Saw a bit of TGAUS's handiwork today

Car(s)
Nissan 180sx. Holden VS V8 ute. Hyundai Excel.
We had our first HSV W427 in at work today, a red one with Victorian W427 plates. All the guys were climbing over it and having a look under the bonnet as you do.
It wasnt until i got home, that i realised it was the one Steve tested at Lang Lang a couple of episodes ago!

As we were checking it out, we noticed the back tyres were feathered and worn pretty badly for such a new car. And we also noticed a big scratch on the passenger front guard. I only just twigged that it was from Steve clipping the pole while sideways on the dirt circuit. Im suprised the damage was so minimal, unless they cleaned it up a bit with the buff before sending it up.

Its on display in the showroom, so i'll try and get a picture of the damage if i get a chance tomorrow.

What sort of business do you work at?

As we were checking it out, we noticed the back tyres were feathered and worn pretty badly for such a new car. And we also noticed a big scratch on the passenger front guard. I only just twigged that it was from Steve clipping the pole while sideways on the dirt circuit. Im suprised the damage was so minimal, unless they cleaned it up a bit with the buff before sending it up.

You might also notice a vague smell of vomit in the cabin. That'd be from when GerFix and I saw it close up at 1x04 and we couldn't contain our respective opinions on that interior. Actually, no ... we were able to (just) contain the contents of our respective stomachs ... cheap Holden interiors just smell a bit vomitty when they come out of the factory, and that tacky red leather would look more suitable on the rump of a highly experienced street walker than in a $150k car.

I work at the local Holden dealer, but not on Holdens anymore. I work on the Jap cars there now mostly.

Yeah, the interior trim isnt the greatest. Doesnt look like it will wear to good over a few years. I used to like the blue leather in the older VU SS utes etc, but years later they've all worn out pretty badly.

Taking the camera in today.

lol ... as tone said, the interior just didn't smell like a new car should with all that leather. The TRD Hilux (that was also in the studio at the time) on the other hand did .... and that is less than half the price of the W427 :blink:.

To me that's the only really disapointing thing about the W427 (asides from the price, though it's seriously quick even for the price) , they could of lifted the interior form the grange and made some enhancements and it probably would of been a much better choice.

Clearly, all those dollars went into fettling that 7.0 lump under the bonnet, with some left over for a bit to tweak brakes and suspension. Important stuff, for sure. I had a feeling that the interior would be an afterthought, but it might have been better as a Lancer Evo style afterthought ? same interior as the pov pack, only with Recaro seats and a couple more buttons to control where all that money went.

Last edited:
I can understand why it may not have been so brand new on the inside. It has been the road test bitch for HSV for a while. Just noticed a picture of it on the cover of motor, and its in a few more magazines too. Its had its ass thrashed.

Went and took some pictures today. The girl at the reception desk was looking at me a bit funny, wondering why i was taking pictures of a Commodore in the showroom. And it wasnt with a mobile phone either, i took the proper digital camera.
Had a few goes at getting pics of the damage, it was hard because the car is so shiny and the outside light kept reflecting off it. You can just make out the big graze on the door. Looks nasty in real life though.

W4272.jpg

W4271.jpg

W4273.jpg

I remember seeing it crash into that thing and going 'WTF' they never even mentioned it
I guess it's just one of those things that happens for Aussies

looks like they didn't even try that hard to hide it before giving the car back to Holden :lol:

It seems that car has been doing the rounds of Holden dealers:

http://forums.eurocca.net/showpost.php?p=464234&postcount=188

Yeah i assumed it might have. They probably kept it up here after the studio filming was done and displayed it at the different dealers. Same thing happened when the Coupe4 came out, we had the HSV press car from Victoria for a week in the showroom.
No one is allowed to drive it though. :(
They recorded the odometer reading when they dropped it off. Plenty of people want to take it for a joyride.

Im not having a go at you (rather the others moaning about TGAU doing damage on the other forum linked to above, and as i dont have an account there the rant can go here)

But seriously, what would you expect to happen when a car is taken around a track, more rubber sticks to the tires or something?

As for the scratches who really cares, say it costs holden $3000 fo fix everything + tires , that's some really really cheap advertising for them.

Besides, do you really thing Holden expect to get the car back in as new condition.

Question, whats the going price of a W427?

The salesman at work told me $180g on road including luxury car tax etc.
Bit steep in my eyes.
I agree about the link above though, why bother whinging about a little scratch and some bald tyres? Holden's own race driver Garth Tander made a big mess of the front bar on the white W427 test car when he smacked a tire wall at Oran Park.
I just thought it was cool seeing a car that was on the telly in our workshop, and seeing the evidence of Steve's fun on the door.