Several new SCI FI Shows in development

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
SCI FI Channel unveiled a new slate of programs in development, which includes shows from executive producers George Clooney, Darren Star and Mark Burnett. SCI FI made the announcement Jan. 12 at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour in Pasadena, Calif.

Diamond Age, based on Neal Stephenson's best-selling novel The Diamond Age: Or a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer, is a six-hour miniseries from Clooney and fellow executive producer Grant Heslov of Smokehouse Productions.

When a prominent member of society concludes that the futuristic civilization in which he lives is stifling creativity, he commissions an interactive book for his daughter that serves as a guide through a surreal alternate world. Stephenson will adapt his novel for the miniseries, the first time the Hugo and Nebula award winner has written for TV.

Also in development:

Avery House, produced by Burnett and Tagline Entertainment's Kelly Kulchak and Ron West and written by Dava Savel. The series deals with a bed and breakfast in which the innermost thoughts of both guests and owners miraculously come to life.

Untitled Darren Star/Mike Werb Project, a 90-minute action show from Sex and the City's Star and writer Werb. The show centers on four convicts who are given new identities and technologically enhanced bodies to join a covert wing of the government on a mission to battle threats from science run amok.

Revolution, from creators Ed Redlich (Without a Trace) and John Bellucci, is about a group of pioneers on a remote space colony who find themselves under siege by their homeland, Earth.

Middletown, from writers Coke Sams and Matt Lindahl, is a two-hour pilot about a small town in Middle America that becomes the final battlefield for Earth when nefarious aliens make the town their Ellis Island.

Johnny Midnight, from writer John Sullivan and executive producer Howard Deutch (The Replacements), is a two-hour pilot about a slacker who discovers that he has powers that can save the world from malevolent forces.

Starcrossed, from executive producers Jane Loughman and John G. Lenic, is a half-hour comedy behind the scenes of a long-running space opera, with the pilot written by David Hewlett (Stargate Atlantis).

Witch School is a "docusoap" about a school for aspiring conjurers.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=2&id=39447

A few of those sound interesting.

SCI FI Channel has green-lighted production on Flash Gordon, a series based on the popular comic-strip franchise, the channel announced Jan. 12 at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena, Calif.

Production on the 22 one-hour episodes begins in Canada early this year. The series, produced by Reunion Pictures, is slated to debut on SCI FI in July, with a broadcast syndication window to follow.

The series will be produced under an agreement between King Features Syndicate, which owns the rights to Flash Gordon, and Robert Halmi Sr. and Robert Halmi Jr. (The Legend of Earthsea).

The characters of Ming, Dale Arden and Dr. Hans Zarkov will be brought back for a contemporary retelling of the comic-strip story created in 1934 by Alex Raymond. The strip is still distributed internationally by King Features Syndicate.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=2&id=39489

SCI FI Channel has cast Tony Award winner Alan Cumming in its upcoming six-hour original miniseries tentatively titled Tin Man, an SF fantasy reimagining of The Wizard of Oz. The miniseries, from RHI Entertainment, is slated to begin production in Vancouver, B.C., this spring and premiere in December.

Cumming will play Glitch, one of a motley assortment of characters trapped in the Outer Zone, or O.Z. SCI FI made the announcement at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena, Calif., on Jan. 12.

SCI FI described Tin Man as "a sometimes psychedelic, often twisted and always outrageous take" on L. Frank Baum's classic fantasy tale. In it, a young woman is plucked from her humdrum life and thrust into the Outer Zone, a fantastical realm filled with wonder and oppressed by dark magic.

Her perilous journey begins on the fabled Old Road that leads to a wizard known as the Mystic Man. Along the way, she is joined by Glitch, an odd man missing half his brain; Raw, a quiet and powerful wolverine-like creature longing for inner courage; and Cain, a heroic former police officer (known in the O.Z. as a tin man) seeking vengeance for his scarred heart.

Tin Man will be executive-produced by Robert Halmi Sr. and Robert Halmi Jr. Co-writers Steven Long Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle (The Pretender) will also executive-produce.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=2&id=39446

I'm so excited I just made water in my pantaloons!

Some of those sound pretty good, but I am still a bit ticked over their taking SG-1 away from me.

So, exciting times for nerds?

Yes, yes it is. ;)

If some of you are wondering why SciFi has so many shows under development consider this, SciFi really only has two shows that are original programming, Battlestar Galactica and Stargate Atlantis and these are on the same day.

I'm so excited I just made water in my pantaloons!

Some of those sound pretty good, but I am still a bit ticked over their taking SG-1 away from me.

Well, news is that there is another Stargate themed show in development along with the few SG-1 tv movies that are being produced that will help to finish off the current story line. What the new show is about has not been released yet.

Looking forward to seeing how Flash Gordon goes. its been tried before in the '30's, '50's, '70's (animated), there was a movie in 1980, and apparently a failed attempt at a tv series in 1996. I've read a comic or two in the past and ive only seen clips of the show from the '30's (said to be the best by far) and it all looks very interesting. You can see where Star Trek got their inspiration from.

Yes, yes it is. ;)

If some of you are wondering why SciFi has so many shows under development consider this, SciFi really only has two shows that are original programming, Battlestar Galactica and Stargate Atlantis and these are on the same day.

What about Eureka?

I heard a rumor that they are doing something like a BSG spin-off called "Caprica"....which is set prior to the cylon attack.

You may be thinking of a project to do the story of the Pegasus from the BSG series. Rumor has it that it will be a "Pearl Harbor" like story, but without Ben Affleck to bollocks it up.

Yeah, Queen's theme song for Flash Gordon in the '80s is a catchy little number.

Looking forward to seeing how Flash Gordon goes. its been tried before in the '30's, '50's, '70's (animated), there was a movie in 1980, and apparently a failed attempt at a tv series in 1996. I've read a comic or two in the past and ive only seen clips of the show from the '30's (said to be the best by far) and it all looks very interesting. You can see where Star Trek got their inspiration from.

You're right, now that you mention it I remember reading they did the whole thing. I've never seen any Flash Gordon movies, just heard the song.

Here is news relating to the future of Stargate SG-1, Atlantis, and a third series.

On the new official Stargate site, Robert C. Cooper, Brad Wright, and others give lengthy interviews about where the Stargate franchise is headed. Included in the RCC and BW portions are many new spoilers for the remainder of Season 10 of SG-1, the SG-1 movies, and big news on Atlantis casting. Those interviews appear to have been conducted in December, with Wright?s before Cooper?s. Since the site requires high bandwidth connection, and even then has a hard time getting through an entire interview, we provide a summary of the points of most interest here. Warning: major spoilers!

-------------------------------------------------------

Robert C. Cooper
SG-1?s final episode, ?Unending?, will have the team trapped on board a ship, within a time dilation field, for 50 years. We will see how the relationships might develop and evolve. It represents one possible future given a certain set of circumstances. RCC wrote and directed the episode because he wanted to be on set during the emotional final days of filming. He feels it is a fitting end to the 1-hour series era of SG-1. At the end of the episode, the events will be ?undone?.
The pay-off of the Ori storyline will be in the first DVD movie, which RCC is writing and directing. He had planned it as an arc for Season 11, but will now resolve it in a ?very exciting? two hours. MGM has financed the movies based only on projected DVD sales, but are looking for broadcast deals as well. The funding for each of the 2 DVD movies is more than it would be for 2 episodes, but still nowhere near a feature-type budget, so they will be using their creativity to make it look big on a TV-movie budget. All of the main cast have signed for the movie, and they have contacted RDA about appearing as O?Neill in one or both movies. No work on whether that will work out business-wise or not.
Because the first DVD movie will be a continuation of Season 10, the DVD will include a 1-hour special on the history of Stargate so that viewers who haven?t seen all of Stargate will know what is going on. The special will be called ?Stargate Mythology? and will include material on how real-world ancient mythology has played into the Stargate shows.
The second movie is more of a standalone story, although, if the actors are available, it will bring back a lot of fan favorites. The intention is to get fans used to the idea of SG-1 movies, to whet their appetites for more.
The movies will not be tied to an exact length, so they can edit them to have all the scenes and shots that make sense for the stories, rather than being tied to 44:15 like they were for episodes. They will also be shot in widescreen 16?9 format without ?protecting? the center of the screen, for a movie-like feel.
RCC and BW will continue as executive producers of Atlantis even though Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie are the show-runners. RCC will be there every day in his office.
The movies will keep RCC and BW busy until the summer time. They are writing now, planning of 4 weeks of shooting for each starting in mid April, then the usual post-production.
In the meantime they are working on the concept of the 3rd series with MGM. If all goes well, it would go into production sometime in the summer for airing at the beginning of 2008. RCC would only say the series maintains the spirit of Stargate, but opens up a whole new ?universe.? They have no idea where the series might air. It is too early to say anything like that.
Amanda Tapping will be joining the cast of Atlantis for 14 episodes in Season 4. He recognizes some SGA fans won?t be happy to have SG-1 characters crossing over, but he believes it will encourage SG-1 fans to watch and that AT is a great actress and Carter a very likable character.
RCC feels it is totally up to Sci Fi to schedule and promote Atlantis to make sure people know it?s on and watch it.

Brad Wright
The first SG-1 DVD movie will be called Stargate: The Ark of Truth. In it, the team will travel to the Ori galaxy. The Ori arc will end with this movie.
The second DVD movie will be called Stargate Continuum. It will be a time travel story. He wants to prove it could be the first in a string that could continue the SG-1 legacy. It will feature characters who are dead in current show canon, but can be brought back because of time travel. He would really like RDA to be in one or both movies, but it?s up to RDA and the business side to work it out. At the time of the interview, Beau Bridges was not yet signed for the movies. Wright hopes that Martin Wood will direct the second movie.
He thinks Season 3 of SGA was the best so far and hopes and expects Atlantis to go beyond Season 4. He is also very committed to helping and remaining involved.
He is very relieved they are making 24 hours of TV this year (20 hours of Atlantis plus 4 hours of DVD movies) instead of 40. That was a ?stupid? amount of work to do both shows at once for three years with only one additional writer.
He does not feel going direct to DVD for the movies is a bad thing. As home theaters become so good, more and more people prefer to watch movies on DVD. The 16?9 widescreen format gives them a lot more freedom to film in a movie style as well, rather than having to keep all the action in the center of the screen for 4?3 TV?s.
If the Stargate Worlds on-line game does well [financially], it will really help the franchise continue.
Torri Higginson will be back for some period of time in Season 4, but she will be a recurring character (!).

http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=734

More Carter :thumbup:
Less Weir :thumbsdown:

Ah come on. Weir ain't that bad. She does have a few qualities, she is nice to look at for one. Carter is better but Weir ain't too shabby.

Ah come on. Weir ain't that bad. She does have a few qualities, she is nice to look at for one. Carter is better but Weir ain't too shabby.

Oops, maybe my post wasn't that clear. I like Weir too! I was referring to these announcements:

Amanda Tapping will be joining the cast of Atlantis for 14 episodes in Season 4.
Torri Higginson will be back for some period of time in Season 4, but she will be a recurring character.

I'm excited about the introduction of Carter on SGA, but I just hope she's not replacing Weir.