Ownership Verified: Second Life: Peugeot 106 Rallye 1.3

Thanks! It will still take few weeks before I'll take it to regular(ish) use. I'll get much better pictures then, but it was great to get to drive it briefly! :)

So glad to see such a neat, fun little car getting the treatment it deserves. :thumbsup:

Center caps are ridiculously expensive, like 20 euros each. So FinalGear's resident Wheeler Dealer public found me a set for 12,50 or something. Awesome! The caps were apparently used, but apart from missing silver paint they were perfect.

P0tmwV2l.jpg

Test fit done!

ccML9jal.jpg

Raised edges were masked with a tape...

fCy6c4bl.jpg

Then the face was pushed against silver paint. I should've used glass instead of hard cardboard. Now I had to spray too much paint, and parts of it sprayed to the background. It's not too obvious and will probably wear away, so not a huge problem.

noszRHKl.jpg

I also did the front brakes. Discs were shot and pads had about 1mm left, so this couldn't have happened sooner. Strangely the calipers were almost perfect, almost like they had received overhaul in recent years. All sliding pins were in perfect condition, as were the brake hoses. But with only gently driven 150 000 kms on the clock I'm sure the car was on original discs and maybe second set of pads. Strange...

Anyway, it was a bit difficult to find new pads. Only sportier 106 models run ATE brakes in the front, all normal ones have Bendix system. So you can't find pads for 106 with ATE systems... unless you know the front brakes with vented discs are lifted straight from the Peugeot 306 parts bin. Great success!

jgV7Ny7l.jpg

Discs are supported on the hub by small screws. Thread goes through the hub, so last few millimeters are exposed to elements. This is the usual method of removing those screws. Hopefully grease will keep the new ones healthy.

Now it's almost finished. I'll have to bleed the brakes and find mud guards, then it's finished! :)

Looks great, I was happy to find the nabendeckel as affordably as I did :cool:

After last post I bled the brakes. Surprisingly all bleed nipples loosened up nicely. New set of Motul RBF600 should do the trick for a few years.

Then the project took a slight step backwards. Failed stone chip protection film installation ripped of paint from the rear wheel arch, so those had to be repainted. Otherwise it seems to work well, even if some minor issues have popped up. Fuel hose to fuel rail connection leaks few drops and rear window washer jet leaks water into tail gate, and last night the rev counter came back to life only after the interior had warmed up. I guess some connectors did corrode a bit when the car sat outside at the junkyard.

Today I finally had time to play with the Compomotive wheels I bought few years ago. According to 106rallyeforum.com my 195/50 R15 tires on 6 inch wheels should fit if the offset is between 12?17 mm. My wheels are ET22, so I borrowed 5mm spacers from Posmo for a trial fit.

67fVvyOh.jpg

Those spacers are universal type and center bore is way too large, so I had to use some heavy duty hardware to secure them in place.

jCAxfvxh.jpg

Wheels in place. Duct tape still holding!

fp50xXrh.jpg

It fits! Maybe 5mm space at normal ride height, so it should be enough even at full compression. Hopefully the Yokohama AD08Rs i'll be transferring from my MX-5 to the 106 are similar width as these amazing GT Radial Champiros are..

I hope to get this little thing properly back on the road in a week or so. I need to put it through quite a lot of kilometers to see if it really works, as I've got big plans for it this June.

I always hate universal spacers without matching center bore.. the odds are always in favor of ending up with imbalanced wheels and some annoying wheel wobble..

I always hate universal spacers without matching center bore.. the odds are always in favor of ending up with imbalanced wheels and some annoying wheel wobble..

I agree! Generally I don't even like the idea of spacers, but it's the only reasonable solution now. As those universal spacers were only 5mm thick, the wheels still centered themselves on the hub, but installation was total pain in the ass (hence the tape). However, I played safe and ordered proper T?V-approved Eibach spacers with matching specs yesterday. Now I still have to find longer bolts... :)

After last minute fuel thank change I got the Rallye up and running. Original fuel tank had a slight crack that was repaired. It was fine, but when I broke breather vent I had too many reasons to change the tank. Thanks to Anesthesia i found a new tank and installing it took only few hours thanks to MXM's help.

JpIbncil.jpg

The next day we met up with Posmo and Posambique and drove to French car club gathering. It was a good way to check whether the Rallye is in healthy condition.

ffpQWMll.jpg

Our cars were joined by pristine 205 GTi. We mostly spent time arguing what is the best color for Citro?n XM.

6TX5CvIl.jpg

Believe it or not, the speedometer reads km/h and the chosen gear is fifth. Highway cruiser it is not. :lol:

r4Iv58Ml.jpg

On the way back we had a nice coffee stop at Ahvenisto racetrack. Porsche Racing Club Finland had a race/track day, so the air was full of flat six howl. Only two Porsche enthusiasts tried to buy my 106. Luckily I'm the worst person ever to sell things.

The to-do list still has few issues: valve clearances need tightening, it clatters a lot when warm. I'm now at OEM spec, but the general opinion is to tighten that by 0,05mm. Gearbox whines a bit, so I'll replace the gearbox oil. It won't make it quiet, but at least I have a peace of mind. Cambelt is a bit too tight I guess, so I'll loosen it.

Oh, one more thing. I didn't expect this to be super efficient: despite running 4500 rpms on a highway it turned out 6,0 l/100km! Even after Posmo's rather dynamic B-road blasting it still delivered 7,0 l/100km, and he said he has never driven a car with full throttle so long :lol:. I guess there is a limit how much petrol you can pump through 1,3 engine.

Those little cars are so awesome. <3

What a wonderful thing this, I was lucky enough to get to drive it!

Fantastic.

Believe it or not, the speedometer reads km/h and the chosen gear is fifth. Highway cruiser it is not. :lol:

What is the top speed and can you run it into the limiter?

Some sources say it tops out at 180 km/h, others 190. In 5th gear it's about 30 km/h per 1000 rpms, so it should reach 190 km/h at 6500 rpms . Peak power is only reached at 7200 rpms, so it's should run out of power before kissing the limiter at about 7400 rpms.

No. I don't want to experience that. :lol:

If you've checked public's Polo thread, you might have noticed we took our 1300 cc cars all the way to Lithuania. In addition to me and public we had Posampique and Posmo as co-drivers, the former for public and latter for me. The reason to travel was local rally for journalists, a fantastic event which was now held for the 22nd time. I've previously taken part in a Subaru WRX STi and Mazda MX-5 ND, but now I wanted to take my own car. For most of us the event is just about having fun, there is genuine fight for victory between top drivers. Instead of cruising around, I wanted to have my own car, my own tires. In addition to 106 Rallye and Polo our group also had a Hyundai Ioniq with us.

We took morning ferry from Helsinki to Tallin. Then it was about 600 kilometers drive to Kaunas, the starting point of the event.

NdWZ2Hgl.jpg

Via Baltica is great way to travel, but slight delay was caused by a lorry sideways in the middle of the road. We had a quick chat with the guys driving a black Ford Fairlane, they were heading for car event in Ukraine.

wS89WBal.jpg

We had a proper eco run to Kaunas. Despite of revving about 4 000 rpms for most of the journey the Rallye delivered a surprising 5,66 l/100 km. Not bad at all!

A5m6Nlpl.jpg

Ov18BSIl.jpg

During short evening in Kaunas we were greeted by a beautiful sunset and great... um, local mexican food.

YmQ8Xjrl.jpg

Stickers make all cars look like serious business. We're still quite crap at attaching them, so no close up shots of our winkled race numbers.

iJB3BrNl.jpg

Local historic rally was held alongside our event. There was everything from 142 Volvo to Porsche 944, but these great Datsun Z models took my attention.

KQQvqdAl.jpg

Then the rally started. We were driving from Kaunas to West towards city of Palanga. Along the route we visited special stages held on handling tracks, karting places, empty parking lots. Few laps were also driven around the Nemuno ?iedas Circuit, small and bumpy race track near Kaunas.

fs5s8E2l.jpg

During the rally we didn't get much of a chance to take pictures, but for some reason public managed to keep Twitter on fire. Luckily there were couple of great photographers on the event, all obvious pictures here are taken by them. Huge thanks guys!

3o1NpXcl.jpg

The great thing in the event is the variety of cars. Our tamed 1300cc beasts were in Class I, which means under 1600cc. Class to has anything between 1600 cc and 2000 cc, Class III is beyond 2000cc. Naturally there is a multiplier for turbo cars etc. Anyway, entry list consists of hobby cars like my 106 Rallye to latest models. I think that Kia Rio beat us by quite some margin...

v3U03t3l.jpg

wcCKvU6l.jpg

It's no Range Rover, but quick lunch is still possible!

In the end we didn't win any prizes, but we had lots of fun. It was great to experience the 106 Rallye at it's limit, to drive it like it was designed to be driven. I used Compomotive MOs public had spotted on the web, and installed my worn Yokohama AD08R tires on them. Those made the 106 handle great: great feel, predictable behavior and oversteer always on demand. It's a superbly nimble little thing, and the revvy 1.3 liter engine suits the character really well. To make it properly quick it would need much more power, but now it makes you concentrate on your driving, because you can't come up with lost time. And best of them all our old cheap cars got us there and back with almost zero issues. I've now made a proper road trip with my car!

Oh, here is a short GIF of the 106 at the limit:

D9W0Kqm.gif

Last edited:
:thumbsup:

On the other hand, that's the most static GIF I have ever seen... :p

It was wonderful to see the 106 Rallye doing proper stuff. Out there on the circuits and courses, it was so very far removed from the moldy outcast it was just a couple short years ago. This is what it was designed to do!