Sarah Palin - You Betcha!

On not running for President:

Finally a Palin who pulls out before it gets too late
Jay Leno

Last edited:
Very good Heathrow!

If you sent her to somewhere near Kirkenes, she really could see Russia from her house! ;)
Yeah. Or she could go to Grensejakobselv. (Jakob's River at the border). During the 50s, our intelligence service even sent dozens of humint agents (mostly Finnish veterans of the Winter War and the War of Retaliation) over that border river. Some even killed Soviet troops (there are known instances).

When I was in Norway the big thing was not to violate Sweden?s airspace. ?They will take it as act of war and launch their fighters after you!? I understand that you should not violate a countries? airspace but to call it an act of war is a bit strong. What were/are the Swedes scared of a massive invasion from Norway? ?Let?s go to war against Sweden but first another Ole or two before we venture off. Sir the Army is off for a three day weekend can we reschedule for next month??

When I was in Norway the big thing was not to violate Sweden?s airspace. ?They will take it as act of war and launch their fighters after you!? I understand that you should not violate a countries? airspace but to call it an act of war is a bit strong. What were/are the Swedes scared of a massive invasion from Norway? ?Let?s go to war against Sweden but first another Ole or two before we venture off. Sir the Army is off for a three day weekend can we reschedule for next month??
Norway = NATO, Sweden = neutral

That may have had something to do with it.

I suppose this was during the Cold War, and then it'd be a little more understandable. The Swedes were formally neutral for the whole cold war, and while a freak Norwegian F-16 in Swedish airspace might not be an attack on Sweden, it might be the beginning of an attack on the Soviet Union.

In reality, though, I find it a little far fetched. I don't think they'd shoot down a Norwegian F-16 (and while they had numerical advantage by a mile, they might struggle a little bit against the RNOAF), but it might lead to some discreet diplomatic notices, depending on circumstance.

More importantly, Sweden had one of the largest fighter forces in the world during ie. the 60s, and there was a reason for it. While formally neutral, it was expected that the Swedes would cover USAF and RAF strategic bombing runs toward Kola and the Baltics, they'd be as involved if war actually came as we would. Our defensive plans from this era rest on two strategic allies; the Royal Marines and the US Marines; and the Sweedes holding Northern Sweden. Then we could maintain an orderly, slow strategic retreat down to southern Troms, blowing up bridges, houses, hospitals and other infrastructure as we went along, the Swedish keeping the eastern flank secure, and wait for reinforcements. Would it work? Who knows. I don't think anyone really does.

Anyhow, depending on circumstance, a military flight over Sweden might have gotten shot down in those days, but I doubt it. Must have been extreme circumstances at the very least.

All this talk of the Cold War, reminds me of the epic patrol flights of the TU-95 "Bear" which flew from Archangel, up on the White Sea, to Conakry, Guinea West Africa. All the while being shadowed by NATO aircraft from Norway, UK and others.

/Sarah Palin

Yeah, and from what I've gathered, by SOSUS, cause they were so god damned noisy. :p

No worky in UK. :sad:
However, SP out of the running is a loss of comedy gold for Stewart. OK, she will still be in the media during the campaign, so not a total loss.

Yeah, and from what I've gathered, by SOSUS, cause they were so god damned noisy. :p

Yeah, I'd heard that too. A pretty amazing feat from hundreds of feet under the sea, if true. I was never sure if it was a bit of an urban cold war myth or deliberate mis-information.

Still funny, especially if they were just messing with the Soviets.

:)

However, SP out of the running is a loss of comedy gold for Stewart. OK, she will still be in the media during the campaign, so not a total loss.

Out of the running for President, not so sure she is not still trying to get her claws on VP!

Long story short: SarahPAC (her campaign organization, I suppose?) has been sending out letters that "Sarah will appreciate every gift and contribution while deciding on wether or not to run for office" (I'm paraphrasing from memory). And she just said she's out of the race. Stewart argues that she's cashing out on her followers, and more than indicates she made sure the creed for monetary support was sent out even if she knew she wouldn't run.

(Oh, and I have to say that that sort of licencing is bullshit. Let people watch the Daily Show online in the UK, we can do it in Norway for Christ sake.)

Yeah, I'd heard that too. A pretty amazing feat from hundreds of feet under the sea, if true. I was never sure if it was a bit of an urban cold war myth or deliberate mis-information.

Still funny, especially if they were just messing with the Soviets.

:)
I don't know for sure. But Wikipedia writes this:

"Its blades, which rotate faster than the speed of sound, according to one media source, make it arguably the noisiest military aircraft on earth"

So it might well be true.

Out of the running for President, not so sure she is not still trying to get her claws on VP!
Naw, a title just shackles a person. :p Even if she wanted it, no one would pick her for a running mate.

Long story short: SarahPAC (her campaign organization, I suppose?) has been sending out letters that "Sarah will appreciate every gift and contribution while deciding on wether or not to run for office" (I'm paraphrasing from memory). And she just said she's out of the race. Stewart argues that she's cashing out on her followers, and more than indicates she made sure the creed for monetary support was sent out even if she knew she wouldn't run.
The bit I thought was interesting was the clip of Bristol saying, months ago, that Palin's mind was already made up and everyone else would just have to wait and see. How she's maintained even limited support this long blows my mind.

Further proof that there is a fool born every minute.

I worked with some bubbleheads back in my Navy days and they all said you can hear a Bear on submarine SONAR not just SOSUS.

Not bad. I love the Bear. It's great.