Season 14 slid off track

Except that that's /not/ how Iron Maiden started out. Ever hear of Tony Moore? Barry Purkis? Dennis Wilcock? No? How about Doug Sampson? Terry Wapram? Paul Day? Paul Cairns?
Yes. I am aware of all of those, including Barry Purkis' stage name. See that "rock family tree" in the liner notes of the quadruple-vinyl version of Best Of The Beast? I've had that since its release.

...you know what? Bollocks. I'm going to spoiler-protect the rest of this post because I should never have had to use the last half an hour of my life writing it (which I want back) and then anyone who doesn't want to read a post of non-TG-related guff doesn't have to, although what I originally wrote was TG-related.

Carry on.
(...) Their original artist stopped working with them in the early 2000s, too. This is not a problem Top Gear has shared -- the team has remained absolutely constant from 2003 onwards... there's high retention even among the crew and back office people (...) Oh, and you can't really fit Blaze Bayley into your analogy, can you? (etc etc etc)
I'm rather surprised that you've taken deathly seriously what was supposed to be a series of offhand remarks whereby TG has some resemblance to the career of Iron Maiden in which I've deliberately left out the really boring bits in an attempt to try and keep it short so as not to bore everyone rigid. On the other hand, yes, I have been aware for many years of the reputation of Iron Maiden's most hardcore fans to nitpick at absolutely everything surrounding them, including that time when Janick Gers dropped a coin in Blaze Bayley's beer one night on the Virtual XI tour and a fierce argument started whether it was a penny or a 2p, or whether Rod Smallwood's first name is Rodney or Roderick (Nicko seems to think it's both). I certainly wasn't expecting to find that here, though. It's a Top Gear board (or at least in the Top Gear section) and I was trying to keep on topic...

That's your opinion, one which is not shared by the many Iron Maiden fans out there that aren't moping about how it isn't the 80s anymore.
On the other hand, they have done a couple of tours that only covered their first seven albums (plus Fear Of The Dark which they'd be pilloried for leaving out). The reaction to the date of that tour that was last year's Wacken plus the groans that accompanied the announcement of "we'll have a new album in 2010 that'll be even more prog than A Matter Of Life And Death and you'll hear plenty of tracks off Dance Of Death on the arena-and-festival tour" (or words to that effect) suggests that there's at least 70,000 Germans who are on my side...

And now getting away from a discussion that is most likely boring everyone and which should never have happened in the first place...

If you don't understand this about Clarkson, then you're probably also the sort of person that thinks that George Carlin was a funny comedian because he could make funny faces and said "fuck" a lot on television.
Having been denied the presence of George Carlin on my TV screen and been further denied many clips of him on Youtube because I have to load a different operating system to use that site, I have never once seen him make any funny faces, nor have I ever tried to keep a tally of the number of times he says "fuck". If that was an attempt at a cheap insult, it didn't work.

I've been listening to Maiden since the 1980s, and I thought it was a horrid analogy.
It would be stretching it a bit to say I've been listening to Iron Maiden since the 1980s (although I liked what I heard circa 1988) but I can genuinely go back as far as 1994 (and I was watching Old TG before that) and I will continue to say my analogy was great.

and I'm not just getting this off Wikipedia; I've seen all these bands (he meant: Queensr?che, Fates Warning and Dream Theater) in concert, most of them more than once
The day I am subjected to Dream Theater in concert is the day a terrible, terrible wrath will be inflicted on the world. I've been forced to sit through Savatage three times already; DT will drive me over the edge.

Apologies to anyone I've bored with this (again) but I wasn't going to let all this go unanswered.

Incidentally, if anyone's wondering why there's been those occasions where I've deserted this board for months at a time, it wasn't because I was killed by my own 36-rasher bacon sandwich (as someone postulated), it's been because of those times when it's really started to grate that I've had to sit up defending my words at two in the morning when I'd rather be in bed.

And now, normal service in this thread will (hopefully) be resumed, for anything more that there might be to say.

You know, instead of complaining about everything from Dream Theater's music to your choice of operating system, you should try enjoying everything for what it is. If you're being dragged to a Britney Spears concert, think about all the hot women you'll see. Heck, if you're hanging on a cross, you should still find time to whistle.

Life is waaayyy too short to be a professional miserablist.

Last edited:
Me a heavy hitter? I'm flattered if a little embarassed but thank you. It would appear 'though that what little reputation I have is spreading beyond these four walls........ I posted this on the TG site in response to the end of season special thread:

and lower down got this in return:

to which I would respond "Yeah, too fucking right you clown. Now bring it here and we'll see how well you can really argue a point!"

PS Good to see the likes of Mr Nice and Wyvern weighing into the public scrap as back up (and if you did also forgive me but it's late and I'm tired). I will plus rape your sorry internet butts as soon as I've finished my beer.

Can I have a link please, to save me wading through pages of quasi-illiterate drivel from 12 year olds?
PS You owe it to me (the link I mean!), you missed my birthday :p

Last edited:
"You must slide off track a bit further before repping the Interceptor again"
If this thread was just "Top Gear sux innit", it would have sunk without trace. Whether you value "rep" or not, some pretty heavy hitters (Wyvern MWF etc,)have contributed to this thread, because they love TG, they respect the work done by Jeremy, Andy, James and Richard, and they want the high standards to continue.

Me, a heavy hitter? :blush:

PS Good to see the likes of Mr Nice and Wyvern weighing into the public scrap as back up (and if you did also forgive me but it's late and I'm tired). I will plus rape your sorry internet butts as soon as I've finished my beer.

It's good to have each other's backs on these things :D I just got so tired of all the negativity and bashing disguised as constructive criticism and felt you and Mr Nice had something worth saying. We rock, pretty much :D

Right now, the only way I see for them is to take a step back, do some self-analysing and see where they can change. And I hope they do, because I'm just afraid the current format is good enough for the average viewer, and they'll keep going like this for the upcoming seasons.

It's obvious the producers and crew and cast put their souls into this production. I cannot take that away from them.

But if I stop and take a look at how grueling it must be for Andy & Jezza and the nameless footsoldiers... Well, how many of you have worked a "death march" schedule for long periods of time? Even if you have the highest personal work ethic standards and you love what you are doing, pushing at 100% all the time eventually sucks the life out of you and burns you out. Eventually you are holding things still to a high standard, but going through the motions and your mind is wandering to either (a) do other things or (b) rest.

I submit this may be what's going on.

I don't know what the answer is. Take a short break. Don't do TG Live for a while. Change things up, work on a side project or create something new in the format. Get out of the office.

Last edited:
R8 vs Corvette: Fantastic review... BUT only complaint I have, it was a bit boring (for me atleast). Because they already tested both cars! The R8 V8 in episode 10x02 and jeremy tested the R8 V10 in his film Duel. The ZR-1 was tested by Jeremy in episode 12x02... So why not test some other great cars they didn't had on the show yet?

That was the Z06.

The Z06 is the "track model" with a 7.0L 500hp dry-sump NA motor and stiff springs that costs $70k.

The ZR1 is the "supercar model" with a supercharged smaller motor and magnetic shocks that costs $100k. Granted based on the same base car but different enough.

Oh and they should try out some places in the Northeast part of the USA...probably a bit different than the Deep South...just sayin'

The northeast doesn't fit the ClarksonBBC template of the US -- that we're all "rich apes" who drive on straight roads and think 1961 is "old". Why else would he avoid the greatest city in the world, in the heart of the former British colonies, who actually at least have a few centuries of history and some good driving roads?

Last edited:
As long as there are still interesting new cars, as long as there are still awesome roads and landscapes to film, as long as the three stay together as a team, as long as they don't get tired with cocking about, as long as they have new ideas for challenges, races, etc., Top Gear will remain on top. And I'm quite sure they won't run out of ideas so fast, now that they have the whole world as a playground.

I can understand the ones who complain. But often those complaints are a result of too high expectations. Personally I made the experience, that Top Gear episodes get better, the more you watch them. They are often like a good wine: You need to put them away for a while to let them ripen and settle down. Then watch again and you'll notice they have grown on you and you enjoy them more.

People who complain about the show not being as good anymore, as it used to me, are really saying: "I wish they did again, what they did back then", while at the same time accusing the show of being repetetive. Schizophrenia anyone? :?

Surely no one can seriously wish for the old times, when the most original ideas were how many cars you can jump over with some strange other vehicle or which is the fastest religion or the fastest political party :rolleyes:

Top Gear developed over time, it changed its layout. It's an entertainment show involving cars, which is in a steady state of flux. If that is overextending your perceptual skills, it's your problem.

Last edited:
That was the Z06.

The Z06 is the "track model" with a 7.0L 500hp dry-sump NA motor and stiff springs that costs $70k.

The ZR1 is the "supercar model" with a supercharged smaller motor and magnetic shocks that costs $100k. Granted based on the same base car but different enough.

Jezza did drive the ZR1 in 12x02. The Z06 was reviewed back in Series 8.

Jezza did drive the ZR1 in 12x02. The Z06 was reviewed back in Series 8.

Oops, I forgot about the Bonneville trip, but that didn't go around the track so may I be forgiven :boohoo:.

For what it's worth we had a friend over for dinner last night who one could honestly describe as a noveau TG fan. He's not really a petrolhead and like many admits to watching it for the entertainment and the falling down yet it was he who, having fiddled with my fridge magnet Cool Wall, asked if I thought the production values and ideas has really dropped off this series.

He's a real movie nut, and cited poor film and sound editing, worse than usual continuity and a general apathy in terms of the quality of the cinematography as well as a general feeling of malaise and lack of originality. When I mentioned the idea of a break next year with perhaps two or three specials he agreed it would be a good chance for all involved to recharge their batteries, come up with some new ideas and generally get their mojo back.

No idea, but monks historically have been pedantic virgin shutaways. I'll say no more.

Dammit!!!! Need to spread the psalms before singing any more at LCG forever and ever, Amen.

And sure the Monk wouldn't be the only pedantic virgin shutaway on here. Surprised he hasn't found his way here.

No idea, but monks historically have been pedantic virgin shutaways. I'll say no more.

:lol: My comment on twitter was if you're a verbose complainer you score a special mention :p

Seriously, the 14th season so far is just amateurish. The latest 14x04 is horrible. No entertainment value at the cost of many wrecked perfectly usable cars, especially the Renault Sport. I'm sure it didn't cost much, but still it could have been save for something else, or at least put up it for competition like how 5th gear did. This was the first time in a while that I skipped through the show the whole time. Wasn't interested in the content at all. All the episodes so far failed to impress me that Top Gear is a viable show in the future. I'm not surprise if TG is gonna get canned like FG soon unless they turn traction-control back on.

ftggoi.gif

Can't wait for next week's special. If it doesn't rescue the season for me, the average/overall score for the season is going to plummet.

Woot 2500th post! Wait... it was a negative post. Aww :(

Incidentally, if anyone's wondering why there's been those occasions where I've deserted this board for months at a time...it's been because of those times when it's really started to grate that I've had to sit up defending my words at two in the morning when I'd rather be in bed.

One way to solve that; just avoid the Top Gear section! :)

C'mon and hang out in any section but this one, my friend.

Can I make an analogy/anecdote RE:Series 14 prior to Bolivia?

I used to have two Cats called Snooky and Possey, but they went to heaven a while back.

Possey died from kidney failure and we nursed her til her last breath. She was 17.

Snooky was put down when we saw his back legs were going and we were about go through a heatwave. He was 20.

A year later, we got two new cats, Claude and Chloe, and we adore them so much. Maybe not as good as our last cats, but still great fun.

Now, as you can see, TG has two options in the not too distant future. (We have obviously established that they need a well deserved break next year)

1. You can go on and on and die a horrible painful death, but we'll be still there. 2. You can put yourself out of your misery by giving up the fight but with your dignity still in tact because you know it's a losing battle and it's because you know we care.

And then eventually, something new will come along and replace but won't be good as the original but still something to please us.

I think I made a bollocks out of that analogy but I hope people get what I mean about TG. Or put it this way: People change, shit happens, life goes on.

So what we've proved tonight is this. If you don't like Top Gear any more, get two new cats.

And on that bombshell........

Opens new browser window to lastminute.com for a cheap seat on the next bus to hell.

Last edited: