Season 14 slid off track

Sure. I'm happy to tell them everything that I particularly thought was GREAT about the show. I'd do that all day long, and they can take that an build on it. I think they're also intelligent enough to know what might not be working for some viewers.
Understanding what people liked and what they didn't like is more complex than you think. Some people tend to be positive about everything, some people tend to be negative. Some segments stir up no opinions at all, which is probably worst, since you can only guess whether that's a good or a bad sign.

Ratings are pretty much the same. The thing is that people do things for the most different kind of reasons. Sometimes, a tiny bit will make one guy switch channels, while the bloke next door is hooked by the very same piece. Everyone tries to make a good product. But in the end, you just throw it out into a big black world, hoping that the echo will meet your expectations. For us, things are easy. We're not responsible for anything on Top Gear. We're on the receiving end. We watch the show and make up our minds. But for them, I'm sure it's damn difficult at times. It's always difficult when the burden of having to deliver is on your shoulders. When you're so involved in the matter that you can not see the wood for the trees. That happens easily when you make a product as complex and as successful as this.

Now, they are free to take the show in directions they want to take it. But if they feel like they need input, I am happy there is a thread like this, where - a few postings aside - people eloquently voice their honest opinion on things.

Last edited:
I was struck at how defensive the Mole post was about the Bolivia special. It seems they were really caught off guard with the latest torrent of criticism--I always got the impression they were really cocky before on the website. There were episodes in the past I thought were deeply flawed and the TG site would say things like "that episode was pretty great huh?" They seem to have acknowledged the criticism face to face now, which is good. The truth hurts. I bet the next series will take a very different course.

"And all of it is absolutely, genuinely as-it-happened stuff that?ll make you remember why you loved The Tall One, The Short One, and The Other One in the first place."

Almost desperation there!

I was struck at how defensive the Mole post was about the Bolivia special. It seems they were really caught off guard with the latest torrent of criticism--I always got the impression they were really cocky before on the website. There were episodes in the past I thought were deeply flawed and the TG site would say things like "that episode was pretty great huh?" They seem to have acknowledged the criticism face to face now, which is good. The truth hurts. I bet the next series will take a very different course.

"And all of it is absolutely, genuinely as-it-happened stuff that?ll make you remember why you loved The Tall One, The Short One, and The Other One in the first place."

Almost desperation there!

I think the Top Gear leadership is smart enough to take criticism from it's hardcore, Trekie-ish, fans with a grain of salt. You don't ask the Morris Marina Club how to build a good family car because they have can't see past their own nose. You need to have very well-rounded and broad thought processes to see the big picture and grow the show.

Yes. This.

I've gotten the impression that Andy Wilman et al genuinely want to know how their efforts are going over with people. I write, and sometimes I write for publication. I always, always, always have someone look over my words first. I'm grateful for their criticism. What makes perfect sense to me might not make perfect sense to my market, and something I find particularly well-written might fall flat to someone who doesn't live in my head. I believe the TG production team wants to get the same kind of feedback; the only difference is that they can't do advance screenings, so the only feedback they can get is that expressed after the material's been sent out into the world.

I already have enormous respect for the TG production team. If series 15 shows that they've taken the fans' (mostly) constructive criticism to heart, my esteem for them will go up several more notches.

Gullwing, if you're out there--it's late and I'm too tired to go looking for your "quit whining if you don't support it" post to quote, but listen: at least 90% of us in this thread are still avid fans, the exact people whose opinions TG wants to hear. It was the quality of the earlier seasons that hooked us. There's no harm in our trying gently to nudge them back into producing material that good.

Last edited:
I was going to post about this topic this morning. Nice to know I'm not alone in feeling that something about this new season just isn't right. I won't say it's horrible. There's nothing I can put my finger on that's outright terrbile, but the fact is the guests have been suprisingly dreary, the car reviews are an odd combination of season 13 crazy effects and season 3 factualness, and the group projects are mildly entertaining at best. My friend comes over to watch the new episodes, he fell asleep watching the first two of this season! The Lancia thing was the only thing I can point to so far and say yes that was awesome. The electric car thing had it's moments but the ending was so anti-climactic.

I get the feeling that the guys are either bored in making the show, they truly have run out of ideas, or have no desire to be as ambitious and vital as they were in previous season. Maybe this is the beginning of the end for Top Gear. I just hope if it is it doesn't end like this. It needs to go out on a high, as awesome as it ever was. I just went through and watched parts fo season 12 again today. I know think that that was the best season and if the show is not long for this world, I hope it's end can have the same feel as that.

Understanding what people liked and what they didn't like is more complex than you think. Some people tend to be positive about everything, some people tend to be negative. Some segments stir up no opinions at all, which is probably worst, since you can only guess whether that's a good or a bad sign.

Now, they are free to take the show in directions they want to take it. But if they feel like they need input, I am happy there is a thread like this, where - a few postings aside - people eloquently voice their honest opinion on things.

Exactly. Criticism in and of itself is not a bad thing. If offered constructively and clearly, it can serve as a helpful guide for the content creator to identify how their content is being consumed and received by various aspects of their audience.

And as you note, the significant majority of people in this thread are doing just that, which is why it's remained an interesting and rewarding thread to read and participate in.

^^Agree :)

I also think there's a world of difference between saying for example, "I thought the Geoff segment was weaker than the Romania trip" vs. saying, "This whole series has been shit and they're going to get cancelled if they don't pull their finger out." <_<<_<<_<

I also think there's a world of difference between saying for example, "I thought the Geoff segment was weaker than the Romania trip" vs. saying, "This whole series has been shit and they're going to get cancelled if they don't pull their finger out." <_<<_<<_<

Which none of us have said. Or, if anyone has, they're in a minority so small as to be completely insignificant. :p

Do please read the original post.:p

Having re-read your original post, I think we're talking at cross-purposes here.

You seem to be saying that we're just nitpicking and criticizing where we have no right to do so, and that if we don't like it, we should just stop watching and shut our mouths.

We're saying--well, most of us are--that because we love TG, we're hearing their pleas for feedback and giving it.

Ever had a significant other who needs an opinion on his/her outfit or appearance? You might say to them, "Hmmm. I think the brown sweater sets off your skin much better than this yellow one does," or "Your hair looks nice in a ponytail, but wearing it down really highlights your fine cheekbones." They ask because they genuinely want to know; you give them an answer which helps them look as good as they possibly can. And you love them no matter how they do their hair or what they end up wearing.

We're not so much nitpicking and criticizing as offering suggestions to help them look their best . . . which they're asking for. :D

I freely admit that I haven't slept in, oh, about 27 hours now and could very well be missing your entire point.

Seriously, the 14th season so far is just amateurish. The latest 14x04 is horrible. No entertainment value at the cost of many wrecked perfectly usable cars, especially the Renault Sport. I'm sure it didn't cost much, but still it could have been save for something else, or at least put up it for competition like how 5th gear did. This was the first time in a while that I skipped through the show the whole time. Wasn't interested in the content at all. All the episodes so far failed to impress me that Top Gear is a viable show in the future. I'm not surprise if TG is gonna get canned like FG soon unless they turn traction-control back on.

^^I meant read the original post in this thread. I don't find this helpful at all.

Look, I'm not saying I don't have opinions about the show. I do. I have episodes I love and some I'm less crazy about. But I choose to show my support for TG, not my criticisms. Reading through this thread, they've become tiresome beyond belief.

I really doubt Wilman is reading this thread saying, "Holy shit, dnats thinks this series sucks! We've got to do something!" Please. They give us what they've got. And I appreciate it.

It like when your mom busts ass in the kitchen all day to put xmas dinner on the table, and then you say, "Well, gee, mom, the turkey's a little dry and the dressing is the same as last year. Oh, and really you should make it look like you didn't have to work at it at all." Your mum's not going to be too keen...

Last edited:
Well, the opening post clearly was rubbish. That however didn't stop this thread from becoming a collection of well though-out opinions. The reason that people voice them doesn't mean they do not support the show. In fact, as I've been trying to explain, constructive criticism is a form of support.

Let's stick with your Xmas dinner as an example. Of course, it would be downright rude to your mom to plainly criticise the meal she prepared. However, not doing so at all could mean that the turkey will be just as dry next year, and the dressing will still be the same. Why? Because noone told her that it wasn't picture perfect. Of course, voicing criticism can be pretty harsh in the very moment, but after all, people can only do good work when they adjust their efforts to their yardstick once in a while. Taking away the yardstick might seem nice since they won't see that the product doesn't fit, but in the end, they unintentionally might drift away from their yard further and further, which can hardly be the goal.

"You must slide off track a bit further before repping the Interceptor again"
If this thread was just "Top Gear sux innit", it would have sunk without trace. Whether you value "rep" or not, some pretty heavy hitters (Wyvern MWF etc,)have contributed to this thread, because they love TG, they respect the work done by Jeremy, Andy, James and Richard, and they want the high standards to continue.

I expect Andy isn't reading this thread, but we do know at least some folks with the production at least breeze through now and then. They may be ignoring this thread because of the title, but if they are not, hopefully they're finding it worth the time to review and get some feedback from viewers both within the UK and abroad.

I doubt this thread will compel them to make material and dramatic changes to any plans they have for Series 15 and beyond, but if they were considering emphasizing one aspect of the show over the other, hopefully this provides some additional data points for them to weigh in that decision, along with their own official viewer surveys, viewing statistics, and other forums.

"You must slide off track a bit further before repping the Interceptor again"
If this thread was just "Top Gear sux innit", it would have sunk without trace. Whether you value "rep" or not, some pretty heavy hitters (Wyvern MWF etc,)have contributed to this thread, because they love TG, they respect the work done by Jeremy, Andy, James and Richard, and they want the high standards to continue.

Me a heavy hitter? I'm flattered if a little embarassed but thank you. It would appear 'though that what little reputation I have is spreading beyond these four walls........ I posted this on the TG site in response to the end of season special thread:

While I acknowledge that all shows need a script, TG of late and in particular this series has felt forced and contrived and the boys all appear to be doing it because they HAVE to rather than because they want to.

Think it?s about time for a Dr Who-style break with just a couple or so Specials next year so they can recharge the batteries and come up with some fresh ideas rather than simply re-hashing stuff they?ve done before (last episode a case in point ? nothing fresh or original in there at all!).

Take a break guys, you?ve earned it! All the best rock bands do it and the comeback album?s usually awesome!

and lower down got this in return:

Watch out every one, we have a self-important member (in every sense of the word) of Final Gear here. You lot are the cause for the whinging about Top Gear on the Internet.

If yours worked fine you be out instead of posting online and whinging all the time.

to which I would respond "Yeah, too fucking right you clown. Now bring it here and we'll see how well you can really argue a point!"

PS Good to see the likes of Mr Nice and Wyvern weighing into the public scrap as back up (and if you did also forgive me but it's late and I'm tired). I will plus rape your sorry internet butts as soon as I've finished my beer.

and lower down got this in return:

to which I would respond "Yeah, too fucking right you clown. Now bring it here and we'll see how well you can really argue a point!"

PS Good to see the likes of Mr Nice and Wyvern weighing into the public scrap as back up (and if you did also forgive me but it's late and I'm tired). I will plus rape your sorry internet butts as soon as I've finished my beer.
I was going to post something similar over there but than i saw your post and you put it far better than i could.