Ownership Verified: Second Life: Peugeot 106 Rallye 1.3

That oversteer...how?

That oversteer...how?

IIRC in that instance it was a dab of handbrake, but it was quite happy to oversteer just when lifting off the throttle :) I was co-driving for Lastsoul, and and from my perspective it seemed like the only thing it really needed to perform incredibly well was 2 times the power it has. Currently it seems like it has maybe 80 horsepower or so? The suspension could easily handle loads from the semi-slick tires and overall it feels like a very balanced car.

Exactly. Worn camshaft and possibly restricting catalytic converter (I've got cheap aftermarket item at the moment) surely limit the power. That said, it won't be a rocket with full 100 hp either. To make good progress you need to keep the engine screaming, if you choose too long gear it's over.

While I understand people putting build up 1.6 16V engines from 106 GTi into Rallyes, I won't be doing that. It's meant to be underpowered, you have to work out the full potential of the chassis to make it fly. You won't catch lost seconds with raw power.

Like Posmo said, it does go sideways very easily. At full throttle it's very close to neutral, so even tiny throttle changes affect the balance. You choose the angle of attack by adjusting the amount and the speed which you lift off. Car starts to turn in, then you just wait for the desired angle before applying power. Strangest thing is, it doesn't feel like you're loosing control at all. Everything happens in slow motion. And thanks to low weight, it responds to your requests very willingly.

I've driven plenty of modern hot hatches, 308 GTis, Seat Leon Cupras, Civic Type Rs, Golf GTI Performances etc, but none of them have the playfulness of the 106. All of them are great and extremely quick cars when driven properly, but you have to demand oversteer from them. In the 106 it just seems to happen, it's so balanced.

With twice the power it would be really fast and agile. I guess it would then be called the Renaultsport Clio 182 :lol:

Handbrake explains it. :lol:
Didn't look like it in the gif.

This is just perfect, the car, the pics, the journey...

The 106 Rallye looked really good on the track.
It?s not exactly fast but always going full speed and maximum attack.

Yeah, it's a car which requires your commitment to perform. Not everybody's cup of tea, but certainly suits me :)

Chris Harris: Peugeot 205 Rallye vs Porsche 911 R

So mine isn't a 205, so perhaps somebody would like to swap it to a lesser Porsche. Perhaps a 991.2 GT3? :lol:

Also Davide Cironi did a great road test of the 106 Rallye 1.3. I agree with him totally, except the steering is pretty much spot on with semi slick tires. With normal road tires on original white steelies like on his test car it's just like he said.

Last edited:
I didn't see any third gear rolling burnouts, so I doubt. :lol:

I thought of this thread when the Davide Cironi video popped on my subscriptions list. :lol: