• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

SATA 2 EXTERNAL

cookie720

Car(s)
1974 Leyland Mini, 1963 Morris Mini
Im planing to get an external harddrive just for movies and music, i want it to be the Western Digital 320GB SATA2 16MB one, i have a WD 250GB 8MB SATA1 in my computer now..

is it worth it getting the 320 as external? or should i swap them and have the 250 as external because windows will run faster on 16MB cache and sata 2?

and if i get an usb 2.0 enclosure will it suport sata 1 and 2 harddrives

also will the sata 2 external be as fast as it would be inside the computer

thanks heaps for all your help

cool...i cant read though, i read all i can and then when i take the stuff home theres always something wrong :lol:

its a bugga the harddrive i have now isnt bigger, because i wanted a 300 one for movies andmusic but now it will only be 250, i guess i can have some permanent stuff on my internal too, also what are the chances of an external harddisk to fail?

I dont see a point of taking hard drives ouside the PC unless there are no more sata ports. But then again I've seen no motherboards with 1 sata connector.

so i dont have to take my whole computer to my bros house for a movie music.......

i wouldnt bother replacing the 250GB with the 320GB harddisk, since its hardly any faster.
SATA2 may sound good, but how often wil your harddisk read or write over 150MB/s?
Even the buffered reads are only about 100MB/s, and the sustained read speeds of a 10.000 RPM Raptor are about 80MB/s.
No need for a more than 150MB/s bus with 7200RPM disks for sure.
NCQ gives hardly any performance boost under windows, it may even degrade the system's performance.

But i wouldnt go for a USB2.0 external harddisk cage, FireWire is the way to go. USB asks more CPU power and is slower.

SATA2 is backwards compatible btw, so no problem attaching it to a SATA1 controller.

About the risks:

- added risk of dropping the harddisk since you intend to move it more

- My external harddisk is often powered down when my system is running. A powered down harddisk doesnt wear out like my internal harddisk (which is on 24/7).
So you can say that in my case the internal disk has a higher risk of failure than the external one. But of course this depends on the use.

bigfoot1942 said:
i wouldnt bother replacing the 250GB with the 320GB harddisk, since its hardly any faster.
SATA2 may sound good, but how often wil your harddisk read or write over 150MB/s?
Even the buffered reads are only about 100MB/s, and the sustained read speeds of a 10.000 RPM Raptor are about 80MB/s.
No need for a more than 150MB/s bus with 7200RPM disks for sure.
NCQ gives hardly any performance boost under windows, it may even degrade the system's performance.

But i wouldnt go for a USB2.0 external harddisk cage, FireWire is the way to go. USB asks more CPU power and is slower.

SATA2 is backwards compatible btw, so no problem attaching it to a SATA1 controller.

About the risks:

- added risk of dropping the harddisk since you intend to move it more

- My external harddisk is often powered down when my system is running. A powered down harddisk doesnt wear out like my internal harddisk (which is on 24/7).
So you can say that in my case the internal disk has a higher risk of failure than the external one. But of course this depends on the use.

if thats so then what is cache? the sata1 has 8mb and the sata 2 has 16mb? if its not much difference in performanec ill just get the sata1 drive because its cheaper