SEAT Ibiza in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Be careful with the US / Imperial Gallon conversion. They are not the same measure.

From Wiki:

• U.S. liquid gallon is legally defined as 231 cubic inches, and is equal to 3.785411784 litres (exactly) or about 0.13368 cubic feet. This is the most common definition of a gallon in the USA. The U.S. fluid ounce is defined as 1/128 of a U.S. gallon.
  • U.S. dry gallon is one-eighth of a U.S. Winchester bushel of 2150.42 cubic inches, thus 268.8025 cubic inches (exactly) or 4.40488377086 litres (exactly). The U.S. dry gallon is less commonly used.
  • Imperial (UK) gallon is legally defined as 4.54609 litres (~277.42 cu in), which is about 1.2 U.S. liquid gallons. This definition is used in the United Kingdom, and is based on the volume of 10 pounds of water at 62 ?F. (A U.S. liquid gallon weighs about 8.33 pounds at the same temperature.) The Imperial gallon is no longer legal, in the UK, for trade or public administration purposes, but it is used colloquially (and in advertising) for fuel consumption figures in miles per gallon.

^ Be careful with the US / Imperial Gallon conversion. They are not the same measure.

From Wiki:

• U.S. liquid gallon is legally defined as 231 cubic inches, and is equal to 3.785411784 litres (exactly) or about 0.13368 cubic feet. This is the most common definition of a gallon in the USA. The U.S. fluid ounce is defined as 1/128 of a U.S. gallon.
  • U.S. dry gallon is one-eighth of a U.S. Winchester bushel of 2150.42 cubic inches, thus 268.8025 cubic inches (exactly) or 4.40488377086 litres (exactly). The U.S. dry gallon is less commonly used.
  • Imperial (UK) gallon is legally defined as 4.54609 litres (~277.42 cu in), which is about 1.2 U.S. liquid gallons. This definition is used in the United Kingdom, and is based on the volume of 10 pounds of water at 62 ?F. (A U.S. liquid gallon weighs about 8.33 pounds at the same temperature.) The Imperial gallon is no longer legal, in the UK, for trade or public administration purposes, but it is used colloquially (and in advertising) for fuel consumption figures in miles per gallon.

So that means the US fuel consumption is even worse than i thought! :eek: If the UK gallon is 1.2 US gallons then for example if the most fuel efficient US focus does 37 US mpg then it does 30.8 UK mpg!

I never knew it was that bad! Thats one of The USA's more efficient cars

So that means the US fuel consumption is even worse than i thought! :eek: If the UK gallon is 1.2 US gallons then for example if the most fuel efficient US focus does 37 US mpg then it does 30.8 UK mpg!

I never knew it was that bad! Thats one of The USA's more efficient cars

You've got it backwards. US Gallons are smaller. The Focus gets roughly 44mpg in UK gallons.

To some extent we forget that then we hear figures like 74mpg for the Lupo diesel; it still gets great mileage but not as great as you'd think...more like 60mpg.

Steve

Okay, I swear I'm not on anything, but I was driving through Kennewick Washington, and I saw a SEAT that was about the size of a Golf. One question: buh? How did it get in the US with US license plates? I didn't have my camera on me, otherwise I'd've taken a picture.

A month or two ago someone was selling a Seat Ibiza in Houston on ebay...and it was cheap. Too bad I didn't have the $$$ or I would of bought it in a heartbeat. Was probably an import from Mexico.

You've got it backwards. US Gallons are smaller. The Focus gets roughly 44mpg in UK gallons.

To some extent we forget that then we hear figures like 74mpg for the Lupo diesel; it still gets great mileage but not as great as you'd think...more like 60mpg.

Steve

well thats true but 60 mpg is still fabtacular...I love those little super frugal cars

BMW is doing the same with their new cars, more power and less fuel used. The fact that they also accomplish less CO2 by this is an added bonus that they advertise as "we care about the planet".

Last summer I saw a yellow Ibiza in Kansas City, Kansas. It had Mexican plates, otherwise I would've been racking my brain trying to figure out how (or why :p) they got it here legally.

I've seen a Ford Ka twice around the DC area with diplomat plates. I'm guessing it must not be that expensive to import cars temporarily if you're a diplomat, otherwise why would anyone spend all the money for a Ford Ka?

I'm betting it's either a foreigner who brought car in, likely from Mexico.

They were temporarily allowed in through Motorex, a California company that crashed a bunch and appealed to the NHTSA that they could be modified to meet crash standards. Didn't last long, company went bankrupt and owner was jailed. Besides, after all the modifications to meet federal standards, they were (trying) to sell the cars in the $100,000 range. No way is a Skyline worth that, even a GTR34. After all, the cars were used, abused, and old...why would anyone drop that kinda cash for one?

Motorex couldn't convert them fast enough, partially because they were taking peoples money, but also because people really wanted them. Only the R34's were going for $80k, R32's could be had for under $40.

I've seen a Ford Ka twice around the DC area with diplomat plates. I'm guessing it must not be that expensive to import cars temporarily if you're a diplomat, otherwise why would anyone spend all the money for a Ford Ka?

Or their gub'ment pays the bill.

The closer you are to a border or consular sector, the better the chance of seeing something like a SEAT or such that's not normally imported to the US. I saw this at a traffic light near DFW Airport last year.

IMG_0955.JPG

It's a SEAT Cordoba. Note the Mexican plate.

yeah, there is a Renault Clio at the apartments at UTD on mexican plates. I really hope they do sell seats here though. They look great.

Hm. Well, if we're lucky, the Clio will go the way of all French cars - upside down and on fire.

yeah, there is a Renault Clio at the apartments at UTD on mexican plates. I really hope they do sell seats here though. They look great.

It there much of a different between regular Golfs and SEATs?

I don't think so. I wonder if you could turn a golf into a Seat with new body panels.

Yeah, they share the platforms.....

Seat Ibiza is a better looking Polo
Seat Leon is a better looking Golf
Seat Toledo is just RUBBISH :D

The closer you are to a border or consular sector, the better the chance of seeing something like a SEAT or such that's not normally imported to the US. I saw this at a traffic light near DFW Airport last year.

IMG_0955.JPG
WOW!! A Chevrolet Tahoe in the US!!! :lmao:

Steve

Thanks for fixing my error! :D 44mpg is good (although most American cars are way below that! :()

I've seen a few random Seats on the streets in the US, no idea how the owners got them registered or if they were semi-legal grey market jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.