Sandy Bridge (Builds, Discussion and Random Shit)

I was able to overclock my 2500k to 5 GHz. This is crazy!

The vcore required is pretty damn high (+0.235v offset), but I hear 76?C is OK for these chips? I'm not using anything fancy for the cooling, either, just a big heatsink with a 120 mm fan.

Last edited:
Good job! Despite having a H80, I'm not going to mess with OC'ing my 2500k. The thing runs fine as is.

W00t, a post in here finally too!

20111207_130840.jpg

20111212_105151.jpg

20111212_120943.jpg

20120104_155406.jpg

parts lists: in no particular order.....
Kingston Technology HyperX Blu 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM (2x for a total of 16gigs)
EVGA GeForce GTX 580
Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s
EVGA Intel P67 FTW SLI EATX (Extended ATX) DDR3 1333 Motherboard
Hauppauge 1196 WinTV
Thermaltake TR2 1200W ATX 80 PLUS Certified Modular Power Supply
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Atech FlashPro-55U Internal Flash Memory Card Reader
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212
SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Combo SATA
Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
COOLER MASTER HAF 922
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

SSD is used for booting up and where I install all of my programs, the WD 500gb is used for storing shit. Using 2 monitors one on top on the other. I fucking love this setup, when I come up with more money, im buying another GTX 580. This was built primarily for gaming (Battlefield 3, Batman and SWTOR)but I also do some video editing for fun. And this setup is awesome! Quick boot up (<45 secs), smooth gaming, and hella fast editing. Now if someone can help me overclock this beast and i'd be a really happy camper.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Good job! Despite having a H80, I'm not going to mess with OC'ing my 2500k. The thing runs fine as is.

W00t, a post in here finally too!

How are the Corsair liquid coolers? I am considering using one for the next build as they are about the same price as a high end air cooler.

I have an H100 on a 2500K, and under 100% for hours (on Prime95) it never went above 55*C. Overclocked to 4.7ghz, and upvolted to 1.385v. While the ambient temperatures don't really drop below 19*C, under heavy loads are where these coolers shine. The H80 obviously has a smaller radiator, but it performs almost as well (at least from what I've heard).

I've got the older Corsair H50, my 2500k is overclocked to 4,5Ghz and temperatures are around 55-60?C under full load running Prime95. The performance is incredible, I don't see myself upgrading this CPU in the next two and a half years or so.

Active thread!

Anyway, a new GFX card. Bought it used (might as well be new) for $240.

Bought barely used $240..

http://img708.imageshack.**/img708/6068/img0763qg.jpg

http://img600.imageshack.**/img600/6625/img0764y.jpg

Just ordered a EVGA 680 GTX....my wallet hates me.

Faced with the option of buying Sandy Bridge.... I went AMD. It seemed like the same performance for less money :dunno:

And who needs hyperthreading when you have 8 physical cores :D

Faced with the option of buying Sandy Bridge.... I went AMD. It seemed like the same performance for less money :dunno:

And who needs hyperthreading when you have 8 physical cores :D
I hope it is good. Competition will be good for intel. I have heard mixed messages about amds latest chip.

I have heard nothing but disappointment over Bulldozer, but as far as I can tell it's only dissappointing that it's not better than the Intels. Which is pretty much where AMD has always been, decent performance on a budget. It was less money, so we'll see how it stacks up. So far all I have been able to determine is that a 500W PSU does not cut it.

Building a new computer for my dad - makes me want a new computer of my own :lol: :(
His is something of a budgetish build - total cost of about ?500 but that didn't include the case, which we already had.

Anyway:
Intel i5 2500K
Asus P8Z68-V Motherboard
Kingston Blu 8GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon 6870 GDDR5 GFX (got this for ?75 off a mate whose computer died)
850w PSU

It won't be overclocked or pushed spectacularly hard; but this will last him 10 years easily.

Definitely makes me want a new computer; I just can't justify it. I can justify a car more than this; and I really don't need a car :p

Since the thread has "random shit" in its title, here is something random:

http://img12.imageshack.**/img12/2695/8bilderkopie.jpg

My 7970 in all its glory arrived a couple of days ago, as did all the watercooling stuff needed to keep temps down and the card quiet. I'm still amazed by a) the fact, that EK Water Blocks actually manufactures a full cover cooler that fits the special Asus DC II version of this card, and only this version (because custom PCB, VRMs in different position and more of them than on reference cards), and b) the temperatures. Dropped from 75 ?C under GPU load (Furmark) with fans spinning at 2200 rpm to 45 ?C with watercooling and 400 rpm fans.

Also, the CPU is an i7, so I'm not completely off topic ;)

Reactions: AiR
Please get rid of those anti kink thingies around your tubing, you do your build no justice.

Well, I do actually like the look of them - some actually do serve a purpose as well ;) (not all of them though - I originally didn't really know how hard I would have to bend each tube so I put one spring on each tube segment and only discovered that I didn't need all of them when there was already water in the system. However, I plan a small rebuild/modification sometime this month, during which I might remove the springs that aren't really needed)

Function > Looks.

Ok only partially but those things are overkill. He doesn't even bend the tubing that much, and introducing another form of resistance in the system is unnecessary when you can just lengthen the tube for some slack.

Ok only partially but those things are overkill. He doesn't even bend the tubing that much, and introducing another form of resistance in the system is unnecessary when you can just lengthen the tube for some slack.

Depending on your setup, lengthening can be bad since its easier for the whole thing to fold when moved for whatever reason. The bigger risk though is risking a situation where it kinks and completely blocks flow when carrying or something. Not something I like risking with so much equipment. Especially NOT when there's well over 2bar of pressure in the whole loop despite the high-quality barbs. Besides, I myself find them cool looking, although I'd go for shorter anti-kink coils.

Depending on your setup, lengthening can be bad since its easier for the whole thing to fold when moved for whatever reason. The bigger risk though is risking a situation where it kinks and completely blocks flow when carrying or something. Not something I like risking with so much equipment. Especially NOT when there's well over 2bar of pressure in the whole loop despite the high-quality barbs. Besides, I myself find them cool looking, although I'd go for shorter anti-kink coils.

Yes but the risk of kinking is so low if your plumbing is well done and you don't use completely godawful tubing. Certainly the risk is there, but how many people do you know put their computer together using anti-static wrist straps?