Seriously contemplating going back to IE...

oliB

Hi!

I switched to firefox several months ago. Worked flawlessly then, but since a couple of weeks I'm having problems.

Firefox frequently freezes and/or crashes. Sometimes it won't let me type into search fields etc. on websites but instead opens it's own "search bar" at the bottom of the screen and so on and so forth.

Is there anything I can do? I'm using the latest version, thought that the last update might help, but it didn't it...

It's driving me nuts!

TIA
Oliver

jensked said:
Did you try completely uninstalling and reinstalling firefox?
No, not yet.

jensked said:
And did you maybe install some kind of add-on?
I have installed only one extension, Tab Mix Plus.

Keep in mind many extensions are 3rd party code, try getting rid of that extension, I've never heard of it and my firefox hasn't done what you describe.

also, make sure the extension is supposed to work with your version.

Tab Mix Plus can be a little unstable I've found.

i just saw that I'm using an outdated version of Tab Mix Plus. (0.2.5.x when there's already a 0.3.x.x. out) So I updated that and if it doesn't get better within the next couple of days, I'll uninstall it and then go from there.

Thanks! :)

I used to love IE because i didn't have to install it. I had no viruses or spyware cause i'm a caution interneter. But after playing with tab browsing for the past half a year, i can't survive without it now. Tab browsing is so much better. the only problem i have now is for some strange reason when i hit the button for ' then i get the search option open. It doesn't hapen all the time but it's annoying when i'm just typing up something in a form.

AxlxA said:
the only problem i have now is for some strange reason when i hit the button for ' then i get the search option open. It doesn't hapen all the time but it's annoying when i'm just typing up something in a form.

Whoa - I thought it was just me with that weird bug - the only way I can fix it when it happens is to open another program and type the ' character a few times, then switch back to Firefox and all's good :think:

But even with that, :firefox:

I would never "go back" to IE, yet I am having a weird bug the past month or so where copy/pasting from and into firefox works sometimes, but most of the time it doesn't (both with CTRL+C or V and the right click menu). It also seems that I'm not the only one who's experiencing this bug:
http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/141
http://berserk.org/2006/04/04/copy-or-cut-and-paste-firefox-bug/

So it seems to be fixed in the nightly Minefield relases (which don't support all my extensions/themes....argh), but the bug fix won't be released officially in Firefox till Firefox 1.8 :? just a little annoying.....espcially since I copy/paste almost constantly.....

@jeffy:
Recently, I got the copy&paste problem too! Forgot it in my first post, but it is really annoying.

Another thing which stopped working a couple of weeks ago:
The "Page Up", "Page Down" as well as the "Home" and "End" keys on my keyboard. When trying with IE, they still work, so it's gotta be Firefox that's causing the problem. Really annoying as well!
:(

There is one thing you're doing wrong and thats using firefox. Try Opera.

Hehe.. just what I was gonna suggest: Try Opera! I'm now running Beta 9 on my Windows box and on my iBook and it just goes. Best browser you can get IMO - Firefox is nice and I would use that before touching IE but I find Opera so superior in just so many ways...

Try it, you may just like norwegian style browsing ;)