School project on hybrids

Hybreds are inherently not the solution to the transportation issue. When electric mode you are lugging around a heavy internal combustion engine plus all its liquids. When in motor mode you are lugging a heavy battery. The vehicle itself is too complex really and hence expensive to build and service, as well as limiting carrying space.

No this is the wrong way to go IMHO. Until you can generate and transmit electrical power cleanly and electrical solution relying on "plugging in" is not on either.

I like solar cells myself that should charge up "clean batteries" but there are no clean batteries and the cells are way too expensive presently - problem in non sunny countries too./ :(

Part of research is asking those in the know is it not? Also, in case you haven't noticed, no one is giving him straight up answers that he could just copy/paste into his paper, we are mostly giving him what he should discuss. One person cannot possibly think of everything so we may point out an area that he has not thought of... That's hardly doing research for him...

That's a good point.

In that case he might want to consider working in hydraulic hybrids (used by UPS delivery trucks) in addition to gas-electric hybrids.

A starting point: http://www.autoblog.com/2006/06/26/epa-unveils-hydraulic-hybrid-ups-delivery-truck/

Just remembered: 3 or 4 months ago Clarkson had a great piece in the Top Gear magazine about how he views hybrids as more of a "band aid" than a true solution. Look that up for ideas.

That's a good point.

In that case he might want to consider working in hydraulic hybrids (used by UPS delivery trucks) in addition to gas-electric hybrids.

A starting point: http://www.autoblog.com/2006/06/26/epa-unveils-hydraulic-hybrid-ups-delivery-truck/

From the EPA release:

"Because of the added weight of the tanks used to store pressurized fluid in the system, the best application may be in heavy-duty trucks that inch their way through urban stop-and-go driving."

So if you spend 8 hours a day stopping and starting every 30 feet, that system is for you. If not, then the weight is prohibitive.

In addition, the local UPS mechanics tell me the system likes to leak and requires constant maintenance.

It should also be noted that the last anyone heard of this program (i.e., press releases) was around October of 2008. If it was even moderately successful, the greenies would have been bouncing off the ceiling screaming for it to be mandated. Instead, there's been nothing but crickets and no announcements of 'it saved us X dollars last year' because it hasn't.

Last edited:
That's a good point.

From the EPA release:

So if you spend 8 hours a day stopping and starting every 30 feet, that system is for you. If not, then the weight is prohibitive.

In addition, the local UPS mechanics tell me the system likes to leak and requires constant maintenance.

It should also be noted that the last anyone heard of this program (i.e., press releases) was around October of 2008. If it was even moderately successful, the greenies would have been bouncing off the ceiling screaming for it to be mandated. Instead, there's been nothing but crickets and no announcements of 'it saved us X dollars last year' because it hasn't.

I'll look into that, thanks.

Just remembered: 3 or 4 months ago Clarkson had a great piece in the Top Gear magazine about how he views hybrids as more of a "band aid" than a true solution. Look that up for ideas.

I remember that as well, I'm looking around for it.

I actually wrote a paper a few months back on the exact same subject. One of the most important points to note is the environmental damage that is done to the Sudbury from the nickel mining that goes on there. As of now, battery technology lacks the capacity that is needed to achieve the range of petrol or diesel powered cars. Also, it is important to note that subtle modifications to a vehicle (tires with less rolling resistant tires, aerodynamic tweaks, ECU tweaking, etc) can allow a vehicle to achieve better gas mileage at a substantially lower price. Hope that helps.