Spoilers: Season 1 spoilers

That's one of the things that annoys me. The BBC doesn't own the title 'The News". It's a generic title in the public domain and was used long before the BBC appeared on the scene. Their lawyers, perhaps to justify their existence, have spooked TGT with bad advice they are afraid to use things that don't belong to the Beeb.

Bear in mind that the sole source we have re TGT's legal department are the presenters and Andy Wilman, all of whom are more than capable of pulling people's legs with exaggerations. I'm sure the lawyers weren't quite that extreme, but their attitudes are worth some fish-story-size commentary.

The Stig is intellectual property owned by the BBC, along with the The Cool Wall, SIARPC and Dunsfold.

No way. Can anyone confirm this? Specifically about "The Stig". Not sure if this sort of thing is public record in the UK or not...

On another note, it has been a long LONG time since I remember the cool wall. I almost forgot about it.

They don't -- it's a lease arrangement. Thing is, Dunsfold has become so identified with BBCTG that no other TV production can take it over for the purpose of speed-testing cars for broadcast. So no Fifth Gear at Dunsfold.

But what when the lease contract expires??? after that, the owner can lease it to anyone, and they could do what ever they want there, and the BBC can`t do anything about it......IMO

Cheers.

But what when the lease contract expires??? after that, the owner can lease it to anyone, and they could do what ever they want there, and the BBC can`t do anything about it......IMO.
As JC has mentioned, it's hard to find a suitable airfield/track where you can also make lots of noise. I guess the property owners near the old Dunsfold track can't wait for the BBC lease to expire so they can renegotiate a quieter agreement.

Bear in mind that the sole source we have re TGT's legal department are the presenters and Andy Wilman, all of whom are more than capable of pulling people's legs with exaggerations. I'm sure the lawyers weren't quite that extreme, but their attitudes are worth some fish-story-size commentary.
THIS. I find it funny how people are willing to take anything, no matter how ridiculous, at face value if it only fits their anti-BBC bias. While I certainly can believe that not the name "The Stig" itself, but the whole concept of a silent racing driver blah blah might be copyrighted, you sure as hell can't copyright "The News".

Additionally, there's a much more pressing issue here, which is a creative one: The Grand Tour is and has to be a different beast from Top Gear, which still will run on the Beeb, with the Dunsfold track, The Stig, The News and everything. CHM(W) still have enough creative pride in them to not just do the same old stuff under a new name. They want change and they now got the budget to do anything they damn well please.

I just returned from the studio/tent filming in germany (which was great fun!). I'm not giving you any details since I think it wouldn't be fair to the GT-Team.
I have a more general remark though:
Don't get fooled into thinking The Grand Tour will be different to TopGear. It's pretty much the same. I mean yes, some of the original TG-Segments had to be ditched, and yes, I'm convinced that there are legal reasons for that. But most of the segments were replaced by some very similar ones. So don't expect a reinvention of the show. Not for the show in germany at least (which I think will be episode 7)

This video is quite old. I'm not sure how old exactly, but I think I've first seen this during the top gear era. So it's probably unrelated to the grand tour.

Except that's a segment from 2008 (12x02) where they took a Challenger, a Corvette and a CTS-V on a "factual" roadtrip...

[edit]
Ninja'd... :shakefist:

At least I provided the episode where that segment is from... :p
[/edit]

Last edited:
I just returned from the studio/tent filming in germany (which was great fun!). I'm not giving you any details since I think it wouldn't be fair to the GT-Team.
I have a more general remark though:
Don't get fooled into thinking The Grand Tour will be different to TopGear. It's pretty much the same. I mean yes, some of the original TG-Segments had to be ditched, and yes, I'm convinced that there are legal reasons for that. But most of the segments were replaced by some very similar ones. So don't expect a reinvention of the show. Not for the show in germany at least (which I think will be episode 7)
I thought it looked old, Jeremy doesn't look like that now:cool: Damn fake youtube accounts.:rolleyes:

I thought it looked old, Jeremy doesn't look like that now:cool: Damn fake youtube accounts.:rolleyes:

Same thing happened to me a few years back except it was a quote from fake FB accounts. It would rightly piss me off if I was famous and someone was using my exact name to garner views in videos that weren't mine either.

Speaking of ball washing bitches. (lawyers) I find it extremely hard to believe any of the BBC lawyers have been in contact since the 3 + 1 left Top Gear. If there were any lawyers involved it would probably be Amazon BWB's. (ball washing bitches)

So yeah it is all probably just hyperbole to get interest in the new show. Something that is also not new comparing TG to TGT. I never expected it to be that much different because it is the same 3 + 1. Especially the + 1 part. It is overall better than Chris Evans did, and GT will hopefully have more episodes. Unless the baboon decides to go Donkey Kong again.