Season 14 slid off track

The way he explained, that the V8 Volvo estate was actually a good car (don't remeber the episode, but it went something like this "You look like you're not interested in cars, while you own quite a good and fast one. That is cool.") was brilliant.

The Volvo actually doesn't have a V8, it has a 2.4 Inline 5 cylinder Turbocharged engine...

(Just a reminder that you are on a car forum indeed :))

On topic - if I didn't like cars, I would never watch Top Gear. It just isn't funny. I only find it funny for the car-related jokes. If I didn't like cars, the humor of the show will be gone and it will be just three guys acting like idiots, being funny in a way so obvious that it actually hurts to watch.
Are there at all people who watch Top Gear as a comedy show on a Sunday night, who are not interested in cars? I don't think so...you have to like cars at least a little, in order to watch Top Gear.

I've been watching Top gear since the 2nd or the 3rd season.
It used to be my favorite show.

I don't know exactly when it started, but I find myself skipping through the show more and more.

For example the typical Clarkson "test".
Never on the road anymore, cause all the road-money goes into those gimmicky challenges.
So, it's just going around in circles on the airfield.
And every test is the same.

Talking about the car a little, and then something like "you might wonder why you should buy this car, well, watch this"...
Tire squealing, tire squealing, guitar chords, flying by the camera, tyre squealing, flying, flying, flying, squealing, squealing, flying, squealing...

Slowing down, a few words, end of test. Duh!!!
That doesn't tell me anything about a car.
With the right camera shots and angles, the same footage could be produced using a Fiat Panda!

Talking about camera shots.
The show was always known for a certain look, like those shadows/filters on the top, that make it look dramatic.
It used to be just a slight touch, to create a certain mood. And it worked. Then it got more, and more, and more.
These days, every shot has to look like a scene from "Lord of the Rings". It's terrible.
Soon it's going to be Clarkwain, Maydalf, and Smeagmond.
I can't wait for the next test of some Korean clunker, accompanied by "Oh Fortuna". That music hasn't been used on British television for at least...two days.
The producers need to lay off the special effects and filters, and whatever illegal substance might be involved, allegedly.

That "Noble" yesterday. Kit-Car Deluxe.
What could possibly be a reason not to buy this car?
Porsche? Sanity?

There used to be good road tests.
And there used to be good challenges.
Like the one with the DB9. Or the one with the Scaglietti, going to Switzerland. I must have watched the one with the Scaglietti at least 20 times.

As the show became bigger and popular, it moved towards the mainstream audience.
Everything has to be a big showy something, even if there isn't anything. It's about goofing around and pompous effects, not about cars.
The show has become the "Nintendo Wii" of car shows.
It's all pointless noodling around.
Cause any real road test of a car, or just a tiny detail too much, could scare away the masses.
The ones that would never watch Top Gear again if there was a 24h Simon Cowell channel.
The ones that would watch Simon Cowell sell T-Shirts.
The ones that don't care what they are watching, as long as it is a big, flashy, something.
That's the audience Top Gear caters to these days.

Yesterday while skipping through the show (again), I was contemplating the idea of a Top Gear spoof.
It had to be done by three British comedians.
Of course Hammond had to be played by a midget, and the other two had to have crazy hair like Phil Spector.
Just using the clich? the show has become. It would be a riot.

BTW, my critique is not about "not liking the three guys anymore".
"The News" was the only part of the show I watched completely.
And my opinion is not reinforced by some "current trend".
I used to come to this board only to check when the show will be on.
I was kind of surprised that other people have a problem too.
It could have been just me, being over the show or something.
The whole forum could have been full of "yesterdays show was the best, the guys at the art gallery, I never laughed so hard".
But apparently...

It's all blown out of proportion, and catering to a mainstream that doesn't know, and doesn't care...., as long as it's loud.
The one producer wrote in his blog that peoples critiques never made TV shows. Well, that's like his opinion.

Remember Michael Jackson's "History" album?
When it was released he had a giant statue made, the one on the cover of the CD.
The music sucked, but that statue...was big.

You know what, to keep things fresh it doesn't even have to be about cars anymore. The attraction never was cars, the attraction was making funny 'bloke TV' about topics that are interesting to blokes.

Call it something other than Top Gear if you must, but would anyone bet against the three of them being able to come up with the BEST EVER TV show on, say, fishing? Travel? They almost ventured into those realms covering 'camping', and the excellent Vietnam special. And you can fill in any other guy thing just the same. James May did it on wine: how much better would that show have been if it also featured Jezza and Hammond! (Both somewhat de-tuned to keep a modicum of solid information in there) France would never be the same afterwards.

So here's hoping that they will make shows on things other-than-cars. They'd be the best TV shows for men............ In The World.

Last edited:
Top gear this season is trying to hard. The electric car started good and then went bad by trying to hard. I mean all those sence that they try to pass the car and the Hammond saying lookout back wards??? whats that all about??? Please topgear keep it simple and we will still watch it. There are alot of new cars out which you haven't show, good back to races and car reviews.

Good evening............*takes a deep breath and tells everyone to leave the room* :p.

To be honest, I've liked every single Top Gear episode since the new format started. I appreciate every episode for what it is, eventhough I still rate some episodes over others. Although everything seems scripted to some of you guys (and yes I can tell too), I appreciate the time and effort that's been put in to draft up the idea's and jokes.

I know particular criticism has been made towards the whole 'destroy everything that James makes' thing, but personally I love it and think the joke will never get tired.

In Mr. Wilmans' mind however, the main thing which matters to him is the viewing figures, and considering they've been very stable this series, I doubt he is worried. I've seen remarks on here saying "Top Gear has died" blah blah blah, but with over 5mil viewers every week, I somewhat disagree. :).

I've probably just reiterated what many other FG guys have said in this thread, but ahhh well:)

You know what, to keep things fresh it doesn't even have to be about cars anymore. The attraction never was cars, the attraction was making funny 'bloke TV' about topics that are interesting to blokes.

...and you started watching Top Gear during which season? 13?

I also thought this series was kind of tame.

But I can understand what Andy is saying, in order to keep it interesting you have to innovate, you have to try new things - and if you do that, the results will vary.
I think that's a good thing, because you might get a tamer season now and again, but its not stagnating, and these guys learn from critique (My guess is they are their worst critics).

I agree the characters they play is a bit exaggerated, like a role being played instead of them being themselves.

Really the only thing I hate is when it looks like their passing something off as real but you know it's scripted just to create fake drama, like the airport flyover with James this season.
I really don't understand why they create obviously scripted drama when the magic of the show (at least for me) comes from the three being genuine and surprising.
Somehow the scripted parts feels like their lying to me in order to create drama, I know its scripted so it has the opposite effect.
Either that or I think it might be real, and I find out its scripted. That pisses me off.

Last edited:
The last episode was somehow a new low for me. The Noble review was indeed very nice but I'm getting sick and tired of testing cars on the track. It's like they can shoot all those great scenes only on the track instead of using some green hills, a snowy field, etc. Anybody remember the M3 CSL review? The CLK Black? The then-new XJ? Those were moments of greatness.
Also, James looked indeed sad at his mask-sculpture being destroyed and again I star wondering if he really is enjoying his other shows more than TG. He's not getting that much screen time or positive one for that matter. On his Toy Stories he looks truly happy.
Oh, and the Astra incident could have been spotted from the surface of the Moon itself.

The Volvo actually doesn't have a V8, it has a 2.4 Inline 5 cylinder Turbocharged engine...

(Just a reminder that you are on a car forum indeed :))

On topic - if I didn't like cars, I would never watch Top Gear. It just isn't funny. I only find it funny for the car-related jokes. If I didn't like cars, the humor of the show will be gone and it will be just three guys acting like idiots, being funny in a way so obvious that it actually hurts to watch.
Are there at all people who watch Top Gear as a comedy show on a Sunday night, who are not interested in cars? I don't think so...you have to like cars at least a little, in order to watch Top Gear.

You're right, I've mistaken its engine for the engine in the S80 (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/66825/volvo_s80.html)

And cars are not interesting to blokes? :blink:

Yes, they have somewhat focused on male genitalia this series and there was that one studio segment in Episode 5 of Series 2 where JC attempted to explain the Porsche 911 range "in basic English" using Amanda (C4), Vicky (C4S) and Sharon (Turbo) and there was the liquor run to France (?) Jeremy made to show how much booze you could store in the back of a Citroen MPV or something.

But they do seem to focus on cars a good bit...

You mean like a couple of slices of bread is edible, but a sandwich is better? Unless the sandwich is filled with broken glass and dead flies or something...

not quite. basically they tried but kinda failed. kinda failed because its them. anyone else would've been in the trash or going to...:)

What show have you been watching? It obviously isn't the same Top Gear I've been watching. Cars everywhere!

Call it something other than Top Gear if you must, but would anyone bet against the three of them being able to come up with the BEST EVER TV show on, say, fishing? Travel? They almost ventured into those realms covering 'camping', and the excellent Vietnam special. And you can fill in any other guy thing just the same. James May did it on wine: how much better would that show have been if it also featured Jezza and Hammond! (Both somewhat de-tuned to keep a modicum of solid information in there) France would never be the same afterwards.

I like Jezza and Hamster very much; but I don't think I'd want to see them do what Oz and James have done. Oz and James's three series work(ed) because you have one guy who is a wine/drinks expert (Oz) teaching a guy who doesn't know too much about it (James). It wouldn't work with two non-experts.

Meanwhile, while I loved the Vietnam special, the caravan holiday episode isn't very high on my "must-watch" list.

So here's hoping that they will make shows on things other-than-cars.

They have done stuff on things other than cars (albeit not as a unit). Try visiting the TG Hosts Shows section. :nod:

They'd be the best TV shows for men............ In The World.

And cars are not interesting to blokes? :blink:

Or even women? Hello?! Women (in general) like cars and Top Gear, too! Don't leave us out in the dust!

Yes, they have somewhat focused on male genitalia this series and there was that one studio segment in Episode 5 of Series 2 where JC attempted to explain the Porsche 911 range "in basic English" using Amanda (C4), Vicky (C4S) and Sharon (Turbo) and there was the liquor run to France (?) Jeremy made to show how much booze you could store in the back of a Citroen MPV or something.

But they do seem to focus on cars a good bit...

IIRC, Jezza bought the booze in Dover, then went across to France. I could be off, though. (I've seen the review but it's been a while since I've done so.)

I for one don't see what all the fuss is about on here!

14x01 - the trip to Romania was great, really enjoyed seeing a country that I haven't really seen much of and as always watching the boys cock about during the journey.
14x02 - I thought the electric car stuff was funny. Yes some of it was a bit contrived, but it's still funny and I enjoyed the episode
14x03 - James' caravan airship was brilliant! The Lancia film was also brilliant!
14x04 - Hammond and others crashing airport vehicles into eachother, priceless! That bit was hilarious. The uber-expensive SUVs were interesting and Clarkson's Twingo road test was great.
14x05 - the only actual bad episode I think I've ever seen of Top Gear, and I've seen them all. But hey, they tried something different. There were still some good moments in there but as a whole the art gallery bit didn't seem to work from my point of view. But that's only one episode out of 14 seasons that I actually haven't really enjoyed. That's a pretty damn good ratio if you ask me. So bravo to the entire Top Gear team on that. Even The Sopranos had a slightly off episode here or there. No show is or ever will be immune to that.

So yes they've done some better stuff in the past and we all can pretty much agree that the show is at its best during the big challenges and the big races and trips (such as the upcoming Bolivia episode I'm sure), but I for one see absolutely no reason at all to complain about the current state of Top Gear. Great job to everyone at the Top Gear team for continually putting out a great product!

I for one don't see what all the fuss is about on here!

14x01 - the trip to Romania was great, really enjoyed seeing a country that I haven't really seen much of and as always watching the boys cock about during the journey.
14x02 - I thought the electric car stuff was funny. Yes some of it was a bit contrived, but it's still funny and I enjoyed the episode
14x03 - James' caravan airship was brilliant! The Lancia film was also brilliant!
14x04 - Hammond and others crashing airport vehicles into eachother, priceless! That bit was hilarious. The uber-expensive SUVs were interesting and Clarkson's Twingo road test was great.
14x05 - the only actual bad episode I think I've ever seen of Top Gear, and I've seen them all. But hey, they tried something different. There were still some good moments in there but as a whole the art gallery bit didn't seem to work from my point of view. But that's only one episode out of 14 seasons that I actually haven't really enjoyed. That's a pretty damn good ratio if you ask me. So bravo to the entire Top Gear team on that. Even The Sopranos had a slightly off episode here or there. No show is or ever will be immune to that.

So yes they've done some better stuff in the past and we all can pretty much agree that the show is at its best during the big challenges and the big races and trips (such as the upcoming Bolivia episode I'm sure), but I for one see absolutely no reason at all to complain about the current state of Top Gear. Great job to everyone at the Top Gear team for continually putting out a great product!

Err....

n00b! Get him!!!!

While I have this thought in my head and it might open another chest of possbilities: Why is Top Gear Moving away from cars?

I read Andy's post and think he hasn't answered the critics!

Where is the real car action? They had a beautiful Lamborghini Balboni and all they did was drive it through some quite town. They didn't even give it to the Stig! What a waste of an exotic. I love the messing around and most of the content from this year but I want it mixed in with track and performance comparisons, getting massively sideways and shredding rubber. I re-watched Jeremy's review of the Porsche Carerra GT from a few years ago and time and time again I just love that review. That is real Top Gear... Watching that makes me really want to rob a bank and buy a super car! Do you reckon I'd have the same feelings if he drove it around a small town?