shad's Mercedes 190E

My old 190E lost coolant on a regular basis, as soon as the weather heated up a bit, it would piss it out the overflow tube on top of the expansion tank until it hit minimum. I just carried a few liters of demineralised water with me at all times in case it got real low.

My old 190E lost coolant on a regular basis, as soon as the weather heated up a bit, it would piss it out the overflow tube on top of the expansion tank until it hit minimum. I just carried a few liters of demineralised water with me at all times in case it got real low.

Are we the Overheating bros now? :D

So far no luck finding someone and getting it done on the cheap side.

I'm even thinking about getting rid of the car now, but with T?V only valid for a couple more months that doesn't seem like a promising idea...

No, because it didn't overheat.

Shame.

So far no luck finding someone and getting it done on the cheap side.

I'm even thinking about getting rid of the car now, but with T?V only valid for a couple more months that doesn't seem like a promising idea...

Sad to hear that . :(

If you're having corrosion problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but rust ain't one!

... or something like that. Not really though, in truth.
Found someone who did the stuff that needs welding, for a reasonable price. And, as I suspected, the area around the rear jack support has been tempered with already, and they did quite a botchjob as it seems. Could explain why the rust came out so hideously after the winter. Shame on me for not noticing that before I bought the car though... tbh it seems like I fell into the classic trap of a car done up to appear like a good deal. :(

Anyway, the welded bits around the wheelarch are still blank, so I need to primer and then paint them. Trim pieces need to be reattached (after getting new clips for them), too.

Also ordered a set of new winter tires just now.

I found a set of BBS crossspokes on ebay that should fit my car and supposedly come with a T?V Gutachten. Pics look like they're in decent condition, and as the seller is near me I asked if I could come see them.

Price is 150?. Yay or nay? :think:

Pics:
felg1ged08.jpg

felg26bcwo.jpg

Last edited:
They need the center caps, those can be hard to find in matching condition.

Bought the wheels, they're not perfect but if you take the condition of the car itself into account they are good enough. ABE also confirms that I can mount them on my car without problems. :)

stupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupid

Went to the cinema today, and when I left the parking garage again I didn't pay attention, like a complete idiot, and subsequently hit a pillar on one of the ramps. :|
And because I'm a complete moron I didn't stop and take a look right then and there, but decided it was a good idea to drive home first.
Aftermath: the trim piece on the left rear door has been torn off, there's quite a few big scratches on the door itself, and a huge scratch down the edge on the rear wheelarch, in some spots down to the bare metal.

Additionally, it has basically been raining constantly for the past few weeks, and I discovered that the rear screen is apparently still leaking into the trunk on the left. And becauses of the welding on the left side of the trunk the water doesn't even drain, but forms a puddle in the recess.

:wall:

Last edited:
Hmm, I wonder whether that leak is caused by the rear screen any more. It might be the seals, or possibly one of the sunroof drain hoses.

Also, if the trunk doesn't drain properly, it may even be possible that the trunk is so well sealed, a puddle of condensation water forms in where it can't drain out.