Sensor Dust Sucks

Black Z Eddie

Car(s)
'06 350Z
I swear to god, I hate this shit. What pisses me off is I change lens in a pretty clean area and fucking still! Goddamn sensor dust shit. I'm aware I can clean in Lightroom, but, it doesn't do a very good job a lot of times.

Sensor Dust Sucks by Black Z Eddie, on Flickr

I got so tried of babying the sensor, I just said...fuck it. I sprayed it and the mirror with the lens cleaning solution and wiped dry with microfiber cloth. Tested it...still works and is now clean.

/rant

Edit: I'm an idgiot, my cleaning didn't fix it. I originally tested it at f2.8 (duh :wall:). I re-tested at f22 and is totally still visible.

Last edited:
I got so tried of babying the sensor, I just said...fuck it. I sprayed it and the mirror with the lens cleaning solution and wiped dry with microfiber cloth. Tested it...still works and is now clean.

You're supposed to clean a sensor with appropriate sized sensor swabs, not just rub it with a microfiber cloth like you said, doing that incorrectly could damage it or simply introduce more dust and leave streaks.

I use Peter Gregg's Sensor Sweeps when needed, but I don't live in a dusty country so it isn't much of a problem. According to Peter's guide to using the Sensor Sweep, it's safe to mist up the sensor with your breath before cleaning it.

Sensor dust sucks. Clone brush doesn't.

But, holy mama, that is a substantial amount of sensor dust.

Hmmm... that's a lot less of a terrifying prospect than sensor swabs and E2, assuming it works.

Finally got the courage to do this. Overall, the Gel Stick did pretty damn good IMO. With a little more patience and persistence, no doubt the results would have been better. I'm thinking some of the stubborn spots are maybe from the translucent mirror.

Before Cleaning @ F22:

After Cleaning @ F22: not perfect, but, I normally don't stop down this far. Tried about 4 times and couldn't get the bottom left spots off.

After Cleaning @ F8: depending on exposure, the remaining spots are hard to see.