Several new SCI FI Shows in development

I'm excited about the introduction of Carter on SGA, but I just hope she's not replacing Weir.

I wouldn't think so.

I don't really care if Weir gets the boot, I never really liked her character much anyway. I would love to see Richard Dean Andersen's character do something to get demoted so he can get back in the field and head up Atlantis' military detachment.

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer today officially announced that it has greenlit the two Stargate SG-1 movies in development, which we reported on earlier (story): Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum. The company also released the first solid plot details for the two films.

Beware of spoilers below! Here's how the studio describes the storylines:

Stargate: The Ark of Truth
"As SG-1 searches for an Ancient artifact which they hope can defeat the armies of the Ori, they learn more Ori ships are about to be sent through the Supergate to launch a final assault on Earth. Daniel discovers that the artifact, the Ark of Truth, may be in the Ori home galaxy, and SG-1 embarks aboard the Odyssey to find it, and pre-empt the attack. The I.O.A. has a plan of their own and SG-1 ends up in a distant galaxy fighting two powerful enemies."

Stargate: Continuum
"While SG-1 attends the execution of Baal, the last of the Goa'uld System Lords, Teal'c and Vala inexplicably disappear into thin air. Carter, Daniel and Mitchell race back to a world where history has been changed: the Stargate program has been erased from the timeline. As they try to convince the authorities what's happened, a fleet of Goa'uld motherships arrives in orbit, led by Baal, his queen, Katesh (Vala), and his first prime, Teal'c. SG-1 must find the Stargate and set things right before the world is enslaved by the Goa'uld."

The first film will enter pre-production in March and begin filming in April, with an expected DVD release in the fall.

Visit the new pages for these two movies in GateWorld's Movies section to read more!

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2007/01/mgm_reveals_movie_storylines.shtml

I'm glad they are doing these. Are they going to be made-for-TV films or theatrical releases?

Oh, and the "Spoiler" tags are useful for stuff like that, although there are no real spoilers involved, just teasings of the plot setup.

It still doesn't explain why SciFi channel cancelled SG1 after 10 seasons. :S
It's clear the people behind Starg?te still have some ideas and stories to tell so why cancel it?

Probably because they could not pay for SG-1, Atlantis, BSG, Eureka and some of these new shows they have coming out. It doesn't make sense to me, because SG-1 and Atlantis shared sets and cast, reducing the cost of doing both shows.