Series 22 Spoilers

Someone said a smart thing the other day, that ought of sensitivity to WWII veterans and survivors this logic could be blanket applied to the whole UK.

There is a motion going through Parliament to ban cameras from anywhere anybody has died from whatever cause since the dawn of time, in case a relative, current or as yet unborn, might be in the slightest way offended or otherwise caused emotional stress because someone takes a photo or video.

Shares in Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Samsung, Sony, Apple and a host of other camera and 'phone companies have plummeted at this news. Invest now before it gets blocked in the House of Lords* and you'll make a fortune.

*That bunch of old pervs wouldn't be deprived of their cameras for sure.

So Top Gear has to avoid staging accidents...anywhere...because they get reported on badly whether they do something intentionally or not.

Or Top Gear could, I don't know, stop staging scripted 'accidents' because they stopped being funny about the second time someone 'accidentally' hit James in a show. Then they would be less likely to be suspected of staging things for a dubious humor value when it's an actual accident.

So now we're down to *one* six-or-so episode season/series per year? :blink:

This year it appears so but Jeremy has said about 3 times now that S22 will have 13 episodes - so maybe 1 series but the same number of episodes. Not sure about that tactic myself. I think the 'keep 'em wanting more' tactic works quite well! Jeremy also appears to be suffering from short-term memory loss as filming for S22 started ages ago with the used car challenge that involved a visit to Japfest and Richard wingwalking.

Oh and there were several tweets today saying that the guys flew to St Petersburg today. There was a picture from the airport there. Must have been something Jeremy and Richard scoped out when they were there for TGL.

Last edited:
"Keep 'em wanting more" if extended out like Top Gear's been doing lately has a problem - eventually people give up when the wait is too long and move on to something else. That's why US marketers are dialing back or even abandoning the tactic entirely these days.

"Keep 'em wanting more" if extended out like Top Gear's been doing lately has a problem - eventually people give up when the wait is too long and move on to something else. That's why US marketers are dialing back or even abandoning the tactic entirely these days.

That's true as well. I have also wondered if the creation of a 13 part series is partly a sap to the overseas market - its an easier sell than a 6 or 7 ep one.

That's true as well. I have also wondered if the creation of a 13 part series is partly a sap to the overseas market - its an easier sell than a 6 or 7 ep one.

The other downside to the idea is that they've just made damn sure expectations are going to be sky high for this next series/season. With all this time to work on it, get it just right, etc., etc., they don't have any excuses for the next series. If they churn out another dog like S14, it won't be pretty.

The other downside to the idea is that they've just made damn sure expectations are going to be sky high for this next series/season. With all this time to work on it, get it just right, etc., etc., they don't have any excuses for the next series. If they churn out another dog like S14, it won't be pretty.

This worries me too...I have long thought that they do their best stuff when they are under pressure and churning stuff out fast - it's when they have time to sit back and think about things that they tend to over-complicate stuff and end up with Geoff and the Indian Special.

Top Gear filmed new episode in St-Petersburg today... It's incredible but I've seen one of Top Gear stuff unfortunatly not a James, Jeremy or Richard
2428_top_gear_in_russia.jpg

2428_top_gear_in_russia_img2.jpg

Pics taken here

This worries me too...I have long thought that they do their best stuff when they are under pressure and churning stuff out fast - it's when they have time to sit back and think about things that they tend to over-complicate stuff and end up with Geoff and the Indian Special.

Geoff was bearable, the India special was not bearable at all. :sick:

Reactions: MWF
It loooks like a race of some sort (Hammond on bike, James in an electric Renault, the Stig using underground Metro train). No idea of what Jeremy was using though, a boat probably.

Last edited:
hopefully not the hovervan

So Top Gear US gets ideas from Top Gear UK and Top Gear UK started to re-do it's own races with a hint of Top Gear Russia (which got the idea for it from Top Gear UK in the first place)?
This is bullshit.

Top Gear filmed new episode in St-Petersburg today... It's incredible but I've seen one of Top Gear stuff unfortunatly not a James, Jeremy or Richard
2428_top_gear_in_russia.jpg

2428_top_gear_in_russia_img2.jpg

Pics taken here

Wilman looks happy for a change.

And who's the skirt?

EDIT: And there's no point in moaning about them re-using their own ideas. Clarkson has been plagiarising himself for decades now and it's not stopping any time soon.

I prefer to look at this positively: James in an electric car should be interesting as he is always good value on stuff like that, the Moscow Metro is one of the most visually pleasing in the world and if Jezza really is going to be hooning around Red Square in a hovercraft could be worth the price of admission on its own.

Last edited:
EDIT: And there's no point in moaning about them re-using their own ideas. Clarkson has been plagiarising himself for decades now and it's not stopping any time soon.

I prefer to look at this positively: James in an electric car should be interesting as he is always good value on stuff like that, the Moscow Metro is one of the most visually pleasing in the world and if Jezza really is going to be hooning around Red Square in a hovercraft could be worth the price of admission on its own.
Dunno, I like when Clarkson does a review in the same style with newer generation of cars, but this one seems to me like a "copy & paste"... It just seems too much.
But I guess you're right. I always go back and forth in these situations.

[pedantic]And this is not Moscow, it's the northen capital (or the cultural capital) - Saint Petersburg. I've never been there, but I was told that it's a very beautiful city.[/pedantic]

EDIT:
The hovercraft thing might be interesting. Since St-Petersburg is close to the gulf, has a river and lots of canals through it, I guess they might try a short-cut like Hammon and May did in the SLR race. :dunno:

St-Petersburg-Tourist-map.mediumthumb.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my god. That would be massive! Just imagine the scenery...

Please, do this. Two part Christmas Special. With Russian communism-made cars? :D
It is not possible, the road of bones runs out somewhere in Siberia and you have to use a train - long way round about 14 April 2004 to 29 July 2004 - see links below.

"From 14 April 2004 to 29 July 2004, McGregor, Boorman, motorcycle riding cameraman Claudio von Planta and their support crew travelled from London to New York, via Western and Central Europe, Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Siberia and Canada, for a cumulative distance of 18,887 miles (30,396 km). The only sections of the trip not undertaken by motorcycle were 580 miles (930 km) by train in Siberia, which circumvented the Zilov Gap; a short impassable section towards the end of their Russian journey, which was undertaken by truck; and a 2,505-mile (4,031 km) flight from Magadan in eastern Russia to Anchorage, Alaska."

http://docuwiki.net/index.php?title=Long_Way_Round

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Way_Round

It is not possible, the road of bones runs out somewhere in Siberia and you have to use a train - long way round about 14 April 2004 to 29 July 2004 - see links below.

"From 14 April 2004 to 29 July 2004, McGregor, Boorman, motorcycle riding cameraman Claudio von Planta and their support crew travelled from London to New York, via Western and Central Europe, Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Siberia and Canada, for a cumulative distance of 18,887 miles (30,396 km). The only sections of the trip not undertaken by motorcycle were 580 miles (930 km) by train in Siberia, which circumvented the Zilov Gap; a short impassable section towards the end of their Russian journey, which was undertaken by truck; and a 2,505-mile (4,031 km) flight from Magadan in eastern Russia to Anchorage, Alaska."

http://docuwiki.net/index.php?title=Long_Way_Round

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Way_Round

The Zilov Gap has been closed, apparently.