Science

I have officially discovered how to create anti gravity!

Anti-gravity.gif

All lot of physics, engineering, et. al going on here. Anyone interested in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry/Biophysics?

That's my field of learning and stuff, so I could totally nerd out on some shit if anyone wanted a lit review or explanation of anything.

Bachelor's degree in Biology here.:wave:
I know a few other members that have jobs and education in molecular biology and other related fields.

I have a degree in genetics and currently work in biotech. I'd be happy to talk about the biological sciences. :)

Topic?

I have a degree in genetics and currently work in biotech. I'd be happy to talk about the biological sciences. :)

Topic?
Ohh not much, I was just wondering specifically what fields everyone was in?

I did my work with HDAC (histone deacetylase) regulation of the NF-kB in my undergrad, and but am out of it till I get finish my Masters in Public Health. Oncogene regulation is my main area of interest so I've been applying to a crapload of MSTP schools, with the dream of being a research oncologist.

I didn't have a particular focus as an undergrad, although I did work on a genome project which sequenced Burkholderia cepacia, a bacteriophage. My first job after university was in tuberculosis drug design, with our lab's focus being on protein purification and crystallization. Since then I've moved on to industrial manufacturing, and now work for a company specializing in the isolation and analysis of nucleic acids, especially RNA. So, quite a wide variety of experience, I guess.

So, uh, did I ever tell you kids about the time I met Bill Nye the Motherfuckin' Science Guy?

I have also had the same honor!

n1214812_43196530_7183.jpg

This was in 12th grade.

Already having the notion that he is the awesomeness of awesomeitude, when I met him it raised his awesomeness level to that of portal and a resurrected Gandhi with machine guns.

Last edited:
:lol:

As I said in your +rep, I wish I was that tall.

New Scientist said:
Can you teach yourself synaesthesia?
16:03 12 July 2010 by Linda Geddes
dn19163-1_300.jpg

A form of synaesthesia in which people experience letters or numbers in colour may be trainable. The discovery could shed new light on how such traits develop.

Synaesthesia is thought to have a genetic component, but some people have reported synaesthetic experiences following hypnosis, so Olympia Colizoli at the University of Amsterdam in the Netherlands, and colleagues, wondered if it might also be possible to acquire synaesthesia through training.

To test the idea, they gave seven volunteers a novel to read in which certain letters were always written in red, green, blue or orange (see picture). Before and after reading the book, the volunteers took a "synaesthetic crowding" test, in which they identified the middle letter of a grid of black letters which were quickly flashed onto a screen. Synaesthetes perform better on the test when a letter they experience in colour is the target letter.

The volunteers performed significantly better on this test after training compared with people who read the novel in black and white.

The findings suggest that natural synaesthesia may develop as a result of childhood experiences as well as genetics, says Colizoli, who presented the findings at the Forum of European Neuroscience in Amsterdam last week.

Interesting, because I've always had the theory that everyone had a little bit of synaesthesia in them. For example, I always associate the number 3 with green. The brain works by association, so it would make logical sense that synaesthesics are perhaps more sensitive to these associations than others.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, I'm not an expert in anything. I do however have a passing interest in science and sciency stuff like this.

Reactions: LP
I don't think everyone has synesthesia. I'm pretty sure I don't. No numbers, letters, words, or tones have colors for me. I still think it's pretty fascinating.

There's decent evidence linking tonal synesthesia and perfect pitch. It makes sense, when you consider it. If high A is always, say, red, you know when you've reached it. Many people think most of the great composers had tonal synesthesia. There's even a belief that the blues are called the blues because many people associate the notes common to blues songs with blue colors.

I remember the synaesthesia being a lot more prominent when I was younger. It wasn't proper synaesthesia, but there was some there, particularly with numbers. Nowadays, I don't really make these associations any more. When I said I always associate the number 3 with green, what I meant is I used to and still do a very, very, very tiny bit, probably not at all if I'm honest with myself. I always associated 7 with yellow too, which I don't do now. I think synaesthesia fades with experience. I found out about snyaesthesia at an early age, so at the time I thought "hey, I do that a little bit!" Maybe I remember it because of that.

Shameless plug: this article is about a product launched by my company (Life Technologies) and the company that split off from my business when it was acquired by Applied Biosystems 4 years ago (Asuragen).

Asuragen and Life Technologies Launch CE-Marked BCR/ABL1 Quant Leukemia Test in Europe

Legal disclaimer: I'm not an official spokesperson, obviously, and do not represent Life Tech's position on any matter. But it's still a pretty cool place to work. ;)

So, uh, did I ever tell you kids about the time I met Bill Nye the Motherfuckin' Science Guy?

Did you threw yourself into the ground while shouting ?I AM NOT WORTHY??

I wish I could understand much of this thread but sadly my intelect is not quite up to par with you people, perhaps i should crack a book more often.

http://img822.imageshack.**/img822/2662/drinsano2.jpg