Sandy Bridge (Builds, Discussion and Random Shit)

I hope my UD7 doesnt get recalled. I'll be sad.

Edit: It will be. At least I can trust gigabyte to fix my shit.

Last edited:
Newegg's stance (Great company)

Dear -----------
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. Newegg has recently become aware of a design issue that is affecting recent models of Intel Sandy Bridge platform motherboards. We are working with Intel to identify the exact nature of this problem.

As always, Newegg remains 100% committed to our customers' total satisfaction. In keeping with our commitment to our customers, we are extending the return period for your motherboard by 90 days or until replacements become available from the manufacturer, whichever is greater. Intel expects to have a new revision of the P67 & H67 chipsets out around April, at which point first-run motherboards with this issue will need to be physically replaced in affected systems.

From a technical standpoint, the design issue can be bypassed fairly simply by not using the Serial ATA (SATA) ports that are affected. Your motherboard?s manual should identify your SATA ports by number, and at a minimum you should see ports 0-5 (6 ports in total) listed. Ports 0 and 1 are Sata Rev. III (6Gbps), and do not appear to be affected by this problem. Ports 2-5 are SATA Rev. II (3Gbps) and should not be used. For a thorough explanation of this hardware work-around, please refer to our video on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJcE2alQPvY

If you choose to use the hardware work-around option, there is no need to contact us at this time. We have your information on record and will email you as soon as the replacements become available. If you would like to discuss this with our tech community or read up on the latest updates, please visit our EggXpert forum:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/682006.aspx

If none of the above options are suitable to your needs and you wish to return the board at this time for a full refund, please email us at intelsandybridge@newegg.com and include your sales order number so we can help you out with your return.

If you have any concerns, please contact Newegg Customer Service for further information and assistance.

Thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Your Newegg.com Customer Service Team

Last edited:
At least they're willing to fix things, which is good.

Lucky I haven't bought committed to a new computer build...

newegg have pulled all the Sandy Bridge CPUs off their site now, a bit silly considering its just MBs that are affected and that too a few models.

And AFAIK, it's not just a few motherboards. It's ALL P67 and H67 chipset motherboards...which is every single 1155 motherboards out there right now. Basically you cannot build any sandy bridge systems at this point unless you're willing to buy a defective motherboard from the used market.

And here I was, all stoked for my new SB build, and then the recall hits...

The Specs :
- Sandy Bridge 2500K
- Scythe Mugen II Rev. B Cooler
- ASUS P8P67 Pro
- Mushkin Redline 996805 2x2GB 6-8-6-20
- Sapphire HD6950 2GB
- Corsair Force Series 120GB SATA2 SSD
- Silverstone Strider 1000 Gold 1000W
- Silverstone Fortress FT02B-W

I'll post some pics (of unboxing, and build) as soon as I get them uploaded.

And here I was, all stoked for my new SB build, and then the recall hits...

The Specs :
- Sandy Bridge 2500K
- Scythe Mugen II Rev. B Cooler
- ASUS P8P67 Pro
- Mushkin Redline 996805 2x2GB 6-8-6-20
- Sapphire HD6950 2GB
- Corsair Force Series 120GB SATA2 SSD
- Silverstone Strider 1000 Gold 1000W
- Silverstone Fortress FT02B-W

I'll post some pics (of unboxing, and build) as soon as I get them uploaded.

Why the huge overkill on PSU when all that could run on half the wattage.

Im not saying you should have bought a 500w but it would run on it.... Easily....

Why the huge overkill on PSU when all that could run on half the wattage.

Im not saying you should have bought a 500w but it would run on it.... Easily....

Maybe some kind of Silverstone deal that he got? OR he plans to add a half dozen more HDDs :D

Maybe some kind of Silverstone deal that he got? OR he plans to add a half dozen more HDDs :D

At least two more since my list didn't include storage drives, or optical drives....

Not to mention that I'll probably end up with a second video card at some point. Under full load, those things can suck back the juice !

At least two more since my list didn't include storage drives, or optical drives....

Not to mention that I'll probably end up with a second video card at some point. Under full load, those things can suck back the juice !

If you buy all that and OC the **** out of your 2500k you will still stay under 600w at the worst :)

So I finally got my new motherboard in, which meant I had some more overclocking to do.

I managed to get a max of 5.3 GHz @1.48 volts(http://valid.canardp....php?id=1650940), however this was only stable running super p., Not wanting to go above 1.5 volts, I bumped the overclock down to 5 GHz @1.46 volts (no post here for obvious reasons). I ran it in prime for about 20 minutes and then saw my temps spike up from 78-86 (already very high) for 95 at which point I turned the test off. (I don't have a great cooler, just a $10 Corsair A50)

I still doing a 4.6 GHz 24/7 overclock, however I've managed to bring the voltage down to 1.256 volts, with maxes around 65-70 in a closed case with fan spooled down, and 55 in an open case.

So I finally got my new motherboard in, which meant I had some more overclocking to do.

I managed to get a max of 5.3 GHz @1.48 volts(http://valid.canardp....php?id=1650940), however this was only stable running super p., Not wanting to go above 1.5 volts, I bumped the overclock down to 5 GHz @1.46 volts (no post here for obvious reasons). I ran it in prime for about 20 minutes and then saw my temps spike up from 78-86 (already very high) for 95 at which point I turned the test off. (I don't have a great cooler, just a $10 Corsair A50)

I still doing a 4.6 GHz 24/7 overclock, however I've managed to bring the voltage down to 1.256 volts, with maxes around 65-70 in a closed case with fan spooled down, and 55 in an open case.

How long till RMA? :p

How long till RMA? :p
I discovered what my computer tried to boot, a fucking ipod! Yeah... anyways as long as I don't have it connected at boot I should be fine.

Here are some stress test benchmarks with the avx extensions added (with intel's LinPack and SP1), man do these things tax the cpu, I usually get a max wattage of 45 if I'm doing something really intensive; 85 in Prime and this uses 135! But the results jumped from about 60 to 120.

http://img141.imageshack.**/img141/8268/burntestlin.png

http://img201.imageshack.**/img201/9834/linpackfinish.png

Anyone try the H67 instead of the P67 boards yet? Seeing as I do my gaming almost exclusively on my Playstation, and do quite a bit of video stuff, I figured it might be worth my time to get a h67 board and have the Quick Sync capability. I think i could pull of a powerfull little workstation for not too much. Sounds like the H67 boards are having less issues then the P67 ones with the whole chipset debacle. I am tempted to wait for the X68 boards though too.

You're best off waiting for the Z68 chipset that will have the features of both the P67 and H67, mainly because any non K desktop cpu has the 2000 series grahpics chip which has only 6 EUs.

So my build got delayed a bit because of the problems with Sandy Bridge (my retailer cancelled all existing orders involving the affected MB's)
Now, a month or so later, I'm going to order again but the PSU I had decided on isn't offered anymore, and the ones available are a bit on the expensive side.
So my question to you guys, what wattage would I need to run an i5 2500k, GTX460/470, 1,5TB HDD, and maybe in the future an SSD? I planned on a 650W one, but would 500W do?

That really comes up to what manufacture the PSU comes from.
500w will do easily but I would still take a 650w Corsair any day. I would not go lower :)

Take this Corsair TX650 V2:
Corsair-TX650-V2-614x470.jpg

500W will do you perfectly fine. So many people think they need a billion gigawatt PSU.