Screen recording software?

awdrifter

I need to record some video from a streaming site, there's no way to capture the stream. I've try CamStudio but that program records at very low framerate even after I set it to record at 25fps. Are there any other programs out there that can do this? Thanks.

If you have a recent nvidia graphics card, they come with a thing called shadowplay.

Another vote for shadowplay, had good results for it. There's a check box in the settings somewhere to record the desktop, which should include any full screen video.

OBS is a very good contender too. It's meant to be a streaming service for twitch, but it records as well and doesn't need to stream. It's more resource intensive than shadowplay, though.

What is the most important factor in using shadow play successfully, all else being equal? A higher-end GPU, stronger processor, more RAM, or having it write to an SSD?

You need a graphics card that supports it as it's done on the hardware side. The graphics card does the capture and encoding so the processor doesn't really come into play and it can do it up to 100 mbps, so you don't really need an SSD either.

Messing around with Shadownplay today and was surprised by something, tin-foil hat spoilered:

Shadowplay will allow you to record video from streaming websites, surely Nvidia overlooked that?! It's like a free gift to the pirating community.

OBS lets you do that too. Screen recording software just captures the screen, regardless of what's playing.

I know I shouldn't be surprised, I just would've expected a compnay like Nvidia to try and nobble it.