Setting up a satellite dish with a DVB-S capable TV: How hard can it be???

idk

Car(s)
Hyundai i30N Performance
Hi @ all,

My parents decided, that they want a TV. There wasn't one in this house before, and I wouldn't need one. But my parents made it my task to chose the TV and the method of receiving the signal.

Well... after some research I decided, that I'll probably get this one: http://samsung.de/de/Privatkunden/TVHeimkino/Fernseher/LEDTV/ue40d6510/UE40D6510WSXZG/detail.aspx

and use a satellite dish (Astra 19,2?E) , because the cable providers here suck (only 6HD channels and rather expensive).

So I made some research in the Internet, how to set up a satellite dish. Okey, I understand the basic procedure. But people said, that the best way to set it up, is using the analog signal, because you can just move the dish around, until the image is good. The problem with the digital signal is obviously that there is no indication how good the orientation of the dish is. The signal is just "there" at one point. And when you move the dish, it's completely gone.

So yah, people wrote on the Internet, that satellite receivers have a menu, that shows the signal strenght. Or some receivers even had a few LED's that indicate the signal strength.

My question is now: Does a TV with an integrated DVB-S receiver also have such a menu, where you can set up the satellite dish? Or does the TV just assume, that you have an correctly set up dish available :cry:

The question may sound stupid for people who are familiar with that stuff, but I've honestly no idea. Or I'm just thinking too complicated again and it's no big deal at all.

How accurate does the orientation have to be? Is it like you move the dish a few seconds (i mean the measurement of angle) and it's gone, or is it more or less a few degrees tolerance? What confuses me is the name of the Satellite 19,2?E... 0.2? will be difficult to do, especially since you also have to set up the elevation angle.

Thx for your advice in advance.

PS: I don't know anyone who is using satellite, who I could ask.

Last edited: