Sandy Bridge (Builds, Discussion and Random Shit)

So I finished my PhD thesis, defense (sorta) and exam, and decided to reward myself with a couple GTX 780 (or baby-Titan as I like to call them)

qqz8jk.jpg

Kinda dig the glowing writing, sadly it's gonna go away since both cards will be watercooled in the near future (the top card gets up to 80 ?C and throttles down to 860 MHz while the bottom card stays at 990-1000 Mhz). With sufficient cooling and a small increase in GPU voltage I'm expecting between 1100 and 1200 Mhz on each card.

Also, cables and tubes are a bit messy at the moment, but since I have to go in there again anyway, I will redo them after I "applied" some water to both cards.

Last edited:
You guys have such neat and clean cases! While trying to diagnose my computer problems, I've realized how crap mine looks. I have no ability to get the wiring in an orderly fashion.

If you invest something like 100 ? (probably equals to 100 $ in the US since EU always gets ripped off when it comes to technology) you get cable management, meaning there is a small gap behind the mainboard-tray and the outer wall which you can use for placing most/all cables. And modular PSUs also help, since you can remove every unneeded cable.

Here's the cable management in my main machine:
ib5ATRK.jpg

Other than the fan wires for my radiator I'm pretty happy with it. Still looking for a way to route those fan wires differently, I might try zip-tieing them onto the water tubes.

Velcro. Talking of which, I need velcro...

Good call. I'm gonna order some little velcro cable management things and use those to attach them to the water tubes.

Why didn't you mount the radiator the other way round? The large tubes won't be so much in the way for air flow then...

Why didn't you mount the radiator the other way round? The large tubes won't be so much in the way for air flow then...

Good call, I should do that.

So I finished my PhD thesis, defense (sorta) and exam, and decided to reward myself with a couple GTX 780 (or baby-Titan as I like to call them)

qqz8jk.jpg

Kinda dig the glowing writing, sadly it's gonna go away since both cards will be watercooled in the near future (the top card gets up to 80 ?C and throttles down to 860 MHz while the bottom card stays at 990-1000 Mhz). With sufficient cooling and a small increase in GPU voltage I'm expecting between 1100 and 1200 Mhz on each card.

Also, cables and tubes are a bit messy at the moment, but since I have to go in there again anyway, I will redo them after I "applied" some water to both cards.

Was just reading a benchmark on this, dollar for dollar, two 780s outperform the Titan on everything above 1900x1200, so you actually just bought Titan+

Was just reading a benchmark on this, dollar for dollar, two 780s outperform the Titan on everything above 1900x1200, so you actually just bought Titan+

The Titan was never about being a gaming card to top them all, it was about being a cheap Tesla K20X without ECC memory, which retails for, ">$3199" (support contract not included) according to official docs. Its for the people who need the silly FP64 performance, but not the guaranteed reliability or support.

In every other respect, the 780 is as fast or faster, thanks to the lower TDP from one fewer SMX despite the higher clocks.

EDIT: well, minus the FP64 performance of the Titan that is... the 780 has FP64 enabled on just one SMX, vs the titan's option to enable it on all 14 enabled SMX.

Last edited:
The Titan was never about being a gaming card to top them all, it was about being a cheap Tesla K20X without ECC memory, which retails for, ">$3199" (support contract not included) according to official docs. Its for the people who need the silly FP64 performance, but not the guaranteed reliability or support.

In every other respect, the 780 is as fast or faster, thanks to the lower TDP from one fewer SMX despite the higher clocks.

EDIT: well, minus the FP64 performance of the Titan that is... the 780 has FP64 enabled on just one SMX, vs the titan's option to enable it on all 14 enabled SMX.

blahblahblah i just responded to the mini Titan comment, we all know you know are the spectre of technology...