.00

$3131.00 Total, minus the monitor and a couple of HDDs I'm gonna get after they drop in price.

Nice to know that it should be the 2nd best processor for at least a year lol

Looks like a nice system you've got there :D
I'd have gone AMD for the GPU though :p

Veeery nice system though the PSU is huge overkill :p

The H100 is $165? AUD? Dang, I got mine for $85...

^I was going to comment on the high parts prices too, but then I noticed camsinny lives in Australia.

Yep :( Raped on price. I was gonna buy 2 2TB HDDs too, then my mate told me that they're ridiculously overpriced atm (even by aus standards) which I hadn't noticed. I'll wait out on them.

I would have gone for a noctua cooler for the CPU but it wasn't available yet (never done watercooled, even one of those half-assed one I'm gonna get. Hope it doesn't screw up...)

I have basicly the same water cooler and it's a breeze to install, no issues in the past 6 months of ownership and ~45?C under fulll load speaks for itself.