Season 14 slid off track

EDIT PS Lurk, old thing, we may get similar threads but in the past they've always been invaded and degraded by the "go and watch Fifth Gear" trolls. Most of us contributing to this particular thread really feel that this series is a let down and are having a grown-up discussion about our feelings. We'd love you to take part as you always have something intelligent to say, bit don't knock us for doing do if you don't feel like it.

It's a little hypocritical for you to be able to complain about something but not him. He has as much right to bitch about your bitching. :-D It's the way of the internet.

Reactions: LP
EDIT PS Lurk, old thing, we may get similar threads but in the past they've always been invaded and degraded by the "go and watch Fifth Gear" trolls. Most of us contributing to this particular thread really feel that this series is a let down and are having a grown-up discussion about our feelings. We'd love you to take part as you always have something intelligent to say, bit don't knock us for doing do if you don't feel like it.

Matt, old bean, I'm not a mod, so technically I can't force you to stop having the discussion. Nor do I want you guys to stop either. I was just putting out my own opinion about the thread itself.

I think it's presumptuous to be debating the decline of TG when we're in the middle of a season. You never know, it could pick up later on. Plus bad TG is better than frankly most of the shows on these days.

There were some bad episodes in past seasons which I normally skip these days on re-watch, and I'm sure at the time we may have said TG is boring/is on a decline during those times. At least we may have thought it.

I think it's best to pass judgment once the season has concluded and we get an overall rating for all the X episodes in it.

Just my 2 cents.

I thought it was very good and well rounded. Then again I loved season 2-7 the best just before the ultra epic things.

I still love the show. Like everyone else has said, Top Gear at its worst is much better than a lot of stuff at its best. My only complaint is that, while I know its scripted, lately they bits just seem to be really obviously scripted. Its just blatantly obvious where as, say season 12 and before, to the uninitiated, the show would seem to be real. The ice racing challenge and the youth's car challenge stick out in my mind. They just seemed.. forced.

If they did go over-budget, and if they are running out of material, maybe the plan is to relax and produce some shows that aren't as exciting as they have been. Then once they have time to do some properly epic stuff, people will say "wow, this is awesome" when they compare it to stuff now. It could be all about perceptions.

I do think we haven't seen the best stuff yet this series. The death road is coming up, after all. And they haven't done a cheap car challenge. Yes, those could be done wrong, but those two bits usually bring the biggest smiles to my face. Granted some people will complain, but the core of this show has always been three guys having fun with cars, be it new ones or cocking about in cheap-older ones. I really this this is just a lull.

I just slogged through all of these posts and find myself a bit "torn" to say the least.

I only got into Top Gear late last year, when I discovered a video of that Volvo 240 jumping caravans--which made me laugh until I fell off of my desk chair. Now, a year later, I still absolutely love it, even though I got into it during series 12.

I agree to some extent, and this past episode, especially the power test, wasn't nearly as good as it could have been. I was surprised they would have even tested any SUVs on the track--my view is that those sorts of things have little business being there and maybe TG could have picked something else for Jeremy to slide around in.

In any event, though, we're only about halfway through, and I still haven't lost hope--I've been largely impressed, and don't forget (I believe this has been mentioned, but I feel obligated to reiterate it) that Top Gear did get a budget cut this past year and we're likely seeing results of this. I didn't really detect this in series 13, but maybe if the economy improves, we can hope that the show gets a bit more funding and they spend it where they should.

Oh and they should try out some places in the Northeast part of the USA...probably a bit different than the Deep South...just sayin'

I was a bit disappointed too, then I realised a simple fact. It's not much that TG has changed, but it's me. I saw too many episodes to be still surprised.

The Airport vehicles race made me laugh, but it would have probably been much funnier had I not seen the people carrier and bus one already.

It's like watching a band live every single time the come into town: you might still sing the final ballad, but you may not cry anymore :)

I was a bit disappointed too, then I realised a simple fact. It's not much that TG has changed, but it's me. I saw too many episodes to be still surprised.

The Airport vehicles race made me laugh, but it would have probably been much funnier had I not seen the people carrier and bus one already.

It's like watching a band live every single time the come into town: you might still sing the final ballad, but you may not cry anymore :)

Righty here we go! For me Top Gear is still producing great television, the few problems seem to be that a lot of the idea's they come up with seem like they are more scripted than they used to be. Now for me, I don't think that they are more scripted than they ever were its simply that the three of them have become much more famous in recent years (especially Hammond) so they have less time to get together and properly work though things.

I, like many others, feel that they should focus more on car reviews and no so much on cocking about, now I feel that they are getting towards the right balance with this series. I think that the best way about going about car reviews might be giving each of them one normal car to review, then have each of them come up with their own test (ie, James goes with real world thing fuel economy etc, Hammond goes with speed, track performance and Jeremy goes with the extreme) in one segment.

I think that they are now beginning to find a good balance for things but at the end of the day there is only so much they can do on the silly challenge side before they run out of idea's and they begin to lose fans.

They'll probably know that this will happen, it has been mentioned many a time by the Top Gear crew that they will go back to just being a car programme, which I feel is where the series will eventually go. When this happens what they need is long term planning, as I have said previously the format is good, they just need the right mix of presenters and the show can run and run.

What they need to to do in the next few years is begin to introduce new hosts for the show. However they need to make sure they do not find copies of the current three, like many people out there I feel that there is it least one of the presenters I identify with, however whilst we all would like to think we could do at least an equal job presenting, the BBC need to find a new generation on presenters who have similar chemistry without simply being younger versions of the current hosts.

Top Gear will work in like any other programme, they will have high's and low's, they currently have a good format so all they need is a good influx of people to suggest idea's (and lets face it, we can give them idea's for free most of them time) and a good team to host the show.

With the right thinking Top Gear has a long future ahead of it, for those who are not enjoying the show like they used to, well there will be at least one show that you like, its the same for every type of Top Gear fan, some episode are great, some are (for you at least) boring.

(Quite possibly the longest thing I've ever posted! Enjoy!)

I do hope the Block is one of the guests on one of the remaining episodes. That would be great. :cool:

It's a little hypocritical for you to be able to complain about something but not him. He has as much right to bitch about your bitching. :-D It's the way of the internet.

The key word in bold there. I'm not bitching about anyone, in in fact if anything I was bigging him up as I respect his opinions however much they differ from mine. Feel free to start a "Let's Bitch about other FG members" thread if you like but I for one won't be visiting it any time soon ever! ;)

Matt, old bean, I'm not a mod, so technically I can't force you to stop having the discussion. Nor do I want you guys to stop either. I was just putting out my own opinion about the thread itself.

I think it's presumptuous to be debating the decline of TG when we're in the middle of a season. You never know, it could pick up later on. Plus bad TG is better than frankly most of the shows on these days.

There were some bad episodes in past seasons which I normally skip these days on re-watch, and I'm sure at the time we may have said TG is boring/is on a decline during those times. At least we may have thought it.

I think it's best to pass judgment once the season has concluded and we get an overall rating for all the X episodes in it.

Just my 2 cents.

You make a valid point as always, and there may be hope for this season yet. The last episode from what we know looks as if it could be totally full of win and apart from a couple of the track tests we don't know what else they might have up their sleeves.

If I can milk the rock band analogy a little bit more then TG is like your favourite band of all time. You buy all their albums year after year and love them out of loyalty as much as anything else, and even if they turn out one album that is complete shit apart from one or two tracks you will still listen to those tracks and it won't stop you buying the next album when that comes out either. However many great bands have burnt out and taken a break and/or gone off to do other projects and then come back better than ever and as has been suggested earlier in this thread perhaps that's what TG has to do to rediscover its sparkle and magic.

And to agree with so many above:
Yes, TG is to my mind and many others the best thing on television.
Yes, I will carry on watching it regardless.
But do I think it has been anything like the standard we have enjoyed previously? Not one bit of it.

^^Yer, wot he said ;)

You make a valid point as always, and there may be hope for this season yet. The last episode from what we know looks as if it could be totally full of win and apart from a couple of the track tests we don't know what else they might have up their sleeves.

If I can milk the rock band analogy a little bit more then TG is like your favourite band of all time. You buy all their albums year after year and love them out of loyalty as much as anything else, and even if they turn out one album that is complete shit apart from one or two tracks you will still listen to those tracks and it won't stop you buying the next album when that comes out either. However many great bands have burnt out and taken a break and/or gone off to do other projects and then come back better than ever and as has been suggested earlier in this thread perhaps that's what TG has to do to rediscover its sparkle and magic.

And to agree with so many above:
Yes, TG is to my mind and many others the best thing on television.
Yes, I will carry on watching it regardless.
But do I think it has been anything like the standard we have enjoyed previously? Not one bit of it.

Pleasure doing business witcha, and I think yours is about the best analogy we have for TG. I think it would be difficult for a newbie to come in and watch TG at this time. It's best suited for the hardcore fans that don't mind the few stinky episodes for the great ones with the hilarity, the challenges, the reviews and whatnot.

:cheers:

Pleasure doing business witcha, and I think yours is about the best analogy we have for TG. I think it would be difficult for a newbie to come in and watch TG at this time. It's best suited for the hardcore fans that don't mind the few stinky episodes for the great ones with the hilarity, the challenges, the reviews and whatnot.
:cheers:

Dare I disagree? Most newbies right now aren't quite jaded, if that's the right word, by having watched 10-odd series worth of great episodes (excluding the smattering of subpar episodes), so they can appreciate things that the hardcore fans are bored of having seen five times over, like the touring car drivers. I know people who laughed tears at the electric car episode, and they'd only started watching in series 13. They're not bored yet, and people like that are likely to become reliable fans for quite some time, even if they don't go into the archives and watch old episodes.

Reactions: MWF
Dare I disagree? Most newbies right now aren't quite jaded, if that's the right word, by having watched 10-odd series worth of great episodes (excluding the smattering of subpar episodes), so they can appreciate things that the hardcore fans are bored of having seen five times over, like the touring car drivers. I know people who laughed tears at the electric car episode, and they'd only started watching in series 13. They're not bored yet, and people like that are likely to become reliable fans for quite some time, even if they don't go into the archives and watch old episodes.

You are right as usual my friend. I didn't think about it in those terms.

What I assumed was that this influx of new members to the forum making threads about "tg sucks" comprised mostly of noobs who are experiencing tg for the first time. I think that was a bad call.

No offense to TG noobs.

I'm gonna wade into battle here on page six having made a cursory glance over the thread, and the Top Gear forum in general, so apologies in advance if I make a big hash of things. I just miss the epic films that were actually about the cars. The supercars to France film, or the Aston, Porsche and BMW on the Isle of Man film are two examples. There was cocking about, but it wasn't pushed to the forefront quite like it is these days. I like stupid films such as the caravan trip in Season Eight, but I just wish they didn't feel the need to fill every subsequent episode with something of that nature.

By Season Nine they were clearly out of ideas and had resorted to rehashing ideas we've seen in previous seasons. If they'd just concentrated on car reviews a little more, they could've saved those films for later and we'd still have a wonderful product to look foward to and ejnoy each season. I miss the quirky reviews such as James's race against the pidgeons in the Ford, or racing a marathon runner, etc. Hell, just take a damn car out on the roads instead of blasting sideways around that boring empty airfield. I havent even downloaded episodes 3 and 4 yet of Season 14, and I'm in no real hurry to. I will eventually, but when I can be bothered.

I'd like to see more of Clarkson presenting serious documentaries like the St Nazaire film. It'd be great to have a whole series of them, but that's for another thread at another time :p

Last edited:
I'm gonna wade into battle here on page six having made a cursory glance over the thread, and the Top Gear forum in general, so apologies in advance if I make a big hash of things. I just miss the epic films that were actually about the cars. The supercars to France film, or the Aston, Porsche and BMW on the Isle of Man film are two examples. There was cocking about, but it wasn't pushed to the forefront quite like it is these days. I like stupid films such as the caravan trip in Season Eight, but I just wish they didn't feel the need to fill every subsequent episode with something of that nature.

By Season Nine they were clearly out of ideas and had resorted to rehashing ideas we've seen in previous seasons. If they'd just concentrated on car reviews a little more, they could've saved those films for later and we'd still have a wonderful product to look foward to and ejnoy each season. I miss the quirky reviews such as James's race against the pidgeons in the Ford, or racing a marathon runner, etc. Hell, just take a damn car out on the roads instead of blasting sideways around that boring empty airfield. I havent even downloaded episodes 3 and 4 yet of Season 14, and I'm in no real hurry to. I will eventually, but when I can be bothered.another thread at another time :p

I got the same feeling and don't get me wrong I'm not a TG noob since I don't have 1000+ posts on this forum... Actually I convinced a lot of people and friends to watch TG and they all love it and are hooked just like me...
Tomorrow I'm off on my 4 week christmas and new-year vacation on the other side of the pond and this is the first time since I can't be bothered that I will kinda "miss" TG...

So this is maybe my last post for the year :) ... So have fun and hopefully TG gets better the next episodes/season

I couldn't find the blog where Andy Wilman apparently said they will go back to being a car programme, but thought these bits were interesting...
On 25/11/08 Andy wrote..(my bolding though)
I was having my usual trawl of the websites on Sunday night ? no, not those ones ? Final Gear, Top Gear, and I?ve started having a look at Hammond Heaven, just cos it still amazes me how any girl from this solar system can find those three attractive.
Interestingly, one of the Hammond Heaveners was wondering whether the spark still existed between the lads. It?s a good point, and the answer is yes it does, but it?s probably harder for that spark to shine than it was three years ago.
With Top Gear Live and all the other stuff they do, they are utterly knackered now, and that?s just the physical side. On top of that I suppose there?s the whole pressure of trying to deliver on a regular basis.

We do take Top Gear very very seriously, and given that it does get harder to come up with stuff, harder to surprise and delight, you quickly lose the innocence that we had when we set out to film, say, Crap Porsches or Pendine Sands.

The result of that is that sometimes we try too hard, but luckily our clever fans spot it and pull us up. It?s no accident that the films that go down the best are not necessarily the ones where everything explodes, but the ones where that innocence returns ? Bonneville in this run is a good example.

Then on 08/06/09 he wrote:

Obviously back in March when we were gearing up to film, I was moaning about how we?d dried up, how people will see through us this time, one-trick pony blah blah, and then one night, I had an epiphany, which happened not in a pentecostal church but at the O2 Arena.

Basically Hammond, May and I went to see AC/DC, and there they were, nine thousand years old, still making your ears bleed with the same pulverising ferocity they managed three decades ago, and you think to yourself, it doesn?t matter if your pony has one trick as long as it does that trick really, really well, and more importantly, it really cares every time it performs that trick. And immodestly, I can say to you all, we still really, really care about what we do.

The fire we have inside about giving you good telly burns as fiercely as it did in 2002. So sit back and enjoy Top Gear 13, the same old shit.

Although his comments about TG Live and TG3's outside projects were 2008, I think they apply this year too.

It's interesting he is really proud of the "Geoff" episode, yet for me it's the worst ep this year!

Last edited:
By Season Nine they were clearly out of ideas and had resorted to rehashing ideas we've seen in previous seasons. If they'd just concentrated on car reviews a little more, they could've saved those films for later and we'd still have a wonderful product to look foward to and ejnoy each season.

D'you know, I think that's why Series 9 is my least favourite of all the ones I've seen*?

That said, it was intentional, to a point.

Jeremy Clarkson said:
Here's the problem. When Richard Hammond went upside down last September, we had pretty much finished filming everything we needed for a nine-week run leading up to Christmas.

Oh, there were a few loose ends to finish off: the limos, for instance, had been bought and converted, but not tested at the track nor used to deliver celebrities to a glittering gala do. Then came the accident, the postponement and the news that only six programmes could be shoehorned into the slot we eventually used in January and February.

We had material for nine shows. But only six to show it. So what to leave in? What to leave out? Economics won the day.

It is hugely expensive to make triple-header events like the America run, the farming story and the limousine test. And it's fairly cheap to drive a manufacturer's test car round some corners on a quiet country road or on our track.

So if we were going to ditch anything, it'd be the cheaper stuff: the road tests. And if we were going to show anything, it'd be the big films featuring James, Richard and me.

The ones that need three crews, a few days on location and countless late nights at the edit. As a result, and quite by accident, the series that's just finished was full of us three cocking about, and almost completely devoid of anything you might fairly call 'a road test'.

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2007/05/stories/09/1.html

I know Jezza says it was an accident that Series 9 was mainly he and the other two arsing about, but -- in a weird way -- I wonder if it was, even if none of them would admit it, on purpose. Think about it. One of their own went upside down in a jet car and was quite badly injured -- something that proved to be a big catalyst for all the anti-TG morons to shout "End it now! You've gone too far!"; and so whilst Richard was recovering, Jeremy and Andy were fighting to make sure the fella had a show to come back to. In celebration of him getting better, what would be the thing to do? Go back to focusing on the cars, or direct the energy a bit more on the trio arsing about? As a big middle finger (or two fingers, if you're James) to all those naysayers, as a thank-you to those who stood by them (as it were), and to celebrate the fact Richard did recover, you go with the cocking about, then have a rethink after it's all said and done...after which time comes (IMO) the biggest bounce-back (long dramatic pause) in the world (Polar Special and Series 10).

A break may be the done thing after the roller coaster that Series 13 was and the one Series 14 has been so far, if only so the three of them have more time to focus on other projects, as well as their families. I'd love to see Jezza do another doc that has sod-all to do with cars. I'd love to see James get back together with Oz for another series (James mentioned in one of his latest appearances the idea of straying from drink and focusing on something historical or something to do with music...if done well, either-or could be very good). I'd love to see Richard do another project that lets him get really stuck into the subject matter (Should I Worry About... was a brilliant example of that, I thought, not to mention Engineering Connections and Blast Lab).

Episode 14x0607 is gonna have the
Lexus LFA and the Merc SLS AMG

FTFY.

* The earliest full series I've seen is Series 4. However, the earliest episode I've seen is 2x01. (Whoops!)

Last edited: