Setting up webcam "surveilance"

avanti

Forum Addict
Car(s)
5 cars + 8 motorcycles
I am looking for the easiest way of doing the following;
  • set up a wifi webcam on my property
  • will not be connected to a computer
  • camera needs to upload a still picture every x minutes to a website and store the old pictures on a server.
There seems to be 100s of tutorials online but they are either very old or talk about nest cams and such that use apps, which I don't need.

I already have a server where I can host the pictures. All I want is a simple webpage that displays the current picture, with a possibility to access the older ones in an archive

This is in the middle of nowhere, no people around or privacy issues. All private property

Ah, yes IP camera is the correct term.

Seems like they can be had cheaply. Although I am willing to pay more to buy a brand name locally (EU), can't wait for stuff from China or the US.

The word surveillance is probably not correct to describe what I need, since a picture every 10 minutes is fine. So I don't need something that takes video or has infrared capabilities. One will be placed inside on a window sill facing a courtyard, the second one will be placed high up, outside.

They will only have power and wifi when they are in place, no Ethernet connection.

tbh i think i would try to set this up with an old android device, they're littering the place and there must be loads of apps that do what you want
and in worse case scenario, just have tasker do it...

I can stand watching Linus' videos but I got the gist from skipping through and a Pi is exactly what I would suggest.

Most IP cameras should be able to serve a still JPEG on a static URL. If nothing else, you can use a Raspberry Pi or something on the same LAN to periodically wget that jpeg and scp it to your server. This is assuming your server isn't on the same LAN as the cameras.