Sandy Bridge (Builds, Discussion and Random Shit)

Actually the only reason I chose that mobo was that it had 4 RAM slots, which I think is important. Is it better to do 2X4GB or 4X2GB? Or doesn't matter? Also, I was reading here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1575137

Depends on hyow far you're overclocking. having many modules will introduce slight discrepancies with memory timings, so you'll have to raise the CAS latencies in order to OC the RAM. It all depends on which you prefer, bandwidth or responsiveness. IMO an extra 1-2ns (nanoseconds) of latency is fair trade for more memory and/or higher speeds.

You know what would make this a whole lot easier?? If somebody would tell me whether I really need to overclock or not?? I've heard you can still get the 3.3GHz 2500k up to 3.7GHz even on the H67 board. I want to get the most out of my computer, but I'm on a budget here and don't want to spend money for nothing. On the other hand, if it's a case of spending an extra $50 and getting a much better computer with a longer lifespan, I'm all for that! I should point out that I change computers maybe every 5 years or so...

You never *need* to overclock, but given that the K chips go past the 4.5GHz boundary on air cooling, I consider it almost a crime not to OC those. Especially with the modern live Overclocking tools that you can set with multiple profiles for different stuff: low-speed for general work, high-speed for games/complex 3D animation/designwork.

You never *need* to overclock, but given that the K chips go past the 4.5GHz boundary on air cooling, I consider it almost a crime not to OC those. Especially with the modern live Overclocking tools that you can set with multiple profiles for different stuff: low-speed for general work, high-speed for games/complex 3D animation/designwork.

More info on those tools please?

Actually the only reason I chose that mobo was that it had 4 RAM slots, which I think is important. Is it better to do 2X4GB or 4X2GB? Or doesn't matter? Also, I was reading here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1575137

People are moaning about the lack of onboard graphics in the H67, but honestly, who doesn't buy an add-on graphics card in the end anyway?? I want to, I just am not sure if I want to splash out on it immediately, or wait till i have more cash and then do it...

I can see myself waiting for the Z68, and probably ending up spending more money in the end :p

Also what's up with this GPU in the processor itself?? Does this have an effect only if you have onboard graphics? Or does it always help? I wish somebody could just tabulate all the differences between the different motherboards...it's so confusing!!

You know what would make this a whole lot easier?? If somebody would tell me whether I really need to overclock or not?? I've heard you can still get the 3.3GHz 2500k up to 3.7GHz even on the H67 board. I want to get the most out of my computer, but I'm on a budget here and don't want to spend money for nothing. On the other hand, if it's a case of spending an extra $50 and getting a much better computer with a longer lifespan, I'm all for that! I should point out that I change computers maybe every 5 years or so...

It's going to give the same performance if you have two or four RAM blocks. But everything over 4GB is overkill unless you do some hardcore editing. - Stick with 4GB ;)

I don't know why they made it in the chip. Thats also why I don't understand how people can say the graphics aren't good on that MOBO?

At this point the i5 2500 Sandy Bridge processor kicks ass at stock clock, there will be a looong time till it can't keep up. If you aren't going to buy a good GFX you will never need anything better than the stock clock. Then the GFX is just going to hold you back.
You can enable the "turbo mode" and then the chip will be running at 3.7GHz. But as far as I know you don't need a "K" processor for that :)

So if I'm right you can with a i5 2500 and a H67 motherboard enable the "Turbo Mode" and have a i5 2500 running at 3.7GHz :)

People are moaning about the lack of onboard graphics in the H67, but honestly, who doesn't buy an add-on graphics card in the end anyway?? I want to, I just am not sure if I want to splash out on it immediately, or wait till i have more cash and then do it...

I can see myself waiting for the Z68, and probably ending up spending more money in the end :p

Go for 2x4GB, that way (if you really want to) you can upgrade your sticks. You also benefit from lower power consumption.

As for Z68, i'd totally wait for it. The combination of Intel's IGU, Hydra and a 2500k would be a real stonker.

It's going to give the same performance if you have two or four RAM blocks. But everything over 4GB is overkill unless you do some hardcore editing. - Stick with 4GB ;)

I don't know why they made it in the chip. Thats also why I don't understand how people can say the graphics aren't good on that MOBO?

At this point the i5 2500 Sandy Bridge processor kicks ass at stock clock, there will be a looong time till it can't keep up. If you aren't going to buy a good GFX you will never need anything better than the stock clock. Then the GFX is just going to hold you back.
You can enable the "turbo mode" and then the chip will be running at 3.7GHz. But as far as I know you don't need a "K" processor for that :)

So if I'm right you can with a i5 2500 and a H67 motherboard enable the "Turbo Mode" and have a i5 2500 running at 3.7GHz :)

Every computer I have bought until today has had the same "problems". I should add that I am currently running the following:

Windows XP SP3 on an HP Pavilion with Intel Pentium M Centrino processor, 1.6GHz, ATI Radeon Mobility 9200, 160GB Samsung HM160HC (Fastest IDE hard drive for a laptop), 1.25GHz of RAM running at I think 400MHz.

I'd call the performance on this computer quite "fair". Windows takes some time to boot up, but surfing on Mozilla is good (easily 8-10 browser tabs open simultaneously and other programs, no prob).

I'd say my biggest problems are: Cannot play 1080p HD at ALL. It's a slideshow. 720 is not bad but not smooth entirely. Photoshop takes a while to start up, and takes ages processing my Canon DSLR's RAW files. I can take a few hours processing a hundred or so photos, because I have to wait for each photo to load etc. And of course I have to finetune the settings. Video conversion (I don't do it THAT much) is awfully slow. Not even worth trying. A 700MB film can take hours to decode to a different format or resolution etc. Audio editing is pretty ok. Video editing is pretty much impossible if the files are big.

Gaming: I ran MS FS2004 on pretty high settings, with tons of add ons (like 5GB) with almost no probs. PMDG's planes were a nightmare though and I really had to dial down my settings. Was virtually unplayable, especially if I wanted to do FSPassengers, and that virtual weather program, and PMDG plane, and VATSIM all at once!! I never tried playing any newer games because I realized that it was impossible. Currently I'm very interested in playing Arma2, and maybe the DCS (Lock-on series) planes (The new Warthog looks great!).

I want my computer to last as long as possible before having to upgrade again, especially as I'm splashing so much money in it. As it stands, the difference in price between if I get the P version (OC'able) or the H version (integrated graphics) works out to be about $50. The big catch is that then I am also forced to buy a graphics card at the same time. Dilemma is: Cheap card for now (but have to basically throw it later) or get a good card now and then be REALLY broke!

Re 2X4GB or 4X2GB, I don't see myself needing more than 8GB. Lower power consumption is good though...any idea how much? If I'm going for only two sticks of RAM I can get a cheaper mobo too, though I don't know if that's really a good idea! (Was originally considering a Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3 s1155).

I've ALWAYS found myself needing more RAM, and believe me if I get 4GB today, tomorrow Windows 8 will come out requiring minimum 4GB of RAM, and I'll have hardly any RAM left for anything else! Besides, RAM is cheap now and best to get it while it's cheap, because it can only get more expensive as the 1333MHz range gets phased out...

So, you guys can decide whether really I'd need an overclock or not based on what I've written here. I'm a bit of a speed freak, but not really if you look at what I've been using for the last 5 years with hardly a complaint! If I bought a graphics card now, I'd probably not get anything more fancy than a Gigabyte AMD HD5770 or a Gigabyte Nvidia GTS450 OC, both around $185 here. Of course, in the future I might want to upgrade that too, the question is how long before computer games will not be able to run on High with a 2500K processor at stock speed? And would OC make a difference??? And if so, how much?

So many questions, but you guys are helping me a lot!!! Thanks!

Well, let's come up with a build for you. I have a few questions though.

1. What's your budget?
2. What's the newest, most graphic intensive, game you play?
3. How important is video encoding to you?

Last edited:
Re 2X4GB or 4X2GB, I don't see myself needing more than 8GB. Lower power consumption is good though...any idea how much? If I'm going for only two sticks of RAM I can get a cheaper mobo too, though I don't know if that's really a good idea! (Was originally considering a Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3 s1155).

I've ALWAYS found myself needing more RAM, and believe me if I get 4GB today, tomorrow Windows 8 will come out requiring minimum 4GB of RAM, and I'll have hardly any RAM left for anything else! Besides, RAM is cheap now and best to get it while it's cheap, because it can only get more expensive as the 1333MHz range gets phased out...

So, you guys can decide whether really I'd need an overclock or not based on what I've written here. I'm a bit of a speed freak, but not really if you look at what I've been using for the last 5 years with hardly a complaint! If I bought a graphics card now, I'd probably not get anything more fancy than a Gigabyte AMD HD5770 or a Gigabyte Nvidia GTS450 OC, both around $185 here. Of course, in the future I might want to upgrade that too, the question is how long before computer games will not be able to run on High with a 2500K processor at stock speed? And would OC make a difference??? And if so, how much?

So many questions, but you guys are helping me a lot!!! Thanks!

Thrust me, you don't need over 4GB RAM! Windows 8 won't have a minimum of 4GB of RAM, even if it did it would not use 4GB RAM all the time. 99% of all games today you can't fell ANY different in FPS bestween 3GB RAM and 16GB RAM.

There will be a year or two before a 2500k can't keep up anymore :)

Thrust me, you don't need over 4GB RAM! Windows 8 won't have a minimum of 4GB of RAM, even if it did it would not use 4GB RAM all the time. 99% of all games today you can't fell ANY different in FPS bestween 3GB RAM and 16GB RAM.

I have to agree.

The average person doesn't really need more than 2 GB. Power users don't really need more than 4 GB. And there are very few people that will make use of 8 GB or more. In games you definitely wouldn't see a difference between 4 GB and 8 GB or more.

I have to agree.

The average person doesn't really need more than 2 GB. Power users don't really need more than 4 GB. And there are very few people that will make use of 8 GB or more. In games you definitely wouldn't see a difference between 4 GB and 8 GB or more.

The only reason I went for as much ram as I did was price, I had the chance to get 16GB for the price of 8GB. Sure I only use more than 8GB when running VMs, but when RAMs cheap you buy it.

The only reason I went for as much ram as I did was price, I had the chance to get 16GB for the price of 8GB. Sure I only use more than 8GB when running VMs, but when RAMs cheap you buy it.

I can't argue with that. If you can get it for the same price, go for it.

I finally bit the bullet and did my cable management today.

Before:

DSC08204.jpg

After:

DSC08216.jpg

DSC08215.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a lot of HDD's :O

But please exchange the visible strips with black ones:(

These things are awesome at video re-encoding!

I decided to start tranfering a few Blu-Ray movies to MKV format. Couldn't really figure which program would be best, so took a stab with AnyDVD HD and RipBot264 ... using AnyDVD to rip the Blu-Ray to hard disk and RipBot264 to do the rest.

On my new 2600K (without overclocking) RipBot will transcode a full 2 hour movie in about 2.5 hours. I thought I'd try the same thing on my old Pentium D (3.0 GHz) ... the same transcode took 20 hours :shock:

I finally bit the bullet and did my cable management today.

It's beautiful!

Seriously, that tickles my anal retentive side just so perfectly. Fractal Design really have done a good job with their cable management system.

Is there any word on when the Lucid software is coming? That link at the top of the page doesn't really mention much.